• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording cornet Reply with quote

Today I unexpectedly won a bid for a Olds Recording cornet on Shopgoodwill. Anyone have this cornet? What mouthpiece would you recommended?

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amateur's Amateur

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

First of all, if the serial number is earlier than 189,611 it requires a larger-than-normal-shank mouthpiece. Not sure why Olds did it that way back then, but there it is. And 1954 should be before that number.

So any "large shank" Olds mp will work. I find that the Olds 3 is a good place to start. It's a bit deeper than a typical C-cup mp (or so it seems to me) and gets the sound more toward the deeper/fluffier/darker, cornettier sound that I seek when on cornet.

I use Curry cornet mp's myself and have three...the p cup, BBC and VC. But those are about $100 new, with shipping, from mouthpiece express. It costs a bit more than stock for the Olds shank. Never found a used one.

(I like the VC and BBC the most)

Some other options exist for getting mp's with this size shank..
http://rouses.net/trumpet/cornetmpc/cornetmpc.htm

One option not mentioned here is that Matt Frost at Frost Custom Brass will make the mp you like into a large-shank Olds.
http://www.frostcustombrass.net/services.html (scroll down towards the bottom of the page.) It's $50 to make the change and $15 for re-plate. I have never had it done, but he's done some other stuff for me and it looked and worked great. And he's friendly to deal with.

Of course, you can change the receiver and avoid all the large-shank issues. I like Curry, regardless of shank size. Well-made, options, and a variety of cups to suit whatever type of music you play or sound you seek.
Enjoy the Recording!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Found a few olds cornet mouthpieces including 27 model. I play on 3C and 4c equivalent mouthpieces.

Where does the recording fit in the Olds lineup and is it a intermediate cornet?

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinW

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is NOT an intermediate cornet. Top of the line. That is on my bucket list.

Enjoy!
Kevin
1954 Olds Ambassado Cornet (Brush finish by Charlie Melk)
1973 Olds SuperStar
1973 LA Benge ML
1960 Martin Indiana
1925 Conn New York Symphony 22B
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: recorder cornet Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. Good to know. The only Olds instrument, I have owed was a Olds Ambassador trumpet.

Since it came without a mouthpiece, what mouthpiece would recommend?
Abroadway

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one, and I was surprised by its performance right out of the case with the olds mouthpiece that came with it. Personally, I would recommend a curry mouthpiece - thats what I use.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Conn #3 Silver Cornet Mouthpiece, Standard Long Shank Vintag Reply with quote

Would a Conn #3 Silver Cornet Mouthpiece, Standard Long Shank Vintage fit this cornet? Found one on ebay for a cheap price. Once I receive the cornet, I will see what current mouthpiece i have that fits in the receiver.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Impatiently waiting on Olds Recording cornet Reply with quote

While I am waiting on the arrival of the Olds Recording cornet, wondering how it fits in their lineup. Ambassador is the student horn. What is the order of the others?
Amateur's Amateur

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's second from the top, price-wise. Heres's a catalog from 1957:
http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds57/olds1957.htm

Ambassador, Special, Studio, Super, Recording, Mendez. Of those, I have only played the Super and the Special from that time period. The Recording has a stellar reputation as an Excellent cornet (and trumpet).

I'm betting you'll like it.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: haven't received Reply with quote

Thanks for information on lineup. Waiting on arrival. The photos show and dent in bend and not sure about lacquer. Always a risk buying from Shopgoodwill.

May boil off the lacquer and make raw brass.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "old" Olds cornet mouthpiece shank is about the size of a Bach taper flugelhorn mouthpiece. Most any modern cornet mouthpiece (including the older Conn short-shank) will be too small to fit correctly. Some won't seat at all, and others will seat way up the shank - neither is a good solution. I suppose you could wrap a standard cornet mouthpiece with some tape to get it to fit as a temporary fix until you find an Olds or custom one that fits correctly.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned on that horn, but made slightly later in Fullerton so it takes a standard cornet shank. GREAT horn! Far superior to the more expensive Mendez.

As Dale says, the older LA receiver will take a Bach taper flugel piece. A shallower-brighter one makes a good option, but so does a deep one!

Other options include having a mpc custom made with that shank, and Mark Curry does that. He makes great deep cup stuff but still, you'd better know what you like.

You can modify the horn to accept standard cornet shanks. A purist frowns on that idea, but it may be the most practical. Assuming you bought it cheap it is definitely worth whatever it to takes to bring it up to top playing condition!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Price of cornet Reply with quote

Bought the cornet for $54.00 dollars + shipping = $72.91. I won't modify it to accept to accept standard mps.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Recording Cornets are excellent horns and you can't lose at that price.

You can order an Olds shank on the Curry mouthpieces or from Terry Warburton. Warburton's shop responded immediately and with many options for tops and backbores. Enjoy.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Conn #3 Silver Cornet Mouthpiece, Standard Long Shank Reply with quote

Bought this Conn #3 Silver Cornet Mouthpiece, Standard Long Shank Vintage. Liked the price.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: recorder cornet Reply with quote

I thought cornet was advertised on Shopgoodwill as a Olds Recorder. Well it is a Recording , but not an Olds cornet. Has bottom springs and a notch in the valve casing like my Conn 17 A Director cornet. My trumpet mouthpiece fits in the receiver, but not any of my cornet mouthpieces. Lacquer isn't great and dent on bend of cornet. Valves are in excellent shape.

On Monday I will give it a hot bath and boil off the lacquer. Will make an excellent raw brass cornet.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...just wow...
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Dale means by that, but you could damage the receiver by using it like that. Is it a cornet? Does it say Recording on the bell?
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: recorder cornet Reply with quote

Although advertised as an Olds Recorder, not an Olds cornet. I thought it was misprint.Photo and lacquer wasn't clear.

Cornet mouthpiece don't work in it. Large gap.

Will bring it to my tech person to fix dent in bend. See if he has any mouthpieces.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I'm not sure what Dale means by that...

It's not even an Olds cornet. Just a mystery horn with "Recorder" stamped on the bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: