• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best quote in some time!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Best quote in some time! Reply with quote

By Arturo Sandoval, on Facebook, responding to the question of whether he always sounds terrific:

"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous."

Brad
Todunz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite quotes about music and education: "Some people think music education is a privilege, but I think it's essential to being human."
Jewel
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back during our youth most of my peers switched career and life priorities in order to make a better living. Instead of doing that I only accepted employment that allowed me the maximum amount of time behind the trumpet.

"I worked regular jobs just to support my music habit".

Is my quote of the day. And sometimes I almost envy my peers whose devotion to non music related enterprises allowed them to accumulate lots of money. And to some extent money does buy some freedoms. Or as my father used to say,

"Lionel its no sin to be poor buts it sure is damned inconvenient".

Both mom and dad lived through all those years and tears of the Great Depression.

"I am so lucky to have never gone to bed hungry!"

However despite my seeming poverty (at times lol) I have a heckuva good life. On any given week there are always two nights when at least 20 to 30 other musicians need me to show up and play my trumpet and cornet. To my way of thinking this is more fun than taking a vacation to Europe or even Hawaii. And I really like the Hawaiian islands too.

So in a way I have no regrets about taking the path which I chose. As I would much rather feel needed and loved than to be able to buy a fine new car. And on the subject of playing amateur or professional gigs:

When I was 20 years old it was very important to my ego to hold down a professional steady gig on the trumpet. Not today however. Today my only goal is to get my music out there. And hopefully get a lot or at least some of it out there on CD's. So I take the advice of Waylon Jennings,

"Dont take your music to Nashville. The doors will always be closed. Instead play so well where you are right now today. Playing so well that Nashville comes to YOU. At that time all of Nashville's doors will be wide open..."

You can substitute "Nashville" for L/A, NYC or anywhere else which has the most successful musicians. Seen from this perspective? I no longer feel concerned about playing low paying gigs. Or even freebies. In a way they're more fun as most times the better paying music gigs require you to play music which you can't stand. That and Ive often found professional type jobs to have really mean music directors. Faced with these kinds of problems?

"I would much rather play music I enjoy rather than that which pays well but I don"t like".

Last quote,

"That new guy on trumpet really plays beautifully. Too bad he never amounted to anything in his career"

A comment I overheard from an amateur percussionist. She describing a fellow trumpet player in a community band ensemble. He was a total ringer. Played like an angel. Held the whole trumpet section together. Which in turn prevented the band from falling apart. And yet this woman in her materialistic orientation or worldview couldn't see that this fine trumpet player was keeping the whole band alive. That and bringing much meaning into the lives of everyone surrounding him. Including this shallow minded woman.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Best Quote in some time Reply with quote

This one is personal so some people might not think it funny but years ago after I got into recovery from alcohol I started playing alot again, in church and community band. We always did summer concerts in the park and on one occasion this young lady and I were going to play a trumpet duet together. He introduced her and said said that she was serving a small Lutheran parish in the area and then when introduced me he said, "this is Brian who many of you know. He had a promising career in music until it was discovered that he couldn't finish any composition because he had to stop at every bar!" That band director passed years ago and that is one of my fondest memories of him. I knew he wouldn't say something like that to embarrass. Lots of people laughed in the audience, too. Small town of 9000, everyone knows ya. Thanks for an interesting topic.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel
The subject line was ‘best quote in some time’. Did you just present 3-4 Lionel quotes you just remembered? What up with that Lionel?

The rest of the message seems pretty unrelated to the subject as well. Just so I can understand where you are coming from - what is the point of this post?
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Lionel
The subject line was ‘best quote in some time’. Did you just present 3-4 Lionel quotes you just remembered? What up with that Lionel?

The rest of the message seems pretty unrelated to the subject as well. Just so I can understand where you are coming from - what is the point of this post?
Rod

I think the point of his post is just more of his egocentric writings.

Hey, I’ve certainly been guilty of derailing threads here, but not to take it as an opportunity to talk about myself.

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m guilty as well, but WTF?
This has no relation to anything I have any interest in following. I waste enough time myself without others helping me.
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
This has no relation to anything I have any interest in following. I waste enough time myself without others helping me.
Rod

I try to remember here on TH that I always have the option of simply finding something else more productive to do, no one is compelling me to either read or comment on this stuff. That being said, more than a few of us are “regulars” here, and commenting on what seems to be egocentric behavior probably isn’t inappropriate.

I don’t mean to “take shots” at the poster in question, but maybe he’ll see some of these comments and think twice before posting what I feel are comments that have more to do with personal ego than productive contributions.

Or maybe not......

Brad
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Lionel

Rod

I think the point of his post is just more of his egocentric writings.

Hey, I’ve certainly been guilty of derailing threads here, but not to take it as an opportunity to talk about myself.

Brad

Amen to that Brad. He gets to write about his favorite subject, himself.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

I try to remember here on TH that I always have the option of simply finding something else more productive to do, no one is compelling me to either read or comment on this stuff. That being said, more than a few of us are “regulars” here, and commenting on what seems to be egocentric behavior probably isn’t inappropriate.
Or maybe not......
Brad

Sorry that's my last bish for the holiday season. Just hate to see any forum get subverted from its purpose, but this is the LOUNGE and I usually don't even read here. Best scenario is that the outright hints are taken, second is ignoring what you can and speaking out about what you cant ignore. Worst of all is to leave garbage out there disguised as wholesome snacks for some to gobble. this wasn't one of those cases and I should have just kept my mouth shut.

My mommy used to say "Shut UP" - Ill take that advice. my not quite made up quote of the day.
Rod
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asked what I would do if I won the lotto I responded:

"Keep playing trumpet until the money runs out"
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

Or maybe not......
Brad

Sorry that's my last bish for the holiday season. Just hate to see any forum get subverted from its purpose, but this is the LOUNGE and I usually don't even read here. Best scenario is that the outright hints are taken, second is ignoring what you can and speaking out about what you cant ignore. Worst of all is to leave garbage out there disguised as wholesome snacks for some to gobble. this wasn't one of those cases and I should have just kept my mouth shut.

My mommy used to say "Shut UP" - Ill take that advice. my not quite made up quote of the day.
Rod

Rod,

FWIW, my comments were in no way meant as a criticism of yours, and I agree with what you have said. I’m only speaking for myself; sometimes I do get annoyed by certain commentary from certain posters, but I also think that sometimes just ignoring it is the best bet, again, just speaking for myself.

Hope you had a good turkey day!

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t think you were, just editorializing on my response. Every forum has these issues and I really should only respond when I know something isn’t right. That alone will limit my responses as at this point in my comeback I’m working on things I’ve never touched on before and I’m finding new stuff that works and doesn’t work daily. And other than some basics I’ve started to get a good handle on I’m still figuring out what’s right and sometimes that changes as I get somewhere else in my play. The more I gain some ability to play the more I feel I can try ideas I haven’t tried before and that’s what I use the list for, take what works, trash what doesn’t no matter if unrelated systems or not. I’m never going to need to make any $ from playing so I can run down a few alleys. But I already opened the “it’s all about me, wouldn’t you like to hear about it” door and threw it in the trash. Well that’s 2 holiday tirades.
I think you and I are on the same page. Funny my favorite cat is named Lionel and he is always licking himself as well.
Rod
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quotes

my favorite cat is named Lionel and he is always licking himself as well.

lol... Even in The Lounge "where almost anything goes", the posts reflect the TH members. Forums can get a reputation across the web based on a few individuals... trying to illustrate where another might be falling flat of presenting the forum in a positive light is probably up to peer pressure as much as anything.

As long as it doesn't turn into an on-line brawl, I think questioning others posts is healthy and helpful.

Practice with Purpose
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnsd wrote:
quotes

my favorite cat is named Lionel and he is always licking himself as well.

lol... Even in The Lounge "where almost anything goes", the posts reflect the TH members. Forums can get a reputation across the web based on a few individuals... trying to illustrate where another might be falling flat of presenting the forum in a positive light is probably up to peer pressure as much as anything.

As long as it doesn't turn into an on-line brawl, I think questioning others posts is healthy and helpful.

Practice with Purpose

I agree with both you and Rod. I do believe that sometimes attention seekers thrive on any attention they get, whether it’s negative or positive.

But you know, the “Capt. Kirks” come and go here, I’m going to make an effort to do as Rod said, take from TH what seems valid, leave what doesn’t.

Brad
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Lionel

Rod

Really don't agree with your criticism. The original post referenced a favorite quote. Not exactly a ground-breaking topic.

Plus, it's the lounge, for goodness sake!

Jeff
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Lionel

Rod

Really don't agree with your criticism. The original post referenced a favorite quote. Not exactly a ground-breaking topic.

Jeff

Sorry👹
Rod
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Lionel

Rod

Jeff

Since I started the thread: I really don’t care that Lionel took the opportunity to talk (again) about himself, but clearly that’s what he did. Certainly not the first time, but that’s what happened. Yeah, this is the Lounge, no big deal (he**, this is just an online forum), but I think Rod was correct.

Brad
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote the advise an old soprano cornet player gave me 70 years ago.

"Hold her lightly and kiss her gently".

Regards, Stuart.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I try to remember here on TH that I always have the option of simply finding something else more productive to do, no one is compelling me to either read or comment on this stuff. That being said, more than a few of us are “regulars” here, and commenting on what seems to be egocentric behavior probably isn’t inappropriate.Brad

My observation is that the "regulars" here typically fall into static ways of thinking. And when someone like Lionel comes along, and offers opinions outside many people's comfort zones, there is much emotional distress. Personally, I haven't read all of his posts, but for the ones I've read, I agree with about 80% of what he writes (but certainly haven't read everything).

Further , what some here interpret as "egotistical," to me looks more like confidence. The fact that he speaks from his own considerable life experience, is a plus, not a minus. I feel like if I met him in person, we would have a great conversation.

You posted a quote from Arturo. I really like Arturo. But some of what Lionel has said has been just as useful to me.

Last, I don't see Lionel taking shots at members here.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: