• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptplus22

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Pickett mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hello,

I have played a Bach 3C and Bach 3D for 25+ years.

About 5 years I switched to the Curry line - a 5C for legit and a 5m and 5 star for my funk band.

I like the Currys but am interested in trying the Pickett mouthpieces.

I'm looking for a little more endurance and a little easier upper register.

Which would be a better choice the Pickett 3D with a 10-5 backbore or the Pickett 5D with a 10-5 backbore?

Thanks in advance.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Curry pieces to which you refer in your post, but I do have experience with Bach and Pickett.

I would say that the Pickett offerings sound a bit brighter than their Bach counterparts. The response is lightning fast, and they are very easy to play.

I think that the Pickett D cup is quite a bit brighter sounding than the Bach C cups. The 3 rim on the Pickett piece, however, will feel wider than the Bach 3. The 5 rim may be more similar to a Bach 3.

Good luck!

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently gone through some Pickett pieces on my mouthpiece journey, I'd agree w/ Dave that a Pickett 3 would feel bigger than most "3"'s. I found the 3 to feel more like a 1.5 from most people. I found the Pickett 4 to feel like a slightly larger side of the "3" scale and the Pickett 5 to feel on the smaller side. I'd suggest maybe a 5 or 6 rim, C cup with a 10-2 backbore to replace your Curry 5C and a D cup with a 10-3 or 10-4 to replace a Curry STAR (*) or M w/ his "X10". I think a 10-5 would be a good bit tighter than the Curry X10 backbore. Shoot an e-mail to the shop to be sure though--you'll be hard pressed to find better service than either Eric or Peter will give you. They may have a Curry 5 rim on file and can either make you some custom tops w/ that rim, or tell you which of their rims would be the closest.
trptplus22

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Pickett mouthpices Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

The Curry 5m has a .660 diameter whereas the Pickett 4D has a .655 diameter and the 5D has a .650 diameter therefore I'm thinking the 4D may be a better fit for me. Also would you recommend going with the standard 27 throat?

Thanks
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pickett mouthpices Reply with quote

trptplus22 wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

The Curry 5m has a .660 diameter whereas the Pickett 4D has a .655 diameter and the 5D has a .650 diameter therefore I'm thinking the 4D may be a better fit for me. Also would you recommend going with the standard 27 throat?

Thanks

Curry and Pickett likely do not measure at the same spot. I hate to be absolutely certain since I've not played a Curry 5, but I have played other "5's", and I have played everything in Pickett from 1.25 down to 5 and I think even their 5 is larger than most other "5's".

I had side by side very recently an ACB 3C and a Pickett 4. If you'd blindfolded me, I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. I've also had a Curry 1.5 and a Pickett 3 side by side, and the Pickett 3 felt larger than the Curry 1.5. A Pickett 5 is going to be closer, and possibly a 6.

Also, even if they did measure at the same spot, there is a very big difference between a "Bach 5C" rim contour (which the Curry 5 is based on) and a Pickett contour. The Pickett is wider, and flatter, and the high point is likely going to be further out making the piece feel larger in diameter still.

Go with whatever throat you are comfortable with now. If your Curry pieces are stock, they will be a "loose 27".
Fredrik

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptplus22,

I've also played the Curry 5C and 5Star for a long time, actually they were my main mouthpieces for two or three years. Then I did an upsize to 3 and 1.5 rims.

I played the Pickett 3C, 3D and 3B before going to 1.5 rim sizes.

I haven't tried different Pickett backbores since all my Picketts were one-piece. However, the Pickett 3 rim feels very different from the Curry 5, at least to me. The Curry 5 feels smaller in size and also the rim feels a little bit more narrow and rounded.

Both the Currys and the Picketts are quality mouthpieces so I think it's more about what fits your face. To me the Pickett 3D and the Curry 5Star has a similiar kind of sound and feel even though I'm not very sure they're similar i cup shape.

Kind regards

Fredrik
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried getting your Curry mouthpiece setup with a sleeve? I know Bob Reeves and Stomvi do a really good job with this. Also, Curry will do this too.

I started going down the endless hole of mouthpiece searching and decided one day to have a mouthpiece that always felt good on the chops get converted to for the sleeve. What a great decision! I was able to get a really amazing balance with the mouthpiece and horn.

Good luck!
trptplus22

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Pickett mouthpieces Reply with quote

Jaysonr--

So are you saying that the Pickett 4D feels bigger than a Bach 3 (.630) or the Curry 3 (.665)? I know that the Curry 3 feels bigger that a Bach 3. If the Pickett 4D feels bigger than the Bach 3 I'm fine with that however if it feels bigger than the Curry 3 then that's too big.

Also are you saying that overall the Pickett mouthpieces feel larger than they are marked. If so would the Pickett 5D at .650 feel closer to the Curry 5m .660. Or would the Pickett 4D at .655.

Thanks.
trptplus22

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Pickett mouthpieces Reply with quote

Jaysonr--

So are you saying that the Pickett 4D feels bigger than a Bach 3 (.630) or the Curry 3 (.665)? I know that the Curry 3 feels bigger that a Bach 3. If the Pickett 4D feels bigger than the Bach 3 I'm fine with that however if it feels bigger than the Curry 3 then that's too big.

Also are you saying that overall the Pickett mouthpieces feel larger than they are marked. If so would the Pickett 5D at .650 feel closer to the Curry 5m .660. Or would the Pickett 4D at .655.

Thanks.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pickett mouthpieces Reply with quote

trptplus22 wrote:
Jaysonr--

Thanks.

It's been a long time since I've played a Curry 3 or a Bach 3, but here is what I am saying:

1.) Curry and Pickett almost certainly measure at different places

2a.) Curry rims are based on Bach rims, and aside from the "600" series have unique contours for each model/diameter.
2b.) Pickett rims are uniform throughout the range, and are wider, flatter and have more cushion than most of Curry's rims (not sure about the Curry 2, I know it's pretty flat).
2c.) The contour and high point of the rim make a difference in how big a piece feels on your face.

3.) The Pickett 3 feels slightly bigger to me than the Curry 1.5

4.) The Pickett 4 feels nearly the same as an ACB 3C

5.) The Pickett 5 feels very close to the Hammond 5 (the Hammond 5 is marketed as their "3C" equivalent), and noticeably bigger than a Hammond 6 (which is their "5"). It also feels larger than a Warburton 5.

These are based on my experience with how they feel to me. Like Dave CCM/SSO said above in this thread, the Pickett number might night align perfectly with Bach numbers. Pickett starts at 0 and has a 4, Bach has no 0 and no 4, so that should tell you right that they don't necessarily line up.

The only way to know for sure, is to try some for yourself. They have an excellent return policy (which I have used before), and/or Pickett stuff shows up pretty regularly in the marketplace.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but still about Pickett mouthpieces. Is their standard setup(for the one piece models) the 27 throat with a 10-2 backbore or are those just fillers for the options?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
Slightly off topic but still about Pickett mouthpieces. Is their standard setup(for the one piece models) the 27 throat with a 10-2 backbore or are those just fillers for the options?

Yes, a 27/10-2 is standard on a 1 piece model not marked otherwise. If the 1 piece is only marked w/ a throat number, it also means 10-2 backbore as well.

Their 10-2 backbore is a great all-around backbore which, to me, feels and sounds in between a Bach 10 and Bach 24.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Betelgeuse215 wrote:

Yes, a 27/10-2 is standard on a 1 piece model not marked otherwise. If the 1 piece is only marked w/ a throat number, it also means 10-2 backbore as well.

Their 10-2 backbore is a great all-around backbore which, to me, feels and sounds in between a Bach 10 and Bach 24.

Thanks!
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a 5D pickett brass top. currently I play with a warburton 4M. I feel Pickett a little smaller in diameter and the cup a little higher. it is still too early to draw conclusions
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: