• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roll-In Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beel40
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the book months ago, and have used it periodically to facilitate a more closed lip setting. I have had pretty good success with the roll-in, but my question is this regarding the roll-out exercises...is the lower lip expected to remain OUTSIDE the mpc when doing them? Even on the higher notes? How high can one play using this setting? And with good tone?
Seems really awkward to me...
But, even though I am having trouble understanding this, I must say that the roll-out position described in the book helped me to play pedals for the first time in my life. And I can almost do as well with a rolled in position now. I am guessing that, eventually the "balance" is when you can do it all on the rolled in setting or somewhere in between..??
A VIDEO TAPE COMPANION TO THIS BOOK WOULD BE INVALUABLE!!!
Thanks!
Bill Cryderman
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do just like the pictures in the book describing roll out until you slur up out of the pedal notes, then you return to a "normal" setting.
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is to create a continuous flex from rolled out for the low register to rolled in for the high register.
When you come out of the pedal register the lip takes a more normal shape, but you remain a bit of the feeling of the double pedal. For me this is mostly the forward and inward feeling of the corners and the focus of the double pedal sound.

Bert
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I slur out of the double-pedal register my bottom lip slides over the rim and into the cup. After just a little work it's amazing how smooth it can become. I try to retain the rolled-out feel by keeping my corners the same. As you go high and higher your lips will roll in, but you keep the feel in the corners the same, at least that's how I'm interpreting the book. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Up to G on the staff the lips are actually rolled out, but they get rolled in by the time I get to high C. I don't think I'm "cheating", but I'm not certain.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: