• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MF Protocol

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynn9544

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: MF Protocol Reply with quote

Coming out of meditation Tuesday, I was moved with clarity, as I realized that my retaliatory defense of Maynard's Protocol was not very Maynard-like. To those who I offended or otherwise made uncomfortable, I apologize.... I am passionate about trumpet and the Protocol, but passion does not excuse a judgmental, egoic response. Maynard showed me this in 1974, but occasionally I forget that a major part of the Protocol has nothing to do with trumpet, and everything to do with an absent ego.....

I wish you all Peace and Happiness as you continue to unravel the mysteries of the noblest of all instruments......
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn you are a class act!!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not followed the discussion that led Lynn to write this thread, but if in fact he believes an apology is necessary I agree with Ron, very classy!

Brad
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lynn,

Totally unnecessary move, but extremely classy.

Being passionate and hungry are good things. As are being competitive and sure of one's self.

I don't think anything was said (that I saw) anybody say was way out of line, nor unforgivable. And I think everybody's over it.

I took no offense, and enjoy a little friendly ribbing when debating things. It shows we're alive, human, and not a bunch of weak robots!!

All the best to you and your endeavors Lynn!!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice words. Kudos to you from a fellow meditator. Nicely done.

(And remember, forgiveness, compassion, call it what you will. Often such an action is as much beneficial to the giver as to the given.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why the Lynn thread was deleted. I've seen much more incendiary threads on the TH than that that were never deleted. most of us were sharing helpful experiences with the protocol.. and sure, there was some arguing going back and forth at times...but with some very good humor! Plus people like Dan Burnham put up a post with videos demonstrating his progress with the protocol. I felt I gave some good insight into my experiences with rim buzzing and the protocol and was ready to expound more upon my various experiences as I do this. And a lot of us were sharing our different experiences implementing the protocol overall.

I'm never really one to make threats or anything like that. But, in this case, I will just say I better see that Lynn Nicholson thread back on this forum - if you want to delicately 'clean' it a tad, ok..but we're going to have to have that thread back - or else. And don't say 'or else what?' Just trust it will be beyond all TH'rs worst nightmares! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex, I bet the thread wasn't deleted by the moderators at all.

My guess?? Russian interference. They don't want anymore powerful lead trumpeters coming out of the US, dominating the Global Trumpeting majority.

This has Russian hackers fingerprints and collusion all over it. Damn Putin!!!
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible Benge - I have it on good report that the Ruskies do monitor the TH pretty closely. Cha!
Www.LexSamu.com
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Very possible Benge - I have it on good report that the Ruskies do monitor the TH pretty closely. Cha!

They already have a new star trumpeter ready to take over the whole scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_8HULung3rg
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS that the Russian national anthem? I think some vodka went into that!

One thing I was going to say in the real Lynn thread about rim buzzing. Try doing it standing up. It's really very physical..kind of takes your whole body..your abs and core muscles are all really working with this rim buzzing..it's quite taxing on the physical body I find. I mean the whole world becomes your trumpet which is an XXXXXXXXXXXXXL bore;-)
Www.LexSamu.com
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
IS that the Russian national anthem? I think some vodka went into that!

One thing I was going to say in the real Lynn thread about rim buzzing. Try doing it standing up. It's really very physical..kind of takes your whole body..your abs and core muscles are all really working with this rim buzzing..it's quite taxing on the physical body I find. I mean the whole world becomes your trumpet which is an XXXXXXXXXXXXXL bore;-)

Hey Lex,
should i do the rim buzzing on the same size rim as my main piece?

just wondering,

tom
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS your rim considerably bigger or smaller than the reversible Xpiece? I use the reversible Xpiece as Lynn recommends. It has two sides and one side is supposed to be harder to buzz that the other..but, persnally, I can't really tell.. I just flip it around and do it on both sides when I do it.
Www.LexSamu.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the omission of such an entire thread just discourages posters from sharing their opinions and learning with the rest of us. I mean, why put out that much time and energy sharing a post or posts if they're just going to be deleted? Seems awfully self-defeating to me. Contributions could be reduced.

Cleaning up and editing-yes. But total elimination? I'd think twice about doing this. (And this is not to ignore how time exhausting to the moderator(s) this can be They deserve all credit they're due.)

But threats do not help either. In the process of carrying out cyber threats, that will penalize us all, not just the moderators. Neither do such threats reflect well on the person making such threats, either. I'd think twice on this as well.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Kill the political comments. The tide is rising again and rather than time-consuming editing it is easier to delete the thread.

2. The previous thread turned into a flamefest that would take a long time to clean up. At the moment nobody has time for that. Add to that that a number of complaints received, thread gone. Return, maybe, but doubtful at this point. Other threads may not have generated as many complaints, or maybe weren't caught, or the Mods were more tolerant that day. A lot of this is grey area and fair is where you'll find clowns and a ferris wheel.

3. Sending a note to the Moderators and NOT POSTING IN THE THREAD (did everybody catch that?) is more likely to lead to a positive outcome. By the time there are twenty or thirty posts of pissing contest around the useful posts it's just not worth cleaning up any more.

HTH - Don
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that guys can't just discuss trumpet stuff, even disagree, and EVEN SHOW SOME HUMOR, with out folks getting so easily offended.

The oversensitive mentality, and need for interference from some authority figure to come and make things right and save the day is unreal. It's not just here obviously, but almost every facet of life.

Sticks and stones break bones....not dissenting opinions on an Internet forum.

I think healthy debate is ok. As is disagreement and even a joke or two for some levity. Some of the posters here need to lighten up, and have a more common sense perspective of the degree of offense taken over opinions and words on an Internet forum.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Posted: 12 Apr 2017 14:49    Post subject:
It's a shame that guys can't just discuss trumpet stuff, even disagree, and EVEN SHOW SOME HUMOR, with out folks getting so easily offended.

The oversensitive mentality, and need for interference from some authority figure to come and make things right and save the day is unreal. It's not just here obviously, but almost every facet of life.

Sticks and stones break bones....not dissenting opinions on an Internet forum.

I think healthy debate is ok. As is disagreement and even a joke or two for some levity. Some of the posters here need to lighten up, and have a more common sense perspective of the degree of offense taken over opinions and words on an Internet forum.

A Big +1 Bengenut. I've been following your posts, you write some good stuff! Best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lynn - any good MF road stories? I was gigging with a sax player awhile back this summer who worked on MF's band..Him and his buddy were running around the halls late at night..probably throwing it down.. Maynard came out of his room and called them over.. He told them to get down and he put his hands on their head and gave them like an indian blessing and prayed over them. My friend said he could feel all this good tingly energy go through his body. All the cats I know who worked with Maynard always talk about what a wonderful + cat he was with a big heart.

I do some jazz work with Harry Miller around NYC from time to time..not sure if you were on the band when he was.. he might of come later in the 80's. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have gained from Lynn's thoughts on playing. Using Lynn's Rim tool; Personal Mouthpiece and the Nicholson Monette Prana mouthpiece that Lynn gifted me a while back has benefitted my playing tremendously. As has deligently observing his various youtube vidoes and watching him play while studying his nuiances etc. ... just like I have studied many players over the years as a self taught player myself. My main books over the years have been Clarke Technical Studies, Schlossberg, Charles Colin Lip Flexibilities and Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach).

At Lynn's suggestion, I am now playing small V Cup mouthpieces for range (all variations of MF's 50's Calicchio "Holy Grail" mouthpiece) and they fit my chops well! I utilize and prefer the Claude Gordon Personal by Marcinkiewicz with a #20 throat for all of my legit studies.

I have solidified a double C whereas my top range was just a double A a while back. As an amateur who plays (and loves to practice legit studies) at home, I now practice out of Bill Adams book (Sclossberg/Clarke with many variations) and then hit some of the Scott Belck's Modern Flexibilities For Brass book. After an hour to two hours of straight legit practice (while ALWAYS watching television and sipping coffee) I then play Matthew Anklan's Range Extension Exercise that Matt gave me.

Full disclosure - This was recorded on Monday morning in my bedroom and I had not practiced since Thursday. I am watching a Christian video (so if you are offended by that ... I apologize in advance) I have the volumn turned up so that I can hear the TV while playing my legit studies.

This range extension study takes 25 minutes and goes from a High F# to a Double B ... didn't feel up to the Double C on this occasion. I also play on Lynn's Personal piece; the Patrick MF 1; the Pickett/Ingram Holy Grail piece; and the Greg Black Vintage MF 1.

Matt's Range Exercise - https://media.wix.com/ugd/3898e0_0b41385d32f2405684abb14be34d3b55.pdf
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Russell,

Thanks for posting and sharing your successes!! Sounds like you've made some great improvements and I'm happy for you.

You've got a pretty good hang on your double C, and if those apimprovements have anything to do with Lynn and his teachings, obviously he deserves some kudos as well.

You did well with the vid, and no probs with Christian programming on my end. Maybe next time put a shirt on so the ladies don't go too wild!!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut ... I KNEW someone would nail me on being shirtless! Sorry, just woke up and started practicing after getting my coffee. I apologize.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: