• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best method books for the comeback player: beyond clarke...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetReverb

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Best method books for the comeback player: beyond clarke... Reply with quote

What do you all recommend?
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schlossberg --- warm up drills, building endurance range.

I also have enjoyed the Hering progressive etude books for actually "playing tunes" and working on musicality, phrasing, etc.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban's
Schlossberg
Jacome
Collins Flexibilities
Matt Grave's Fundamental Flexibilities
Rich Wiley's various studies and jazz books
Caruso
Gordon
Stamp
Jeff Smiley's Balanced Embouchure
etc.

Frankly I would find a teacher to help guide a programmed study methodology.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find Lowell Little's The Embouchure Builder or Col. Earl Iron's book Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises helpful for flexibilities.

I don't think you need both the Arban and the St. Jacome. I think one is enough. Same for Caruso, Gordon, Stamp, and the Balanced Embouchure. Learning what you can is certainly something you might want to do, but for your immediate purpose, one to work from "IMO" is enough.

(Merri Franquin's book is newly available from qpress is also a fresh alternative. You can ignore the various trumpets and transposition text for the time being.)

Or . . . you might rather like an organized system like the Papa Mitchell series, the Rubank series or David Hickman's self-contained method entitled 100 Progressive Lessons primarily for beginners or comeback players.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu May 04, 2017 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Knevitt Crash Course does the job for me. Pecking around at various others (flexibility studies, long tone specific books etc) didn't work for me as I hadn't the awareness, when first coming back, what were my weaknesses. Knevitt CC gives me structured weekly lessons based around Gordon's teachings. Includes an Arban and a Hering etude each week. I spend at least a couple of weeks on each lesson. From this structure I'm able to spot my weak areas and through research here at TH able to find other exercises / methods to target those and I slot them into my practise routine. I live rural so don't have access to any good teachers. You may be lucky and have that option. Knevitt CC is available at qPress now I think.
robbrand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend Arban as a start for your comeback, unless you have a good teacher who knows how to use it. You need something that covers the fundamentals without being too basic, if you know what I mean. Allen Vizzuti's Trumpet Method Book 1 would be a good start: it covers all the fundamentals, from fairly easy to highly demanding: long tones, lip slurs, tonguing, fingering, etc. Arban may be useful once you have your chops and basic technique back.
Besson USA 620 cornet
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player by David Hickman

Merri Franquin Complete Method (English translation by qpress.ca). Read the guidance at the front to get the full benefit.
Piccolo Stomvi
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why not Clarke?

There's no shortcut to building chops and technical facility, so the best method for doing that is to stick with the tried and true basics -

Clarke
Arban's
Schlossberg
Irons
Saint Jacomb
Claude Gordon
etc.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, thanks for the plug.

My book is presently out of print.

Anyone that is interested in it, please email me.

I am, however, working on having it available as an iBooks Download.

Regarding the OP, I assume the "Clarke's" you are referring to is Herbert L. Clarke's "Technical Studies". Technical Studies is NOT a bad choice for a Comeback Player IF said player can use a Metronome and start very slowly and not too much at a time.

However, Herbert L. Clarke also wrote his "Elementary Studies" book which, in my opinion, is a great source of practice material for the Comeback Player.

I also second the suggestion of Lowell Little's "Embouchure Builder" along with my book, Fundamental Flexibility Studies.

I also second the suggestion of the Sigmund Hering Series of Etude books.

In addition, I also suggest Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach" and "Daily Routines" books. Gordon's "Systematic Approach" can also be used, but with the guidance of a good teacher.
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Clarke? Clarke Elementary would be great!

Take the baby books and use them. To be had cheap on eBay!

The first couple of pages of Arban are elementary exercises as well.

If my experience is any guide, you will be well served by playing these exercises not too fast and with the best tone you can muster.

And loads and loads of lip slurs!!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry about that Matt, but it's well worth having!

Eric Bolvin (I think) has an Arban's guide book that is great as well.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Hickman publishes a spiral-bound book that combines all the Clarke volumes into one. Very handy, with all the original text, not the watered down edited versions you find elsewhere.

Starts out very simple in the elementary studies part, and gets progressively more difficult.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
David Hickman publishes a spiral-bound book that combines all the Clarke volumes into one. Very handy, with all the original text, not the watered down edited versions you find elsewhere.

Starts out very simple in the elementary studies part, and gets progressively more difficult.

Good reminder, Randy. Dave also has a comebacker exercise book!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: best method books for the comeback player: beyond Clarke... Reply with quote

Hi there
The Allen Vizzutti Method books are really good for this and fun!
The content is excellent and you could pick a little from each section and build it up,
Whilst covering many different aspects on a daily basis.
Also, Allen says great things in the books, which is very encouraging.
Also, you could make up your own things and also look into what other folks have mentioned.
Have fun! Enjoy!
Happy practicing.
Best wishes.
ammonshea

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a comeback player, but have started trumpet late in life (45), and dealing with some similar issues. I've found Clarke to be quite helpful, if humbling, to work with.
When first approaching the etudes I was told by my teacher to play them extremely slow (♩= 15, so each sixteenth note is a full second long), rather than trying to speed through them, focusing on making each note resonant and centered. This is initially not so enjoyable, but definitely had a positive effect.
mhendricks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at The Comeback Trumpet Player at....

http://www.mphmusic.com/trumpet

A complete system for the comeback Trumpet player.

Mark

For info on all of Mark's books and more visit: www.MPHmusic.com
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four-volume series “Mitchell on Trumpet” by Harold “Pappy” Mitchell is the most comprehensive method I have come across. I highly recommend it. It is broken down into 82 lessons. They start out very easy – suitable for a true beginner – and progress at a steady pace to a very advanced level. The lessons cover scales and chords, intervals, flexibility, range and endurance building, tonguing, attacks, etc.

You could build a really solid foundation in a few years of diligent study with those books, plus some etude books and Clarke’s “Technical Studies.” And if you are working with a teacher and playing in an ensemble (community band, church group, etc.) you’ll make ever better progress.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the "Mitchell on Trumpet," here are some other options to consider at the beginning/intermediate stages of a comeback:

Claude Gordon’s “Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing”

Carmine Caruso’s “Musical Calisthenics for Brass” – just the first study in this book (“The Six Notes”), played properly, can be a huge help

Matt Graves’ “Fundamental Flexibility Studies” or James Ackley’s “Systematic Approach to Flexibility” or Earl Irons’ “27 Groups of Exercises”

Arban’s “Complete Conservatory Method” along with Eric Bolvin’s “The Arban Manual”

Bugs Bower’s “Rhythms Complete”

Concone (sources include “The Complete Solfeggi” and “Lyrical Studies for Trumpet”)

Sigmund Hering’s “50 Recreational Studies,” “40 Progressive Etudes,” “38 Recreational Studies,” “32 Etudes” and “30 Etudes” (in a roughly progressive order) or/and Robert Getchell’s “First Book of Practical Studies” and “Second Book of Practical Studies”
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some more advanced options to consider.

Claude Gordon’s “Systematic Approach to Daily Practice” (which has a list of books to use in companion with it)

Frink & McNeil’s “Flexus”

Charles Colin’s “Advanced Lip Flexibilities” or Scott Belck’s “Modern Flexibilities for Brass” or Bai Lin’s “Lip Flexibilities” or Walter Smith’s “Lip Flexibility”

Chris Kase’s “Twenty-First Century Technique: Modern Technical Studies,” or Tony Plog’s “Method for Trumpet” volumes 2 & 3 (“Fingering Exercises and Etudes” 1 & 2) or Allen Vizzutti’s “Trumpet Method” book 1 (“Technical Studies”)

St. Jacome’s “Grand Method”

Phil Snedecor’s “Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet” 1 & 2

Everett Gates’ “Odd Meter Etudes”

Sigmund Hering’s “28 Melodious and Technical Etudes,” “Etudes in all the Major and Minor Keys,” “24 Advanced Etudes,” and “23 Orchestral Etudes” (in a roughly progressive order); Vassily Brandt’s “34 Orchestral Etudes”; Charlier’s “36 Etudes Transcendantes”; Herbert Clarke’s “Characteristic Studies”; and Walter Smith’s “Top Tones”
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Vizzutti books. It's a great way to go particularly when you're going it alone. A lot of the other popular material really is best used under the guidance of a good teacher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: