• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Xeno vs Schilke S-HD Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishbones_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Yamaha Xeno vs Schilke S-HD Series Reply with quote

Hey y'all. I was wondering about your guys' thoughts on the Yamaha 8335RS and RGS (new generation) against the Schilke S-HD Series. I plan on using it for mostly classical, solo, and chamber work with maybe a little jazz combo thrown in for fun. I'd also welcome some feedback on how some Bach bells stack up against these two, particularly the 65 and 72.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these horns are much closer to Bach 37 and 43 profiles than 65 and 72.

They're both great. But, they feel substantially different.
Personally, I think the Yamaha is a more well rounded horn than the Schilke.
I've played a lot on the 8335rgsII. But, GREATLY preferred the regular 8335SII model. (Especially for legit playing). But, the Schilke is a very solid horn. Kind of funny...people say the Yamaha's are very vanilla sounding...I feel that way about Schilkes big horns. But, also think that 'vanilla sound' is often misconstrued for being super even across registers.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Yamaha vs Schilke Reply with quote

Hello all,
Both horns are built with an integrity and quality in mind. They play differently, as they both have a unique response and sound. I think it would take some time in a big room to really discover the nuances.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
I've played [...] the 8335rgsII. But, GREATLY preferred the regular 8335SII model.

+1.
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Xeno vs Schilke S-HD Series Reply with quote

[quote="Fishbones_I plan on using it for mostly classical, solo, and chamber work with maybe a little jazz combo thrown in for fun.[/quote]

Hi

Considering what you plan to use it for, my recommendation would be for the YTR-8335(S)II e.g. the standard tuning slide configuration ever the YTR-8335R(S) or YTR-8335RG(S). I play this trumpet, and find it to be absolutely great for classical and orchestral playing. I play it with a James R New custom top (copy of the cup end of my 2005 Bach 3C) combined with his version of a standard Bach 10 backbore (rather than his S backbore), cut for sleeves and with his 6.5 sleeve.

I find this combination to have a very smooth and even response, with a fairly compact sound, which is pure, clear, smooth and refined. Although I'd describe the sound as fairly compact, I don't mean that it is small, more that is fairly concentrated. This trumpet in my opinion has an excellent dynamic range, and is really easy to play quietly but can be pretty loud when pushed.

Personally I'm however not quite sure of the sound of this combination for my Jazz band. Although this is a pretty general purpose trumpet which works well in a variety of styles, to my taste it is a little smooth sounding (at least with my mouthpiece) for Jazz, and I'd personally prefer a slightly bigger broader sound.

I also own a 1979 Bach 37, and although they sound pretty similar when recorded on my admittedly rather crude microphone set-up, I find the Bach 37 a little better for Jazz, maybe this is because it is a little less smooth and the sound is a little bigger.

I also wonder whether the fact that my Xeno is in lacquer is making a small difference, and that maybe silver-plate would give a little extra brightness to the sound (my Bach 37 is in scratch-gold plate).

Anyway, I think that the Yamaha Xeno II with the standard tuning slide configuration is a great trumpet. I haven't played a Schilke.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Fishbones_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
Both of these horns are much closer to Bach 37 and 43 profiles than 65 and 72.

They're both great. But, they feel substantially different.
Personally, I think the Yamaha is a more well rounded horn than the Schilke.
I've played a lot on the 8335rgsII. But, GREATLY preferred the regular 8335SII model. (Especially for legit playing). But, the Schilke is a very solid horn. Kind of funny...people say the Yamaha's are very vanilla sounding...I feel that way about Schilkes big horns. But, also think that 'vanilla sound' is often misconstrued for being super even across registers.

When you said the Yamaha was more well rounded, did you mean that it had a sound applicable in more jazz and commercial type situations, and are you implying that the Schilke has its sound more focused in legit playing?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just saying that I think the Yamaha is a great all around horn.
Great for legit! Solid for commercial and lead. (Without being a 'lead' horn)
It doesn't shut down in the high register. But, it's not a lightweight horn either. So, can be a bit more work since it takes a bit more work to 'heat up' for lead.

The Schilke plays nicely. But, I don't think it has the depth of sound to make it as good as an all-around horn. Not saying it isn't solid. But in comparing the two, I think it's fairly clear.
Fishbones_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
I'm just saying that I think the Yamaha is a great all around horn.
Great for legit! Solid for commercial and lead. (Without being a 'lead' horn)
It doesn't shut down in the high register. But, it's not a lightweight horn either. So, can be a bit more work since it takes a bit more work to 'heat up' for lead.

The Schilke plays nicely. But, I don't think it has the depth of sound to make it as good as an all-around horn. Not saying it isn't solid. But in comparing the two, I think it's fairly clear.

So you're just saying the Schilke lacks that type of sound to shine in commercial situations, right? It sort of pigeonholes itself in symphonic playing?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbones_ wrote:

When you said the Yamaha was more well rounded, did you mean that it had a sound applicable in more jazz and commercial type situations, and are you implying that the Schilke has its sound more focused in legit playing?

Hi Fishbones

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure whether you've read my post above, and obviously I am not the poster to which you asked the question I've quoted, but I really don't think that the Yamaha does have a sound more applicable for Jazz and commercial type situations. My honest opinion is that the Yamaha Xeno II is a very good all-around horn which can successfully be used in all playing situations, but that its sound and response leans more towards classical playing than Jazz/commercial. To put it another way, I used to primarily play a Bach 37, I was happy with it for both orchestral playing and Jazz. I switched to primarily playing a Xeno II a year ago. I've gone from merely being happy with my trumpet for orchestral applications to thinking what a great trumpet this is for orchestral playing, whilst being slightly less happy with the sound of my trumpet in my Jazz band, and finding it a little classical sounding. I'm not sure whether it is the overall level of brightness, compactness of sound, or as I suspect, if it is just the evenness of response, which as much as I love a clean pure sound in all applications, just maybe equates to being a little classical sounding compared to what I was used to with my Bach 37. In fact, I'm thinking of going back to my Bach 37 for Jazz, and keeping to my Xeno II for orchestral and concert band playing.

I have no experience with the Schilke, but a Bach 37 trumpet may be worth a try, unless of course this is what you are already playing. The Bach 37 is a great all-around horn in my opinion.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbones_ wrote:

So you're just saying the Schilke lacks that type of sound to shine in commercial situations, right? It sort of pigeonholes itself in symphonic playing?

No, I didn't say that. I said the Schilke doesn't have as much depth, color. I would actually think it would be a better commercial horn than a classical one.

The HD design was to give more weight and depth to the original Schilke designs. It is heavier. But, to me, its very much the same tone. A good tone! But, opaque. I prefer a B5 to the newer HD designs.

BUT...try them. Might be the perfect horn for YOU! They didn't work FOR ME.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played a Schilke HD series instrument, but I've watched video demos and I haven't heard anything that I think would remove them from consideration as a good all-around trumpet. They sound great to me.

I really like my Yamaha Xeno, and I'd recommend it for all around playing. I've used it in wind ensemble, church services, jazz band, and pit orchestra for musicals (I'm currently working up Catch Me If You Can, which is written in big band swing style--lots of shakes, fall offs, bendy stuff, etc. The instrument is well-suited for this, but I've got lots of work ahead of me to finish learning the book!)

So I'd encourage you to play-test examples and decide for yourself. Either brand might have a model that would be a great choice for you.
Piccolo Stomvi
Fishbones_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the responses, guys. In terms of the Xeno, do you guys think the standard Xeno or the reversed leadpipe Xeno works better for classical/symphonic playing?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the standard leadpipe version has slightly more resistance in the blow than the reverse leadpipe model, but not to the point where it feels too stuffy. I prefer the extra resistance--it's been a life saver for me on strenuous performances. But you might prefer a more open blow, in which case you might like the reverse leadpipe better.

Chase Sanborn wrote that he thought the standard leadpipe version sounds a bit different than the reverse leadpipe version, but I thought they were pretty close. The blow was the deciding factor for me.
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbones_ wrote:
Okay, thanks for the responses, guys. In terms of the Xeno, do you guys think the standard Xeno or the reversed leadpipe Xeno works better for classical/symphonic playing?

Hi Fishbones

I think that the standard leadpipe Xeno works better for classical/symphonic playing.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For straight up classical? I much prefer the standard leadpipe.
I like the reverse too, but can get swimmy with larger pieces (opened throats and BB's). Great with commercial equipment.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I found the standard leadpipe version has slightly more resistance in the blow than the reverse leadpipe model, but not to the point where it feels too stuffy. I prefer the extra resistance--it's been a life saver for me on strenuous performances. But you might prefer a more open blow, in which case you might like the reverse leadpipe better.

Chase Sanborn wrote that he thought the standard leadpipe version sounds a bit different than the reverse leadpipe version, but I thought they were pretty close. The blow was the deciding factor for me.

Hi

Another thing to consider may be the following:

It may be owing to my 2005 Bach 3C having a shank on the larger side of the range found for Bach mouthpieces (According to a UK tech who has produced his own mouthpiece sleeves system, and has measured a fair number of mouthpiece shanks. The same tech says that Yamaha trumpet mouthpieces tend to gap on the smaller side of the range found for Bach mouthpieces), the fact that I am used to playing cornets without a gap, or my own gap preferences, but I personally couldn't get my Xeno II to play well for me until I tried a copy of my mouthpiece cut for sleeves. It may be coincidental, but the best sleeve for me with this trumpet, is one that replicates the insertion amount of the supplied 16C4 mouthpiece, which inserts just over 1mm further than my Bach 3C. Since the gap that works best for me is the one with the supplied mouthpiece, I'm not sure whether this is anything to do with my gap preferences or the gap with which this trumpet is designed to play best with. I say the last part, because when I discussed this previously on the forum, I believe somebody, possibly a tech, said that Yamaha trumpets are designed to play with a particular gap. I don't know, only that this trumpet seems pretty sensitive to gap, and I personally found the standard tuning slide configuration stuffy and unresponsive with a 1mm larger gap. I tried the reversed tuning slide configuration but with the Xeno I, and didn't really like it. For me at least, reducing the gap was the way to open up this trumpet. Initially trying it with the 2005 Bach 3C I play on my Bach 37, the Yamaha Xeno II had a lot more resistance. Maybe this is just my Bach 37 compared to my Xeno II, but I believe the Xenos to be pretty consistent.

Anyway, I've opened up the blow of mine via sleeves and I really like the way it plays. To get to the point, my honest opinion is that the Xeno II is rather sensitive and responsive to changes in gap, and this is another thing I would consider in addition to whether the standard or reversed tuning slide model gives a preferred level of resistance for you.

I also wonder about the differences between the lacquered and silver-plated Xeno IIs. With some manufacturers there is so much variation from horn to horn that it is difficult to ascertain whether finish is having an affect, but from the threads I've read on various Yamaha horns, people do seem to have a preference for one finish or the other. If I hadn't bought my trumpet as an ex-demo, I would have liked to have tried both finishes.

Take Care

Lou

P.S. I fully appreciate that I keep banging on about gap regarding the Xeno II and I apologise for this, but since I nearly rejected what has turned out to be a great trumpet, because it gapped very badly for me with a 2005 Bach 3C (Although a UK tech says my 3C gaps on the large side of the range which he has measured for Bach mouthpieces, I have three Bach 3Cs from this era and they all insert around 24mm in the receiver compared to around 25mm for my 1994 Bach 7C and the supplied Yamaha 16C4), I think that it is worth mentioning, especially as at least my Xeno II, seems to be very gap sensitive. If this trumpet didn't seem particularly gap sensitive or I was using an unusual mouthpiece, I wouldn't say anything, but since I am using a reasonably modern Bach 3C and I presume Yamaha Xeno IIs to be pretty consistent, I think that it is worth mentioning to prevent somebody else rejecting this trumpet owing to gap issues. Sorry again for repeating myself.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for getting WAY off topic!!!!

Lou,
Have you ever tried a 14b4 in place of your Bach 3C?
Would be interesting what you thoughts were? Every Yamaha I've played played has benefited from a Yamaha mouthpiece (when replacing a Bach mouthpiece). Which, totally explains your gap thoughts. I don't know if it's shank length or shank taper. But, my 8335SII, 9335NY, 9445NY are all more even and more resonant when using a 16C4 over my Bach 1.5C's.

Added bonus that I have four 16C4's that I use and they all feel exactly the same. (Regular weight, GP model, rim on Parke underpart, and Sterling Silver model)

Can never say the same about Bachs mouthpieces.

Also, my 9835 picc sings with a Yamaha 11A5 and GR 64p-m. The Bach 7e has eveness issues
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
Lou,
Have you ever tried a 14b4 in place of your Bach 3C? Would be interesting what you thoughts were?

Hi a.kemp

No, not on my particular Xeno II, but I used to use a Yamaha 14B4 when demonstrating the Xeno I at the music shop at which I used to work and it played well.

Every Yamaha I've played played has benefited from a Yamaha mouthpiece (when replacing a Bach mouthpiece). Which, totally explains your gap thoughts. I don't know if it's shank length or shank taper. But, my 8335SII, 9335NY, 9445NY are all more even and more resonant when using a 16C4 over my Bach 1.5C's.

Very interesting, thanks. I believe that the taper of Bach and Yamaha mouthpieces are the same, but that the Yamaha mouthpieces have a slightly smaller shank end diameter, resulting in them inserting further into the receiver.

I thought about switching to a Yamaha 14B4, but decided in the end to stick to my Bach 3C/Kanstul modular top copies, since I already had a few modular components. Jim New has made me some more modular tops since he started his James R New mouthpiece range. I find that the Kanstul B series cornet backbores gap like Yamaha cornet mouthpieces, and a sleeved James R New backbore/James R New 6.5 sleeve inserts just a bit further than a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece. When altering the gap to match that of a Yamaha mouthpiece, my Yamaha horns seem to come alive. I would totally agree with your description of more even and resonant.

Added bonus that I have four 16C4's that I use and they all feel exactly the same. (Regular weight, GP model, rim on Parke underpart, and Sterling Silver model)

I totally agree about the consistency of Yamaha.

Can never say the same about Bachs mouthpieces.

Very true, hence my modular top copies.

Also, my 9835 picc sings with a Yamaha 11A5 and GR 64p-m. The Bach 7e has eveness issues

That is again interesting.

Thanks very much.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Fishbones_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone! For all the Bachaholics out there, what are your thoughts on the 37, 65, and 72 bells for symphonic and general classical repertoire?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180s37 ML for classical playing.
Not the only Bach that'll work. But, hard to beat. (That's why every other company copies it.)

The Artisan Bb and 190S37 are also great. All are roughly the same with minor differences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: