• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Extras storage for ProTec fligel/trumpet dual case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Extras storage for ProTec fligel/trumpet dual case? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've had the Protec dual case for flugel and trumpet for quite some time now. However one thing I've noted from the beginning is that there seems to be quite a bit of wasted space inside the case where the instruments lie.
Has anyone found a way to make use of all the extra space without endangering their horns?

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Extras storage for ProTec fligel/trumpet dual case? Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
Hi guys,
I've had the Protec dual case for flugel and trumpet for quite some time now. However one thing I've noted from the beginning is that there seems to be quite a bit of wasted space inside the case where the instruments lie.
Has anyone found a way to make use of all the extra space without endangering their horns?

I've used the ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case as my primary gig case for a long time now - well over 10 years anyway. To me, I ha's never been a concern of mine to try to pack everything into a single case. I have the case, which does a great job of protecting the horns, the side pocket, which does a great job of holding a tuner, valve oil, my sound shield, my iPad, my in-ears, etc, and then I use an accessory bag for my trumpet stand, flugel stand, mutes, iPad holders, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

I think that if you try to make use of the extra space in the case, the end result is that you'll wind up damaging your horns unnecessarily. IMO, it would be best to keep that compartment free of anything other than the horns.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what that "other stuff" is, though. I don't see a problem, normally, if you just wrap the other stuff with something like a towel. One thing that's important, though, is that there is no bumping around. Pack your stuff so that it's snug.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice - I'd hate to endanger my horns.
I was just thinking a small pocket or flip-top storage area on the flugel side of the case for putting things that might not fit in the front of the case, like a Snark tuner (which could easily get smashed) for example - there seems to be a lot of empty space where the flugel lies in the case.

Either way I suppose it's a better thought to not put such a large investment as two horns at risk like that.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get yourself a Gator or ProTec mute bag.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
Sounds like good advice - I'd hate to endanger my horns.
I was just thinking a small pocket or flip-top storage area on the flugel side of the case for putting things that might not fit in the front of the case, like a Snark tuner (which could easily get smashed) for example - there seems to be a lot of empty space where the flugel lies in the case.

Either way I suppose it's a better thought to not put such a large investment as two horns at risk like that.

I have a Snark tuner that I carried now and again, and I just kept it in the side pocket of the case without issue. I was using the Snark for a short time immediately after I got my Jupiter 1600i - initially I was having some issues due to the differences in intonation between my Schilke B6 and the 1600i, and I used the Snark to spot check my intonation on gigs during that transition period.

In any case, unless you are letting TSA baggage handlers cart your ProTec combo case, the likelihood of you smashing a Snark tuner is probably pretty low.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: