• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sean Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sean Jones Reply with quote

Howdy. The lady and I went last night to see Sean Jones perform at the Jazz Standard. It's the finest trumpet performance I've seen in years. Incredible stuff.

No matter how modern he gets, he's never far away from some chicken-grease blues. He showed total command of his instrument and an extraordinary range of styles, from Louis Armstrong shakes to Woody Shaw pentatonic wizardry.

If you have the chance to see him at this engagement, I strongly recommend it. The band is killing as well, with the legendary Orrin Evans on piano keeping the kids in line.

I purchased a live album he recorded with this lineup but haven't listened to it yet.

Fantastic stuff, Mr. Sean Jones!
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a beast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQvP3Buv60
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll resurrect my own thread. We saw Sean Jones again last week, this time with his "Electric Quartet." They were phenomenal.

Sean Jones! He's the man! If you haven't checked out his playing, I strongly recommend doing so. He has just plain crazy chops, brings around killing bands, and plays profoundly musically in all contexts. He's playing the braces off that horn also.

The year is young, but that's the best trumpet performance I've heard so far in 2020!
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: SJ Reply with quote

He gets absolute admiration from his peers. Jon Faddis, Brian Lynch, Marvin Stamm, the list goes on about what phenomenal talent he is.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, thanks for the heads up - I haven't been aware of him so far. We should have a separate thread on players to watch out for ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y-o-y wrote:
He is a beast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQvP3Buv60

My new hero.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to about I guess the year 2000,I was called to do a 2 week engagement playing the Show "Sophisticated Ladies" in Oslo Norway; The band was more or less 1/2 from L.A. and half from NY..Turned out to be a really good band, and the music in that show is great; Nice trumpet section with Bobby Burns playing lead, myself playing 2nd,cant remember the name of the 3rd guy, and a young guy playing 4th trumpet. Sean Jones; He had just graduated from College ,Oberlin I think.
He was a really nice guy,21 years old I guess, and was really nervous;Told me he hadn't`t really played a Broadway show and was really into getting it right; Conductor actually took me aside and told me to help him out if needed, as I was sitting next to him; First rehearsal,he played pretty defensively until he was sure of things, which is natural;Second rehearsal, more confident, played the part really well, seemed more comfortable..OK, opening night, he basically played his book perfectly, and away we go.
So in the exit music, there is a part that goes into "Take the A Train" and the conductor started opening it up, pointing to people to solo..By the third night of this, he points to Sean to solo, and WHAT?? Man it was like a turbo charged Woody Shaw/Freddie Hubbard combo..who knew? Very Impressive!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:
Going back to about I guess the year 2000....

Great story, thanks for sharing. Sean Jones came out of Warren, OH and did his undergrad in Youngstown. I grew up in Ohio around the same time, and of all the talented trumpet players that came out of that state around my age, it was Sean Jones whose name was whispered in awe. No matter how bad you were, Sean Jones was known as the baddest. That has... more or less proven true!

(Props to all the other Ohio trumpet players from my generation that are still out there playing their butts off! I feel like we had a really talented batch of fantastic trumpet players all graduating high school and in college around the '95-'00 time frame in the state that have gone on to great music careers.)
BRASSerie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a spectacular player, a fantastic educator, and a magnificent person.

He is beloved by the students at Peabody, and the faculty that he's put together in an extremely short time -- including Warren Wolf (vibes and, well, everything else), Richard Johnson (piano), Quincy Phillips (drums), Tim Green (sax), Kris Funn (bass) -- is phenomenal. There are many freshman this year that would've gone to other more established programs but chose Peabody because of Sean and that faculty. The fall semester ended with their big band playing with Christian McBride in a public performance.

Peabody Jazz is experiencing quite a transformation/renaissance under Sean, and is on a definite upwards trajectory. Will be a lot of fun to see how the program is in 2023 after he's had 4 straight years to recruit HIS students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: