• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tell me about Fred Powell Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
There seems to be a thread through the posts here that Fred is able to build horns that match up well to the individual.

I don't mean to denigrate Fred or the Powel trumpets, but this begs the question of what this does to the potential buyers if one ever decides to sell their Powel instrument.

Does one need to find someone who desires the same characteristics in a trumpet as the seller? Or can they go back to Fred and have him tweak it for them?

Again, not meant as a negative. Many of us are always looking for a tweak here or there. Dick Akright once told me he felt Bach's inconsistencies actually helped him in sales since not everyone wanted the exact same instrument.

I thought most people who depended on a horn would try before they buy, and like the 2/3 vintage horns I'll probably keep foever they were bought because I played them well and they fit my play. I would think that a used Powell or my 1952 King super 20 would be considered the same way - based on how they played for you. I have seen many people waste money buying excellent horns that they had never played only to find they had wrong specs for them personally. Very fine horns that worked great for a different player. I have had marvelous luck finding vintage horns and have obtained some truly good horns but I play every horn I see for sale and I'm not hung up on names or who plays them, it's how I play them compared to the other stuff. I guess my point is that playing as many powells or visiting his shop (as I did with Lawler) will save a lot of headaches and maybe poorly spent bux. The good custom builders want you to sound good on their gear and will probably know stuff: tweeks that change characteristics more than you could imagine.
Good luck hope to hear more if you pull trigger
Rod
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
I thought most people who depended on a horn would try before they buy, and like the 2/3 vintage horns I'll probably keep foever they were bought because I played them well and they fit my play. I would think that a used Powell or my 1952 King super 20 would be considered the same way - based on how they played for you. I have seen many people waste money buying excellent horns that they had never played only to find they had wrong specs for them personally. Very fine horns that worked great for a different player. I have had marvelous luck finding vintage horns and have obtained some truly good horns but I play every horn I see for sale and I'm not hung up on names or who plays them, it's how I play them compared to the other stuff. I guess my point is that playing as many powells or visiting his shop (as I did with Lawler) will save a lot of headaches and maybe poorly spent bux. The good custom builders want you to sound good on their gear and will probably know stuff: tweeks that change characteristics more than you could imagine.
Rod[/quote]

When buying a horn from Powell Trumpets, you know exactly what you're going to get before you head out the door. Usually the customer and Fred choose the components that will make up the new trumpet through trial. Fred puts the horn together, and when the customer returns on another visit, the horn is put together. A few final adjustments are made to make sure it's 100% dialed in, then it goes home (or to plating and then home).

There are other ways of doing it too, of course, as some folks can't make it to the shop for one reason or another.

Fred also has four "stock" trumpet options on the b-flat side, and a few "stock" C models. Those are always available at trade shows, and are based on some of the most popular Powell Trumpets bell and pipe combinations used by many top pro players around the country.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:

I thought most people who depended on a horn would try before they buy, and like the 2/3 vintage horns I'll probably...
Rod[/quote]

When buying a horn from Powell Trumpets, you know exactly what you're going to get before you head out the door. Usually the customer and Fred choose the components that will make up the new trumpet through trial. Fred puts the horn together, and when the customer returns on another visit, the horn is put together. A few final adjustments are made to make sure it's 100% dialed in, then it goes home (or to plating and then home).

There are other ways of doing it too, of course, as some folks can't make it to the shop for one reason or another.

Fred also has four "stock" trumpet options on the b-flat side, and a few "stock" C models. Those are always available at trade shows, and are based on some of the most popular Powell Trumpets bell and pipe combinations used by many top pro players around the country.[/quote]

Sounds like the way Lawler did it and it works for me. I was addressing the guy who was speaking of a resale, not having one made. I would imagine any highly regarded maker would revise his horns to suit needs - but at a cost. I was just advising try b4 you buy in used horns.
Rod
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ... a YouTube of Fred's Shop would be awesome ! I am very interested as I am planning on treating myself later this year with another Bb. Fred's website has been "under construction" for quite sometime now. I don't even know his shops address ? Also, any price range available ... ?
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends who have been to the shop, and a great friend who plays Powell Trumpets a lot, and he sounds great on it. The process of making a horn with Fred involves the exact thing that Matthew Anklan describes, so getting a horn you know will be great for you is not an issue. The visits are key, as with any custom maker, to achieve the results you want with the instrument.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, tell me about them. What are they like? Are they a "jazz only" type of horn, or are they "all around horns".

Based on the selection of Bb and C trumpets Fred Powell brought with him to ITG, I'd say that he can build a horn that meets just about anyone's needs: single purpose or all around. He makes some very nice trumpets.
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend setting up a time to go to the shop and try out the different configurations. Its a very simple process. I also talked with Fred about my playing and gigs I play, what horns I played in the past (things I liked/disliked of each) He works so well with players because he is a great trumpet player, and he takes the time to build horns right.
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
GarrettFaccone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to re-up this thread and say how much I enjoy playing my two custom Powell Bb's! I have a #3 bell in standard weight yellow brass with a B5 leadpipe for all-around/legit work and a #2 bell in standard weight yellow brass with a M5 leadpipe for my commercial work. After years of searching for horns to give me the sound I want as well as the response I was looking for, I have finally found it with Fred Powell! Please do yourself a favor and take the trip out to Powell Trumpets and have Fred set you up. You (and your colleagues) will love the results!
Blast! The Show - 2014 Japan Tour - Trumpet/ Piccolo Trumpet/ Percussion.
gcarpten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Garrett here too. These are really fantastic instruments, I own both a Powell C and Bb and they outplay anything I've come across. The response and sound quality is second to none. If one is really serious about checking these horns out, a visit to his shop is a must. Fred will go out of his way to make sure you have EXACTLY what you want.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was just in his shop last week, I thought I'd comment. I also have known Fred for many years (and we've eaten a lot of BBQ together) and still have a Vintage 1.

I was up in Indiana and took the opportunity to visit his shop. When I tried some horns one thing that was most evident across all the instruments I played was that the connection between the notes was more effortless that I was used to. Very easy to play. Going back to my regular horn felt awful (said they get that alot....)

With me was my wife with 43 years of training in listening to horns/mouthpieces, etc. One of the Bb trumpets really grabbed her attention (as it did mine) because I immediately got the sound in my head from that horn with little effort. What more can one ask from a trumpet?

Even with all the different bells, leadpipes, and other options he said typically with someone trying his horns he can usually narrow it down to the best one for the player in about 35 minutes. Yes, he really does know his stuff and understands what players are looking for and what it takes for them to get the horn that fits them.

In recent years I find I practice most on Bb and perform only on C (except picc stuff of course). The reason is I LIKE my C better -- the sound and the way it plays. Fred's Bb could probably alter that.

I went there mostly to visit Fred, but came away trying to figure what to sell to get a couple of these....
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
There seems to be a thread through the posts here that Fred is able to build horns that match up well to the individual.

I don't mean to denigrate Fred or the Powel trumpets, but this begs the question of what this does to the potential buyers if one ever decides to sell their Powel instrument.

Does one need to find someone who desires the same characteristics in a trumpet as the seller? Or can they go back to Fred and have him tweak it for them?

Again, not meant as a negative. Many of us are always looking for a tweak here or there. Dick Akright once told me he felt Bach's inconsistencies actually helped him in sales since not everyone wanted the exact same instrument.

The horns do fit the individual, but such is the case with anyone purchasing horns. If you went to Dillons and there was someone very knowledgeable about trumpet models, etc. one person might be set up with a Schilke B1, another "fit" with a Bach 43 lightweight, etc. Some definitely won't like the B1 and some won't like the Bach.

Or cars.... I find a car that is a perfect "fit" for me is still something I can sell. In both cases the trumpet or the car is NOT a good fit for everyone. I was at the Corvette museum last week and that is not a car I can easily bend and squeeze myself into. But I suspect it wouldn't be much problem selling for the person who did fit it.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

The horns do fit the individual, but such is the case with anyone purchasing horns. If you went to Dillons and there was someone very knowledgeable about trumpet models, etc. one person might be set up with a Schilke B1, another "fit" with a Bach 43 lightweight, etc. Some definitely won't like the B1 and some won't like the Bach.

Or cars.... I find a car that is a perfect "fit" for me is still something I can sell. In both cases the trumpet or the car is NOT a good fit for everyone. I was at the Corvette museum last week and that is not a car I can easily bend and squeeze myself into. But I suspect it wouldn't be much problem selling for the person who did fit it.

Neither example has any bearing on my question. Going into a store and purchasing something that is the best off the shelf instrument is very different from visiting a master builder and having a horn custom fit. That is the reason I asked the question.

The car example might work better if one imagines a 70's pimpmobile with velour upholstery and shag carpets. Sure you might find a person or two who might be interested, but 99.9% of the people in the market for cars would not give you the time of day.

Again, my question is only about resale, I don't mean to imply anything negative about Fred's instruments.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
DH wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Neither example has any bearing on my question. Going into a store and purchasing something that is the best off the shelf instrument is very different from visiting a master builder and having a horn custom fit. That is the reason I asked the question.

The car example might work better if one imagines a 70's pimpmobile with velour upholstery and shag carpets. Sure you might find a person or two who might be interested, but 99.9% of the people in the market for cars would not give you the time of day.

Again, my question is only about resale, I don't mean to imply anything negative about Fred's instruments.

This is a good question. I feel it is worth noting that not every Powell trumpet is a custom horn. Fred does offer several "base models." They encompass the full spectrum of what players could need in various professional settings. Each one plays exceptionally well, and is balanced and adjusted to itself.

If a person chooses to sell a custom horn, and the potential buyer recognizes that it is a great horn, but not 100% right for them, then Fred by appointment is happy to work with the new owner to get the horn adjusted and dialed in. Perhaps it means a new leadpipe or a new bell? I know people who both had custom Powells, and after a few years actually traded with each other. People's needs shift overtime, whether it be because of a change in gig, a change due to age, etc. The primary objective at Powell trumpets is to create instruments that do not limit the performer. You rarely see used Powell trumpets for sale...I believe that is by design!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

This is a good question. I feel it is worth noting that not every Powell trumpet is a custom horn. Fred does offer several "base models." They encompass the full spectrum of what players could need in various professional settings. Each one plays exceptionally well, and is balanced and adjusted to itself.

If a person chooses to sell a custom horn, and the potential buyer recognizes that it is a great horn, but not 100% right for them, then Fred by appointment is happy to work with the new owner to get the horn adjusted and dialed in. Perhaps it means a new leadpipe or a new bell? I know people who both had custom Powells, and after a few years actually traded with each other. People's needs shift overtime, whether it be because of a change in gig, a change due to age, etc. The primary objective at Powell trumpets is to create instruments that do not limit the performer. You rarely see used Powell trumpets for sale...I believe that is by design!

Thanks for the answer.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I guess I wasn't seeing the extremes..... There might be MORE difference between stock off the shelf horns than in the range of Fred's horns. To use the example of the velour upholstery and shag carpets that's a far extreme for a car and I don't think any trumpet made by anyone is made to that far extreme.

I don't see it as personal fit like a denture which wouldn't be much use to anyone else. More like a suit that comes in different sizes (all the same material and same color) -- yes one made for a 6'2" person won't fit me but would still sell fine to another 6'2" person. If it's red with purple stripes (to use an extreme) then yes, it might be very difficult to find a buyer.

I don't think any trumpets are made to an extreme that there wouldn't be others for whom the trumpet would be great.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Powell flugelhorn Reply with quote

For those that own or have played a Powell flugelhorn, can you describe any comparisons to other brands you've played?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: tell me about fred powell trumpets Reply with quote

As far as mentioning that Fred will build according to the desires of the one purchasing the horn, all the better. When and if the time comes to sell that horn what is the big deal if it is tweeked one way or another. Perhaps a majority of Bachs, Xeno, and other horns purchased online or in the Marketplace here have been tweeked by someone or the owner themselves. It is the way of life for people playing the trumpet. In many cases one can have a horn altered again, eh.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what the current price range might be for a Powell Custom?
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
Any idea what the current price range might be for a Powell Custom?

Not sure of the exact price, but full custom is currently under $4K before plating, if wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: