• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

buzzing exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: buzzing exercises Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just recently began working on some of the lip compression buzzing routine. In the book it says to buzz the 3 pitches and then to place the mouthpiece "upon the embouchure formation in the normal playing manner" and then play the same note you buzzed but on the horn. What exactly does that phrase mean? At this point I buzz differently from how I play. Am I to play the note with my usual playing formation? And is the goal to eventually migrate to a buzzing formation while playing, like in the walk-in exercise? What is your experience with working with the buzz 3 play 1 exercise? Will a gradual change take place over the course of time subconsciously where you ultimately change how you play? It is stated in the book that buzzing is used as a correctional procedure, not as a method of playing, but it seems like the goal is to play as close as possible to that way, with buzzing firmness. I haven't tried the walk in exercise too much yet, I'm simply trying to develop the free buzz using the buzz 3 play 1 exercise and the buzz 3 notes (each one higher than the last) exercise. How long of a session do you recommend I do these for? More than once a day?

Thanks in advance for the replies from seasoned veterans in this method.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buzzing a tuning note concert Bb, chances are you're buzzing "correctly" enough. (Never tongue a buzz, and don't buzz too loudly or on fatigued chops.) Yes, when you play those notes on the horn, play the way you usually play. Over time, the two will merge into one way . . . for playing and buzzing both.

I would suggest only doing this once on a given day, and you might want to ease into it gradually and extend it over a period of weeks or months. "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Good points, good questions; I hope this answer gets you off and running.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my nose to the grindstone and not expect too much too soon. Funny, that's the quote in Doc's book when after 13 1/2 years of him struggling his teacher told him "Rome wasn't built in a day". Haha.

Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you a bit at ITG.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: