• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FDC05
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anrapa wrote:
FDC05 wrote:

ANRAPA seems to be trying to attack LOTUS more than anything. I would love to hear why, after years of work, you decided to do a complete re-design on your horns only 2 months before launching. I'm willing to bet there is more to the story....

It is extremely odd reading such a comment, I want to attribute it to a very distracted reading of what has written previously.
Facts are quite simple: people linked videos of my horns and mouthpieces to the Lotus brand. I pointed that out.
I've also read my horns look like Monette. I would expect this kind of associations from saxophone or piano players. The only similarity is that so far you only saw photos of raw brass instruments, which is one of the finishes Monette uses, and of course has not been invented by Dave.
Also, I've been put in a cathegory of heavy horns: my heaviest trumpet is 50 grams more than a Bach. My average model is lighter than a Bach, my lightest is a LOT lighter than a Bach.

I'm not trying to start a flame war... I'm also not a distracted reader. (SQUIRREL!) I understand horns can look identical and play vastly different. It is just interesting (not speculative), that Taylor comes out with a Chicago re-design, AR Resonance come out, and then LOTUS comes out, and they all have such strikingly similar design features.... to include the unique angled ferrules, bell and tuning slides bends.
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDC05 wrote:
anrapa wrote:
FDC05 wrote:

ANRAPA seems to be trying to attack LOTUS more than anything. I would love to hear why, after years of work, you decided to do a complete re-design on your horns only 2 months before launching. I'm willing to bet there is more to the story....

It is extremely odd reading such a comment, I want to attribute it to a very distracted reading of what has written previously.
Facts are quite simple: people linked videos of my horns and mouthpieces to the Lotus brand. I pointed that out.
I've also read my horns look like Monette. I would expect this kind of associations from saxophone or piano players. The only similarity is that so far you only saw photos of raw brass instruments, which is one of the finishes Monette uses, and of course has not been invented by Dave.
Also, I've been put in a cathegory of heavy horns: my heaviest trumpet is 50 grams more than a Bach. My average model is lighter than a Bach, my lightest is a LOT lighter than a Bach.

I'm not trying to start a flame war... I'm also not a distracted reader. (SQUIRREL!) I understand horns can look identical and play vastly different. It is just interesting (not speculative), that Taylor comes out with a Chicago re-design, AR Resonance come out, and then LOTUS comes out, and they all have such strikingly similar design features.... to include the unique angled ferrules, bell and tuning slides bends.

I agree with Mark ... they look similar and they "seems to have" in common some features (same MAW valves: Taylor Chicago III - Lotus - Resonance; same bell and tuning slides bends, etc...) ... that explain, for me, all these type of considerations in this 3d

I'm sure all three are great horns and all three should be tried

Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be look similar but if you look closer apart from MAV valve blocks they are completely different. One has a 2 piece bell, the other 1 piece bell. One is on the heavy side (i think Lotus) the other on the light side. One has a "standard" receiver and leadpipe, the other not so "standard". And this is only from a quick look. I'm sure they are both wonderful instruments but i suppose very different in timbre, feelin' personalization and so on.
Should be fun to try them both side by side.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These horns are both pretty pricey. I'd rather drop that kind of money on a pocket trumpet which is much harder to make sound good. I'm sure both those horn sounds awesome. Maybe it's just a case of 'sibling rivalry'. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these horns if you told those guys what you want the trumpet to do and have them built it around your specifications. Seems like they have many combinations that would suit all players already. All the best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
These horns are both pretty pricey. I'd rather drop that kind of money on a pocket trumpet which is much harder to make sound good

Wait are you saying you want to spend a lot of money on a trumpet you know you will struggle to sound good on? Or that you want to drop it on a pocket trumpet that plays really well?
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!!! I'm saying that, if someone is going to drop that kind of time and effort and more $$ to make a trumpet, it's almost definitely going to be a very good trumpet. I'm sure all the trumpets that have been listed in this thread at are $3,000-$5,000+ are very good playing instruments. It's just that I've done back-to-back tests of playing a student Holton Collegiate from the 50's/60's and pro-Bach Strad and people couldn't tell the difference. An old getzen Capri from the 60's can sound amazing and it's only a few hundred dollars. I know some players like to have a lot of variables to play around with, with one trumpet - like changing leadpipes, bells, etc.. but, personally, I just want a trumpet I can put up to my chops and play and not worry about switching around different configurations, etc.. I do that enough already with mouthpieces!

A pocket trumpet is apparently a lot harder to make. I assume because of the tight wrapping. So, to make one sound like a really good full-size Bb, it takes a lot of time and effort. That's why I would be much more likely to drop the 3-4K on a Marcinkiewicz pocket trumpet than I would on a full-size Bb.. Keep in mind, I play a lot of small group jazz and I would use it as one of my main axes on these gigs. All the best, Lex

p.s. - I've played some very expensive Bb trumpets, like the Harrelson Summit trumpet, that I've been very impressed with.
Www.LexSamu.com
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read every post in this thread but I do know they were at ITG. However, I've sent two emails through their website with some very specific questions. So far, after 2 1/2 weeks all I've heard from them is crickets. Not the best customer support and very surprising coming from two of the pillars of the trumpet world. Somewhat disappointed.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just double checked, no emails in the spam box, I've replied to all of the emails in my inbox.
What's your email?
Tony

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmtrumpeter@comcast.net

Frank Zappa
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you didn't write me, that's why.
I generally reply almost immediately to all of the messages I get.

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

OK...for clarity sake, and especially for those who haven’t been in on this thread from the beginning…

…this thread is about Lotus Trumpets, a newly-launched trumpet-making company headed up by Adam Rapa, Andy Taylor, and Henrik Grahn, according to their website. In doing a search for “Rapa” as in “Adam Rapa,” in our TH Registry, I’m not finding Adam Rapa’s name listed, BUT, I find instead…

“Rapacciuolo, Antonio” - and since he is located in Italy, I’m guessing he is the proud owner of AR Resonance and is the poster “anrapa” in this thread. It appears he has abbreviated his first and last name to “An” and “Rapa,” which is confusing in this situation, since we could be thinking that it is Adam Rapa abbreviating his first two initials perhaps, followed by his last name (and of course, I don’t know Adam’s middle name, so this is all an assumption). So, anyone jumping in the middle of this thread could easily become confused. Another local trumpeter texted me when this thread started two weeks ago, thinking that these horns, Lotus and AR Resonance, were one and the same.

So, here’s where I think some of us have gotten confused further:

If you go to the first page of this thread, you’ll see that “Brent” made the initial post of the website for LotusTrumpets.com. Then, two posts down, “anrapa" responded “Mmmmm….” with arresonance.com in his signature line, followed by some links to pictures in a Dropbox of what I suspect are those of AR Resonance. BUT they look very close to the new Lotus brand on the Lotus website, especially with 4th valve tubing, prominent brushed lacquer finish, seamless look to mouthpiece and leadpipe, and other elements at a cursory glance. Now we know from this series of posts, differences have been highlighted between the two relatively new brands. (It would be interesting to find out when AR Resonance started production. I believe Lotus just launched their line the week of ITG at the end of May.)

It appears that both are being quite adventurous in launching a notable line of models. AR Resonance is using Italian terms for their model names, which I find pretty cool. They aren’t all in production, yet, but it’s commendable that they are forward-thinking in growing the company, which should be a welcomed blessing to those of us in the trumpet community. Seeing new trumpet makers in the industry could mean that other manufacturers will be pushed to stay on top of their output, so that stagnation in development of our most noble instrument will not happen. Their model names are:

Suprema, Feroce, Estrema, Classica, Leggera, Piccola, Veloce, Soave, Audace

Quite frankly, they look like terms you’d find in a bed scene of an Italian romance novel. Very cool. At least from an American’s perspective.

So, I started this post to point out that I think “trumplyr” (Marty) mentions above that he has sent two emails to the “website,” and hasn’t gotten a reply. THEN, “anrapa” replies that he hasn’t received the emails. At this point, I have to believe that Marty is thinking that “anrapa” is Adam Rapa. Ha! See the apparent miscommunication?! What a conundrum!

Well, Marty, I, too, sent two emails to Lotus Trumpets from their website and haven’t gotten a reply. I figured at first they were just too busy with ITG, and then recovering from ITG, but by now, I’ve figured they could care less if they sell a trumpet to me or not. I guess they have enough money and potential client base elsewhere…maybe in your very own town! I dunno. (I highly respect Adam Rapa's playing...am hoping they can start responding to their email inquiries or work out any technical glitch they may be having.)

As for AR Resonance, I understand from an email I got from Josh Landress the other day, that he will be (possibly?) carrying your line. I will be in NYC in a couple of weeks and hope to play one, if they are in stock be then.

Last edited by dstpt on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
lewins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did meet Adam Rapa at ITG and tried a couple of his new horns. They were very good. One of the presenters told me that Adam went for a stretch of a few days without sleep just prior to the conference, as they are working extremely hard at starting up this company. So I would suspect they're probably still a bit overwhelmed right now.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

Hey, I just got this email from Lotus Trumpets:
----------------
Thank you for your message!

We on Lotus Trumpets are a small team of people responding to a large amount of requests. We are answering emails and order requests as well as we can, and we excuse the delay.

The price for all of the standard trumpets, Bb and C, is 5000€ [~$5600 USD]. We offer shipping anywhere in the world. There is around a month waiting time to get a Lotus Trumpet yourself.

At the moment we have a limited amount of trumpets to try out. Dealers will be coming up in the near future, and we will let you know as soon as we can. In the meantime, I hope you don't mind that we send some entertaining content your way =)

Please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you.

I wish you a wonderful day, and have fun playing!

Best regards,

Henrik Grahn
Lotus Trumpets
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

And for any newcomers to TH that may be further confused in connection to the present issue:

Adams Trumpets are a completely different line of trumpets! They have been in the business of making percussion and brass instruments for several years.

So, don't confuse Adams with Adam Rapa, or anrapa owner of AR Resonance with Adam Rapa. The latter is the notable trumpet player, who has joined forces to create Lotus Trumpets.

So to clarify:

Lotus Trumpets, made by:
Adam Rapa, Andy Taylor, and Henrik Grahn

AR Resonance, affiliated with TH member: anrapa
Located in Spain.

Adams Trumpets
Located principally in The Netherlands and Belgium.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
OK, friends, please correct me if I’m wrong, but for clarity sake, and especially for those who haven’t been in on this thread from the beginning…

…this thread is about Lotus Trumpets, a newly-launched trumpet-making company headed up by Adam Rapa, Andy Taylor, and Henrik Grahn, according to their website. In doing a search for “Rapa” as in “Adam Rapa,” in our TH Registry, I’m not finding Adam Rapa’s name listed, BUT, I find instead…

“Rapacciuolo, Antonio” - and since he is located in Italy, I’m guessing he is the proud owner of AR Resonance and is the poster “anrapa” in this thread. It appears he has abbreviated his first and last name to “An” and “Rapa,” which is confusing in this situation, since we could be thinking that it is Adam Rapa abbreviating his first two initials perhaps, followed by his last name (and of course, I don’t know Adam’s middle name, so this is all an assumption). So, anyone jumping in the middle of this thread could easily become confused. Another local trumpeter texted me when this thread started two weeks ago, thinking that these horns, Lotus and AR Resonance, were one and the same.

So, here’s where I think some of us have gotten confused further:

If you go to the first page of this thread, you’ll see that “Brent” made the initial post of the website for LotusTrumpets.com. Then, two posts down, “anrapa" responded “Mmmmm….” with arresonance.com in his signature line, followed by some links to pictures in a Dropbox of what I suspect are those of AR Resonance. BUT they look very close to the new Lotus brand on the Lotus website, especially with 4th valve tubing, prominent brushed lacquer finish, seamless look to mouthpiece and leadpipe, and other elements at a cursory glance. Now we know from this series of posts, differences have been highlighted between the two relatively new brands. (It would be interesting to find out when AR Resonance started production. I believe Lotus just launched their line the week of ITG at the end of May.)

It appears that both are being quite adventurous in launching a notable line of models. AR Resonance is using Italian terms for their model names, which I find pretty cool. They aren’t all in production, yet, but it’s commendable that they are forward-thinking in growing the company, which should be a welcomed blessing to those of us in the trumpet community. Seeing new trumpet makers in the industry could mean that other manufacturers will be pushed to stay on top of their output, so that stagnation in development of our most noble instrument will not happen. Their model names are:

Suprema, Feroce, Estrema, Classica, Leggera, Piccola, Veloce, Soave, Audace

Quite frankly, they look like terms you’d find in a bed scene of an Italian romance novel. Very sexy. And cool. At least from an American’s perspective.

So, I started this post to point out that I think “trumplyr” (Marty) mentions above that he has sent two emails to the “website,” and hasn’t gotten a reply. THEN, “anrapa” replies that he hasn’t received the emails. At this point, I have to believe that Marty is thinking that “anrapa” is Adam Rapa. Ha! See the apparent miscommunication?! What a conundrum!

Well, Marty, I, too, sent two emails to Lotus Trumpets from their website and haven’t gotten a reply. I figured at first they were just too busy with ITG, and then recovering from ITG, but by now, I’ve figured they could care less if they sell a trumpet to me or not. I guess they have enough money and potential client base elsewhere…maybe in your very own town! I dunno. (I highly respect Adam Rapa's playing...am hoping they can start responding to their email inquiries or work out any technical glitch they may be having.)

As for AR Resonance, I understand from an email I got from Josh Landress the other day, that he will be (possibly?) carrying your line. I will be in NYC in a couple of weeks and hope to play one, if they are in stock be then.

dstpt: I was never confused over who I wrote to. You are correct that when anrapa replied I started to think they (anrapa & Lotus trumpets) were one and the same. I guess it's my ignorance but I had not heard of AR Resonance trumpets before now. I think anrapa was confused thinking I had written to him. We've exchanged a couple of messages and all is clear, no issues. I'm glad you finally got a reply from Lotus, maybe there's hope I too will get a reply.

Frank Zappa
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Adams Trumpets

Maybe technically true, but Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass in the US of A carries the full line of Adams instruments.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To dstpt:

I've been using anrapa as a nickname since in 1996 when I studied at the Polytechnic of Turin University, in Italy. I've been given this nickname by Telecom Italia, the internet provider, that at that time assigned emails taking the first two letters of the name and 4 of the surname. I've used it as my nickname on Italian and US trumpet forums for about 10-15 years now, I think.
I'm sorry it can create confusion especially because I've been in the trumpet market as a Taylor dealer for about 10 years, I've been marketing AR mouthpieces made by Taylor for 6 or 7 years, and I've been making my own mouthpieces for 3 years and trumpets for 1 year now.

My horns have been prototyped in part thanks to Andy Taylor who initially assembled some of my parts to his bells and MAW valve blocks. I later decided to go on by myself as I wanted to develop my products with high tech machineries, one piece bells, different materials and so on. I don't regret the very first prototypes made by Andy, simply I wanted them to be different and of a higher technical level to offer a much bigger spectrum of sounds and feelings through the one piece lead pipe with the integral threaded receiver and other features I've described a few messages ago.
Among the many people who play tested the first prototypes there are players from Italy and abroad including at least 10 top players in different fields, from symphonic orchestras, big bands, soloists and so on. Among them Scott Tinkler, Alex Sipiagin, Adam Rapa, Marquis Hill, Mark Bennett, Andy Gravish and so on.
Adam has played Resonance horns for several months and I designed many different mouthpieces for him, both for the Resonance trumpets and for his Monette Tantra, a couple of those horns can be seen in the videos you guys linked.
The photos of the 3 pistons plus one rotor is one of the prototypes that has been rebuilt with my one piece lead pipe with the threaded system. That system is present only on my horns, you can clearly see Resonance engraved on it.

Once this first phase was over I decided to go through a major redesign changing most of the horns as I wasn't satisfied with a few things of the previous ones and the experiment with the lead pipe of the "3+1" proved to be a great improvement over the first horns, different materials, shapes and weights for the trim kits and the taper of the bells had a major role too.

The new horns have been tested a LOT more by a LOT more players in a LOT of different setups and the unanimous verdict was of a huge improvement, I then made several models each with a very distinct sound and role.

At the moment most of the models listed in the website are actual horns, I'm just waiting to tweak them until I think they are ready for an official launch.

Sorry if I confused you saying I didn't get your email but you wrote "two pillars of the trumpet world" and I though you were referring to makers. In a way I though you were sarcastic, I'm far from being a pillar!

Thanks for appreciating the Italian names, I chose words that have the same root as in English or that are commonly used in the US for other reasons.

Josh Landress is an official dealer for my products, he has mouthpieces and I hope he will decide to carry my horns as well (bug him!). At the moment you can find my products in Chicago, Las Vegas, New York, Hong Kong, Norway, Slovenia, UK, Germany, Belgium, France and of course Italy. Soon I will announce more dealers.

BTW I'm not affiliated with anrapa, I AM anrapa, Antonio Rapacciuolo, you can check me on FB, and I live in Italy, not in Spain.

I hope this clarifies it, don't mix Adam with Adams, Rapa with Rapacciuolo, AR Resonance with Resonance from Monette. (that's an entirely different story... looks like there are too few words in US dictionaries when it comes to name a company or a product!)

Thanks for your patience!

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
dstpt wrote:
Adams Trumpets

Maybe technically true, but Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass in the US of A carries the full line of Adams instruments.

Yes, and I nearly mentioned Trent in my post, but I was mainly trying to list the location of origin/manufacturing. I have purchased from Trent, but not an Adams trumpet, although he'd demonstrated a few horns for me personally at a trade show a few years ago...great player, cool line of horns...and of course, we've heard him on his ACB site play many through the years.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

Dear anrapa,

All is clear to me. I was mainly writing for those who may have joined this thread mid-way through the discourse and haven’t found it convenient to go back and read through the four pages of posts to date, or to anyone fairly new to the trumpet world in general, or to those like me that did not know about your line until this thread about Lotus Trumpets was first posted. I, personally, find it cool that people like you, and those at Lotus, are finding a passion for developing innovations in trumpet making, which then gives us players a greater selection. Also encouraging in all of this is the inclusion of computer software in the process, whereby I’ve heard mentioned by other makers on TH that they can run countless simulations to experiment with various aspects of tonal variations before ever touching (wasting) actual material. It seems like this is a vast advantage over what Vincent Bach and others had in the past.

I was not the person that wrote about the “two pillars of the trumpet world,” btw. It was Marty, a.k.a. “trumplyr,” and I understood him to be referring to the two well-known names in our world affiliated with Lotus Trumpets: Adam Rapa, known mainly (to me) as a performer, and Andy Taylor, who has had a trumpet line under his name for some time. I do find it interesting to read your most recent post in how all of you are connected, which make sense to me now as to why there appears to be notable similarities in Lotus and AR Resonance products.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lotus Trumpets Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
So to clarify:

Lotus Trumpets, made by:
Adam Rapa, Andy Taylor, and Henrik Grahn

AR Resonance, affiliated with TH member: anrapa
Located in ITALY (not Spain! Duh!).

Adams Trumpets

And yes, I meant Italy, and not Spain! I have been corresponding with K.O. at Stomvi-USA today and had that on my brain, I guess. My apologies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: