• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Tonguing Reply with quote

I have a question about the tonguing exercise 22 (p 28 MCFB).

What kind of break is advised between lines? No rest is really indicated. I am assuming the 4 rules still apply which means that you don't take the horn off the face. But obviously some type of break is needed (at least for me). I find it pretty hard to make it all the way through the 6 lines if I don't take more than a measure off at some point. I also play each line in one breath.

I'm also working to increase the tempo of the exercise up to 120 at least. Please let me know if this is not the correct approach.

Thanks.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the tempo in the 60-100 range. As it becomes easy to play the entire exercise, you might add a further subdivision of the beat at the initial tempo....32nd notes or 16th note triplets.

As with the intervals, play through the exercise to the point of failure. When no sound comes out, continue to the end of that measure as if it sounds perfect. Rest 15-20 seconds and them resume with a fresh setting at the beginning of the measure where chop failure occurred. Before long you will be able to play the entire exercise in one setting.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually keep the tempo in the 60 to 80 range. Focus on the time.
Insert a 4 beat measure (as with the intervals) to breathe, whenever necessary.
For me, the tonguing (C to G) has always been the most "painful" of all the exercises.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It just seemed natural to me to increase the speed as far as I could - that's why I'm no pedagogical genius.

At this point I can't, and can't imagine making it through the whole exercise without failure at the slower tempos. Looking forward to achieving it someday ...

As an aside, I think my biggest current problem is not being able to play anything continuously for much more than a minute or so - no matter how easy.
PH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've already worked your way through the first 11 or 12 weeks (minimum) of Caruso practice (as outlined in the Getting Started & Getting Started 2 threads near the top of this forum), you shouldn't be having the kind of endurance problems you describe...even with the tonguing exercise. Even when you introduce the tonguing exercise in lesson 12 you should have a little bit of a challenge, but you shouldn't need to do it for too many days before you adjust.

If you didn't follow the schedule of study outlined in the various Getting Started threads (sticky posts at the top of this forum), I suggest you go read them and roll back to the very beginning and practice the week one drills and work your way through the calisthenics according to the prescribed schedule. Spend a MINIMUM of one week on each lesson before moving on, but it is not a problem to spend even one month on each lesson before moving on.
JazzRetreats.com
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
If you've already worked your way through the first 11 or 12 weeks (minimum) of Caruso practice (as outlined in the Getting Started & Getting Started 2 threads near the top of this forum), you shouldn't be having the kind of endurance problems you describe...even with the tonguing exercise. Even when you introduce the tonguing exercise in lesson 12 you should have a little bit of a challenge, but you shouldn't need to do it for too many days before you adjust.

If you didn't follow the schedule of study outlined in the various Getting Started threads (sticky posts at the top of this forum), I suggest you go read them and roll back to the very beginning and practice the week one drills and work your way through the calisthenics according to the prescribed schedule. Spend a MINIMUM of one week on each lesson before moving on, but it is not a problem to spend even one month on each lesson before moving on.

Maybe I exaggerated/underestimated my endurance issue, as I perceive it as my #1 concern/weakness at the moment. I did the tonguing exercise at 80 bpm today and made it through with 4 beats between each line. I actually did it backwards (started on C by mistake and just went down instead of restarting).

I do not use the full MCFB routine, but I usually do SLS and tonguing as part of my morning warmup/practice and currently do a 30 minute daily evening practice out of the Flexus book which includes progressive exercises of: Six Notes, Note Bends, Pedal Study, Articulations (working up to developed scales).

I haven't really asked a question yet, so if I am practicing the tonguing exercise in this way (without introducing anything faster than the sixteenths) will this help my tonguing speed? Or put another way, what is this tonguing exercise supposed to be doing for me?
PH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, just do it...if you are ready. If you really want to work specifically on tonguing you should supplement with Arban, Goldman, etc. Caruso calisthenics work on what ever you need to adjust without you needing to diagnose your specific problems.

If I were you, I would try to start at the beginning and work your way through the entire system of Caruso drills as outlined. I think you will be glad you did.
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: