• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bud Herseth Hummel Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua712

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Bud Herseth Hummel Recording Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to a recording of Bud Herseth playing the Hummel Concerto or would be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hummel Trumpet Concerto (with Solti, CSO 1983) was available on a CSO Radiothon CD.

Perhaps not anymore?

Ole
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Herseth Hummel performance is a classic and is well worth having in your collection.

This is the CD set you'd be looking for, but there aren't any copies available right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Soloists-Orchestra-II-Archives-15/dp/B002WJ4U08/ref=sr_1_21?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1472474618&sr=1-21&keywords=chicago+symphony+from+the+archives

Copies of this set show up on Ebay from time to time as well.

I believe that the CSO once sold a USB with all of those radio archive CD sets on it, but I can't seem to find it on the CSO website.

I saw Herseth play the Hummel with the CSO in 1990 with Erich Leinsdorf conducting. Great memories!

JU
johntpt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review of that set:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-6259/

"Hummel’s flashy trumpet concerto displays Adolph Herseth’s mega-secure virtuosity at its apex. His high notes and trills alone are enough to keep young, aspiring trumpet players honest. Too bad that Georg Solti’s accompaniment doesn’t match the soloist’s relaxed, playful demeanor. "

JU
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to try your local library for the "Soloists from the Orchestra" CD. They can sometimes hunt down copies of obscure recordings from another library where they share borrowing privileges.
johntpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rare copy of a CSO cd set that feature Herseth playing the Telemann. I bought my copy from a table in the CSO lobby in the early 90's. This copy is a bit out of my price range!!

JU

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Symphony-Orchestra-Archives-Performances/dp/B003QUV6IG/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1522346473&sr=1-4&keywords=chicago+symphony+from+the+archives
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Haydn with Herseth/Abbado/CSO, available on two distinct releases:
Chicago Principal
Abbado/Haydn/Chamber Orchestra of Europe
The Trumpet Concerto seems to be the same recording. The second set seems like an odd release, with 3 1/2 disks of Haydn symphonies and no CSO.

-SK
johntpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those two Haydn releases are the same recording. The story as it goes was that Abbado and the CSO were recording Mahler 7 and finished a half hour early, so they decided to record the Haydn in the remaining time.

JU
Larry Larson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpt wrote:
Yes, those two Haydn releases are the same recording. The story as it goes was that Abbado and the CSO were recording Mahler 7 and finished a half hour early, so they decided to record the Haydn in the remaining time.

JU

Actually John, they had already been scheduled to record the Haydn - however it WAS the same day as some Mahler 7 sessions. I had asked Bud to borrow his Posthorn in A for a performance I was doing of the Mozart "Posthorn" Serenade, so he had me meet him in the basement of Orchestra Hall between sessions. As it was the early '80s, I don't recall whether they had just done the Haydn and were about to do Mahler, or vise-versa. What I DO remember distinctly was Bud walking out of the locker room carrying his posthorn in a black plastic garbage bag wrapped in bubble wrap! I just about lost it!

I do have a cassette (!!!) of Bud doing the Hummel from a WFMT-FM radio broadcast from the '80s, that actually still plays!

What an absolute master at everything he put his musical mind to!
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here if you are still interested....from the radio broadcast...

but it turned off after 10 minutes. You might a second or third browser....not sure what the issue it....
https://pastdaily.com/2015/11/11/sir-georg-solti-and-the-chicago-symphony-opening-of-1983-1984-season-past-daily-mid-week-concert/
dylanlmeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was old enough to have witnessed such playing live!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: