• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

picc mouthpiece options...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: picc mouthpiece options... Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone has compared cornet mouthpiece options for picc. Specifically a Bach 7e or 7ew to a Curry 7p.

I'm considering trying to get into that rim size for picc only and interested in any first hand observations about how the above pieces might compare to each other before I go on another safari.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't a huge fan of the Curry P, though I'm fully aware others would disagree on that.

If we're talking in that particular ballpark, I'd say that the Schilke 11AX sits very much at the size you're looking at and I personally prefer it to the 7E.
Paladin53

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all full disclosure.
I'm not a piccolo trumpet player. I happen to have one and occasionally pull it out of the case. Amateur comeback player at best. So take it for what it is worth.
I currently play a Curry 3C on Bb. I have a Curry 3P and a Vincent Bach 3E.
That is not exactly what you are looking for. I don't know if the difference in size from a 3 to a 7 would correlate or not.
I like the Bach 3E much better. I think I get a bigger fuller sound especially above what would be a high C on the full size Bb.

Floyd
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im roughly familiar with the three pieces. Although cant remember the rim contour on the Curry piece.

If I did lots piccolo (which I dont) would choose a rounded rim contour but not wide. As the extra width of the Bach 7W while possibly helping endurance would reduce flexibility.

In fact this rim discussion just reminded me of how I really dislike Bach rims. As they tend to run flat and overly wide. Even the regular rims are too wide. Let alone how inflexible the "EW"extra wide rims are. When you're playing exposed, technically advanced upper register phrases you need flexibility to get around on the instrument. For me the best design has always been the Al Cass rim. And I'm not alone in this opinion. As back in the day Al's customers were a veritable Who's Who of lead, high note trumpet pros.

And lead playing at an advanced level tends to parallel piccolo trp playing. The only difference is volume and style.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry P for me!... first of all the rim shape fits me, so I'm consistent and comfortable on the mouthpiece, then it's the blow. I could never get a good feel with backbore combos with Bach, Yamaha, etc.. something about Curry's design made a big difference for me.

Curry has less "bite" to the rim and a bit deeper cup than a Bach E (and a better shape IMO), so a little more tone. Range and color without backing up on me.

As a teacher, I continue to demo other mouthpieces to be able to have some input for my students on various products. For me nothing has matched the Curry for consistency (day to day), sound, endurance, comfort - all equalling playability.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Curry 7P and 5P much more than the Bach 7EW I tried, and go back and forth between it and the Schilke 14B4x I started playing. Most of the time the Curry is in my picc as I seem to have a bit more control with it. The Bach 7EW seemed a little too shallow for me, ditto a Schilke 14A4x.

I am far from a professional picc player, however.

FWIWFM - Don
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Piccolo mouhpiece Reply with quote

Love my Bob Reeves Piccolo, cornet shank model. Check out his Website.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Piccolo mouhpiece Reply with quote

Steve Hollahan wrote:

+1

I've used a Reeves 43C piccolo trumpet mouthpiece with cornet shank for many years now. I've tried others, but nothing comes close.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Curry P for me!... first of all the rim shape fits me,

I'm curious what rim size you use? I love the Curry 3 rim, but I was under the impression that his rim profiles are not the same generally across the various sizes?

I'm currently using a 3P on picc, want to try something smaller.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Piccolo mouhpiece Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Steve Hollahan wrote:

+1

I've used a Reeves 43C piccolo trumpet mouthpiece with cornet shank for many years now. I've tried others, but nothing comes close.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

If I remember correctly, that's about the size you normally play on? So you're in the "play the same size rim on picc" camp then?
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
If we're talking in that particular ballpark, I'd say that the Schilke 11AX sits very much at the size you're looking at and I personally prefer it to the 7E.

I played a Bach 7dw and 7ew for a while, also a Marcinkiewicz 7pd, I think it was. Then I tried a Schilke 11ax and it was, for me, much, much better.

I am a Bach, Curry 3c player. I just don't like a 3-size on picc for the most part though I occasionally use a Warburton 4M or a Reeves 42D.

I have not tried a Curry picc mouthpiece and I am less of a pro picc player than Don.

I have found that Curry pieces tend to follow the matching Bach rim profile; for example, his 5C is like a Bach 5c rim. Not exactly, but you can tell where that rim descended from. That's unlike Warburton whose rim is supposedly the same across sizes.

-- Joe
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started using a picket 6DE with the Kanstul/Bach 24 cornet backbore. Seems to work quite well on my Schilke P7-4.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
zaferis wrote:

I'm curious what rim size you use? I love the Curry 3 rim, but I was under the impression that his rim profiles are not the same generally across the various sizes?

On the contrary, within size I find his rims to be extremely similar in profile. Different from size to size - 3's different from 5's, 7's etc. As a matter of fact, I have to pay attention to which piece I pick up - I can't tell them apart by feel. Not to long ago I played a gig using my 3c on picc (normal I use a 3P)... sounded fine but wondered why I was working so hard. (Actually, my only complaint with these mouthpieces is that the writing is so small that I have to put on my reading glasses to see the numbers/letters)

I have not tried Curry's other rim sizes, but what I've heard/seen is that 5's are probably the least liked.. 3's and 7's seem to be most popular in my experience.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
(Actually, my only complaint with these [Curry] mouthpieces is that the writing is so small that I have to put on my reading glasses to see the numbers/letters)

I couldn't agree more. I brought it up to him in an email a few years ago, and I think I remember him saying something about the setup he used making it difficult to change, or not wanting to buy a larger tool set for that? Not sure on the details, but it likely won't ever change.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
zaferis wrote:

On the contrary, within size I find his rims to be extremely similar in profile. Different from size to size - 3's different from 5's, 7's etc. As a matter of fact, I have to pay attention to which piece I pick up - I can't tell them apart by feel. Not to long ago I played a gig using my 3c on picc (normal I use a 3P)... sounded fine but wondered why I was working so hard. (Actually, my only complaint with these mouthpieces is that the writing is so small that I have to put on my reading glasses to see the numbers/letters)

I have not tried Curry's other rim sizes, but what I've heard/seen is that 5's are probably the least liked.. 3's and 7's seem to be most popular in my experience.

Here's a thread where Mark describes the rim shape difference between his 3C. and 5. It's clear he doesn't consider them otherwise identical.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122394&highlight=curry
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried 7EW, 7E, and Schilke 11Ax and found them to be not as nice as the 7P. When I went to a Yamaha and had to get trumpet shank, I tried a trumpet 7EW and curry 7DE (trumpet shank equivalent of P). I liked the Curry better. It felt as if there was room for my face after playing through some Bach stuff.

I now use a Yamaha 11A5 which is great for me. But sadly, I do not believe they make it in cornet shank.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-3/4 CW NY Bach Trumpet Shank
Bach 7E Cornet shank
Mason3724

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got the Pickett Brass Jens Piccolo piece, and I absolutely love it.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I can't compare a 7E to a 7P as I haven't played the latter, but I can at least give my experience.

I recently switched from a Schilke 11AX. Part of the reason is the Schilke feels narrow (high point of the rim is closer to the bite), but the main reason I switched is because the shank didn't fit right. Schilke cornet mouthpieces never seemed to work well for me and a local tech clarified it for me: they use a different taper on the shank that matches their receivers better, but not other brands.

Now I use a Bach 7E. It works well enough and played correctly can either be nice and brilliant or sound fairly mellow (as far as piccolos go). The backbore number is not stamped on the shank, but since 117 is supposed to be the standard on a 7E, I assume that's what it is. It would be great to start on and is a good reference point as far as picc mpcs go.

Another mouthpiece I previously used on picc was a Bach 7D. I don't know what the backbore was (not stamped). It had a rich, lyrical sound. You may look into that one as well.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use w Wedge 10.5C for nearly all of my picc playing. The exceptions being extremely high parts. I was practicing BB2 recently and used a Wedge 10.5E for a little more facility at the top.
I'm not real sensitive to diameter changes so I can play comfortably on just about any size piece. I pick the piece for whatever sound I'm going for. But, 98% of the time it's a Wedge 5 or Wedge 10.5 rim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: