• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Murphy Strikes Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Murphy Strikes Again Reply with quote

Finale of last concert set of season, the extras all come on stage (Ravel Bolero), oboe sounds A, I check pitch on my P5-4, move pipe in slightly (I'm in A) and tighten the screw. Head breaks off, now the pipe is free to slide in, no way to keep in place. The threaded end of the screw will not come out so trying to substitute a different screw from my C or my neighbor's won't work- double "screwed". Conductor walks in, lights dim, work begins. Well, after all these years and times playing, guess I'm doing this thing on Bb. Nice thing is, there's plenty of time to "rehearse" the fingerings before I play. It also is another reason I'm so glad I do a majority of my transpositions by using clefs, or fingerings for a certain clef or instrument. Basically, all I had to do was read the music as one would to play bass clef baritone, play in the key of D, remember those written Ab's are C natural, F#'s are A# and off we go.

This may be a good reason to find a dedicated A pipe for my P5-4, although I never could see the need prior to this. But it got me thinking- 2 weeks ago I drove all the way to N MN to perform Messiah with my summertime orchestra. If this had happened on The Trumpet Shall Sound I don't think I'd have fared so well- at least I'm glad I didn't have to find out. It certainly is difficult to plan for every occasion for which Murphy's Law decides to bring you into court, the last time I can remember a similar situation was about 40 years ago when about 60 seconds before the downbeat the 3rd valve slide fell out of my old C and hit the concrete floor, flattening a good portion of the open end of the lower leg. Wouldn't go back into the tubing. t was able to insert my mouthpiece into the leg and reshape it to round. Worked so well I didn't even take it to a tech to make it better. Think I'm getting too old to do this stuff... It'd be good material for a book, though. Jim Becker or some other brass guru could have fun compiling it.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2001, I played a concert in NYC with Bobby Sanabria's Afro Cuban Big Band featuring guest artist Steve Turre. One of the tunes we did was Groovin' High, which has a trumpet solo and Bobby wanted me to do a cadenza at the end, where I always played the Dizzy Gillespie cadenza that ends on the high F waiting for the band to hit their big final chord.

Well, after my trumpet solo, I was emptying my water key (I was playing my New York Bach large bore), and the spring broke. I asked everybody around me if anybody had a rubber band, but to no avail. Time was running out quickly, and the guy next to me handed me his Bach . . . medium bore.

Well, the first several notes came out okay, but then I realized I was in trouble as the resistance was all starting to back up on me, and when I went for the high F at the end, the hugest frack you could ever imagine came out of the horn. Frustrated, I said (a little too loudly, I'm afraid), "Yer mama!"

Everybody laughed, and Steve came in and did a fabulous cadenza and then we ended. Afterwards, I was able to talk to Bobby after he came back from mingling with the crowd, and I apologized profusely for sucking so blatantly. He said that the audience all thought that was a routine, setting Steve up for the big finish, so no apology necessary.

I suppose that was a good ending to a humiliating scenario. Nice of Bobby to "let me off the hook" that way.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should've used your horn, on rotors we call that a Vienna key
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bob Reeves makes an 'adapter' so you can use one pipe in your picc for both A and Bb sides, and all you have to do is add or remove the adapter instead of carrying both pipes. Of course, you likely still have to make some tuning adjustments with it anyway, which wouldn't completely prevent the need for moving the adjustment screw.

Your points about transposition are very well taken also.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P5-4 only uses one long leadpipe- both A and Bb depending on how far it's pulled. When I ordered the screw yesterday ($14 and shipping- so it's really a screw...), I saw on their site that Schilke now offers dedicated pipes for A and Bb, in both cornet and trumpet shanks (wonder how Ren would've liked that?), so for another $215, I believe, I could get an A pipe that would probably bottom out and not need the clamp screw except for fine tuning.

Think I'm going to toss a small pair of vice grips in the case pouch from now on- that would've fixed things.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P5-4 only uses one long leadpipe- both A and Bb depending on how far it's pulled. When I ordered the screw yesterday ($14 and shipping- so it's really a screw...), I saw on their site that Schilke now offers dedicated pipes for A and Bb, in both cornet and trumpet shanks (wonder how Ren would've liked that?), so for another $215, I believe, I could get an A pipe that would probably bottom out and not need the clamp screw except for fine tuning.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the downside of dedicated A pipes...

When I was in school I played second on the Bach b-minor Mass, with my teacher playing first. We got to the performance, he put his horn together... and his A leadpipe snapped in half, where the two diameters of tubing join. Catastrophic solder failure I guess? He didn't have his B flat pipe with him. I offered him my horn (I had a E flat trumpet with me) but instead he just stuck his mouthpiece in what was left of the leadpipe and sounded great.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
When I ordered the screw yesterday ($14 and shipping- so it's really a screw...),

Would've involuntarily spit coffee all over my keyboard had I not finished it before reading the above.

To your first post, what a horrible, horrible situation!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help wondering if you might be in the habit of over-tightening that leadpipe somehow? Mine looks like it will probably last another 500 years unless I go out of my way to damage it. Same idea applies to my flugel that also tunes at the mouthpiece end.

P.S. Yes, I realize I've probably challenged Mr. Murphy to a duel by bringing up this point.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Bob Reeves A adapter...

http://www.bobreeves.com/products/accessories/adapters.htm

HTH

Ben
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

Think I'm going to toss a small pair of vice grips in the case pouch from now on- that would've fixed things.

don't forget the blowtorch.......

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
There's also the Bob Reeves A adapter...

http://www.bobreeves.com/products/accessories/adapters.htm

HTH

Ben
Wow- $39 v $215 for a pipe? I'll look into it. Thanks, Ben! And Randy, I'd keep looking over my shoulder for that damn Irishman- there were no signs of any stress, stretching, hard tightening or anything to give me any indication of problems and I was amazed at how little pressure I put on tightening the clamp when it broke off. Guess it was too much for a 30+ year old part. And of all the things that could go wrong with a horn, that screw would've been my last concern.

I guess I have a bad attitude towards replacing things, though. I'm still driving an 05 Buick Park Ave that has 309K on it with original motor/trans on which I do most of the maintenance myself. In a couple days I'm heading 500 miles north in it for the summer. Guess I wait until things break before I fix them, although when I can see/feel it coming I usually get right at it. (I also take an adequate set of tools with me as well.)

One thing I did learn from all this, however- playing the part in Bb is actually easier than in A. Guess I've always just assumed it's easier for me, fingering-wise, to play D parts on A pic. Just have to shift gears a bit to make the transition from fingerings to note names, pretty simple.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

A real man would already be packing duct tape. That fixes anything. Frankly, I'm somewhat disappointed in you.

I did go about 100,000 miles with $1 WalMart vise grips holding my exhaust system together on my van so they are useful tools.

-- Joe
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Randy, I'd keep looking over my shoulder for that damn Irishman- there were no signs of any stress, stretching, hard tightening or anything to give me any indication of problems and I was amazed at how little pressure I put on tightening the clamp when it broke off. Guess it was too much for a 30+ year old part. And of all the things that could go wrong with a horn, that screw would've been my last concern.

Heh. He has a weird way of hearing things I say, and then punishing me for them later, so I fully expect the screw to break on my P7-4 at some point in the near future, even though it's only a few years old.

Craig Swartz wrote:
One thing I did learn from all this, however- playing the part in Bb is actually easier than in A. Guess I've always just assumed it's easier for me, fingering-wise, to play D parts on A pic. Just have to shift gears a bit to make the transition from fingerings to note names, pretty simple.

I sometimes play on the Bb side if it makes it easier, but I find the pitch tendencies to be more manageable on the A side, or maybe it's just that I play it and practice it more in A? Time to experiment some more.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
...he just stuck his mouthpiece in what was left of the leadpipe and sounded great.

Chuck Norris would have just put his lips on the jagged end of the broken leadpipe.

My favorite MacGuyver'd solution was the tuba player who showed up for a gig with no mouthpiece. Legend has it that he fashioned one out of an empty toilet paper roll and duct tape,...and that he sounded great on it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: