• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching off Monette?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Switching off Monette? Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm currently playing a Monette B2S3 (non-Prana) and I love the way it sounds and the intonation. The one issue I'm running into is that when I get up into the upper register of the horn (around high C and above) I feel like I'm falling into the mouthpiece. There is hardly anything to push against. Never had this problem with other brands even with larger throats. I've tried pushing more air to see if I could get the mouthpiece to push back with no luck.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a different Monette you would recommend? Is is possible my technique is off? Thanks in advance
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be any of a number of things...

To begin with, though, what's your range like generally? Are we talking about your upper limits here or a step or two down from where you've been before?

Are you in practice? As silly as it sounds to ask, I believe that gear changes require honest and thorough evaluation from yourself - what is wrong? What do I want/need instead? Is xyz helping?
None of these questions can be honestly answered if out of practice - so often getting into fighting shape fixes problems and the questions go away.

Honestly, I've not noticed any real change in that register when using similarly designed pieces (it's been a couple of years since I used monette, but I've used AR Resonance much more recently)...
Then again, it could be that the ID or alpha are slightly off, or maybe something else just isn't quite you - it might be the general design (large/long throat and short backbore) or just that particular model.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a B2LD? Or a B4L if you’re looking for something more commercial. Contact BJ at Monette, he’s the go-to mouthpiece guy nowadays. The people at Monette have always been super helpful. Call them!
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why Josh Landress told me once he has a shop full of Monnette and Adams tanks in his shop. Trade ins.
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
It could be any of a number of things...

To begin with, though, what's your range like generally? Are we talking about your upper limits here or a step or two down from where you've been before?

Are you in practice? As silly as it sounds to ask, I believe that gear changes require honest and thorough evaluation from yourself - what is wrong? What do I want/need instead? Is xyz helping?
None of these questions can be honestly answered if out of practice - so often getting into fighting shape fixes problems and the questions go away.

Honestly, I've not noticed any real change in that register when using similarly designed pieces (it's been a couple of years since I used monette, but I've used AR Resonance much more recently)...
Then again, it could be that the ID or alpha are slightly off, or maybe something else just isn't quite you - it might be the general design (large/long throat and short backbore) or just that particular model.

These are all great points! I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability...

My range hasn't changed on the Monette, it's just much more difficult. I've been on the Monette for around 6 months now and have experience with them, but I've never run into the lack of support in the upper register with Monette before. My upper limit is around B just below double C, so high C isn't strained at all.

I do still practice, although admittedly not as much as when I was young. On the other hand though, my playing requirements aren't nearly as demanding. I play at my church and high C - high D is about as high as I ever go.

I'm thinking of switching to GR or Pickett, but I'm still kicking tires.
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
Maybe try a B2LD? Or a B4L if you’re looking for something more commercial. Contact BJ at Monette, he’s the go-to mouthpiece guy nowadays. The people at Monette have always been super helpful. Call them!

I don't know why I didn't think of this. Professor Anklan coming through with the wisdom as usual!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, you have to find a mouthpiece/horn combination that "puts the resistance where you want it."

It's not so much about one brand vs another. It's finding a combination that works for you, personally. It's not even a sign that your technique is wrong, per se. It's just not balanced for you.

If your mouthpiece is "too open" and you feel like you're "falling into the mouthpiece," that's a sign that the resistance is too far into the horn for you. There are likely Monette mouthpieces available that will have more resistance up front like you need - or another brand. You just have to try them and see.

But I will say this. If I played on a mouthpiece and my first impression was that it was too open for me and I was falling into it, I would immediately put it down and find one that feels comfortable for me!

I like resistance right up in front of the horn so I generally favor small leadpipes, small bore horns, and have even been moving towards more "commercial" backbores on my mouthpieces. So you have to find what works for you.

Find a mouthpiece that actually makes it easy to play and don't worry about what Wynton is playing on. Good luck!
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Find a mouthpiece that actually makes it easy to play and don't worry about what Wynton is playing on.

Your entire reply is much appreciated, but this is my all time favorite thing I've ever read on this website Thanks!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its a gap issue. Measure your gap and see how big it is. Monette mouthpieces tend to give a bigger gap because he wants a bigger sized exit hole at the end of the shank. I used a Harrelson shim kit to reduce the gap on my Bach and it did improve the ease of moving between notes and overall response. You can buy the shims more cheaply than the entire kit and fit them with a pencil. Its easier than having the receiver moved.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Switching off Monette? Reply with quote

jazzhorn04 wrote:
Hey all. I'm currently playing a Monette B2S3 (non-Prana) and I love the way it sounds and the intonation. The one issue I'm running into is that when I get up into the upper register of the horn (around high C and above) I feel like I'm falling into the mouthpiece. There is hardly anything to push against. Never had this problem with other brands even with larger throats. I've tried pushing more air to see if I could get the mouthpiece to push back with no luck.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a different Monette you would recommend? Is is possible my technique is off? Thanks in advance

If you like Monette, I would try ditching the S. I think it opens up into the cup too soon. At least for me. I don't think it's an air thing, the shape of the cup has to fit you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: