• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modern trumpet mouthpiece similar to Olds 3 rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Modern trumpet mouthpiece similar to Olds 3 rim? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm struggling a bit with coming back from a lip injury and I'm experimenting with mouthpiece rims.

Right now, I have to see what factors can make my life easier during this period and I noticed that downsizing to a mouthpiece with smaller diameter and a wider rim seems to help.

So far, the size and rim of my old Olds 3 cornet mouthpiece seem perfect.

I also have a RS Berkeley / Greg Black "Legends" copy of Clark Terry's Giardinelli mouthpiece that feels really close to the Olds 3 rim contour. But I don't like the backbore, so I'm not using this mouthpiece.

So is there a modern trumpet mouthpiece that's similar to an Olds 3 rim?

P.S.: I'm not considering scanning my Olds 3 rim just yet. I'm looking for a stock mouthpiece that could do the job.

Thank you.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Modern trumpet mouthpiece similar to Olds 3 rim? Reply with quote

I know you say you're not looking at getting it scanned.... might be cheaper to find another one and have it sent away to be cut into a rim and threaded onto some different cups?

Matt Frost is probably one of the cheapest and does great work, as does Jim New and of course Bob Reeves.

I don't have an olds 3, but I have an olds 3c (probably not the same at all) and the rim isn't like anything else in my collection.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into getting getting an Olds 3 trumpet mouthpiece?

There are several up on eBay right now.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
robertmooretruro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What don't you like about the CT copy backbore?
Have you considered an ACB TA1. It is Trent Austin's take on Clark Terry's mouthpiece. I haven't played one but from what I understand it has an improved throat entrance and bigger back bore along with a less flat rim to make it more modern. Maybe call Trent Austin and ask about it.
Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn SN: 38882
GR Paul Tynan 65.4 FL V2 prototype
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertmooretruro wrote:
Have you considered an ACB TA1. It is Trent Austin's take on Clark Terry's mouthpiece. I haven't played one but from what I understand it has an improved throat entrance and bigger back bore along with a less flat rim to make it more modern. Maybe call Trent Austin and ask about it.

I'm pretty sure it's the backbore, but there is a lot of backpressure when I use this mouthpiece.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
robertmooretruro wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the backbore, but there is a lot of backpressure when I use this mouthpiece.

Could just as easily be a gap issue?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
abundrefo wrote:
robertmooretruro wrote:

Maybe. But I have tested it with four different horns in the past and I always feel the same way about it. And, yes, I could just have it cut for sleeves. But there is something about the mouthpieces I cut for sleeves in the past that made them sound different (and that's not about the new gap I get with them). In a mouthpiece cut for sleeves you get a double-layered wall tubing on the shank and I do feel that dissipates a small part of the vibration. At least, that's what I felt.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
TKSop wrote:
abundrefo wrote:
robertmooretruro wrote:

Maybe. But I have tested it with four different horns in the past and I always feel the same way about it. And, yes, I could just have it cut for sleeves. But there is something about the mouthpieces I cut for sleeves in the past that made them sound different (and that's not about the new gap I get with them). In a mouthpiece cut for sleeves you get a double-layered wall tubing on the shank and I do feel that dissipates a small part of the vibration. At least, that's what I felt.

I guess it could be that the shank is slightly oversized and that's creating a gap problem... have you tried measuring the actual gap on any of those horns?

Sure cutting for sleeves can change the feel - but you can always get the sleeve soldered on once you're sure you've got the right one?

(I realise this might be a bit anal for some people to even consider getting into - for me, if a mouthpiece is close enough otherwise, it might be easier and thus make more sense to look into getting it modified so that it works than to find another piece that I liked the rim and cup as well).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: