• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why are trumpets seen as "better" than cornets or

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets are not necessarily "better" than cornets. Cornets are not necessarily "better" than trumpets.

My own opinion, having both instruments....

Trumpet
My '67 Holton Collegiate can play brightly and more pronounced than a cornet. It can blast up towards the Heavens, it can march, it can do jazz, it can do swing, and it can even rock out (well, you know what I mean...). It is sort of a universal "jack of all trades" type of sound, but yet very focused and direct, like a lead instrument. In a nutshell: The trumpet is like the "Fender Stratocaster" of trumpets. It's everywhere, in all genres.

Cornet
My '75 Olds Ambassador (bought off ebay), is very smooth and not as bright as a trumpet. It can "sing" better than a trumpet, if that makes any sense. The cornet is more subtle and more mellow and more laid back than a trumpet. The cornet will do ballads and smokey barroom, slow jazz, type of music with ease.

Added humor... Trumpet screams out the lead vocals just like Janis did:
"{Take it}
Take another little piece of my heart now, baby!
{Oh, break it!}
Break another little bit of my heart, now darling, yeah, c'mon now
{Oh, have a}
Have another little piece of my heart now, baby
You know you got it - wahhhhh!! (scream)"

Added humor #2... Cornet plays a very sweet ballad, singing just like Nat King Cole did:
"Maybe I should have saved those left over dreams
Funny, but here's that rainy day
Here's that rainy day they told me about
And I laughed at the thought that it might turn out this way
Where is that worn out wish that I threw aside
After it brought my lover near
It's funny how love becomes a cold rainy day
Funny, that rainy day is here"

Perhaps this shows the true difference, or perhaps I am not quite right in the head! LOL...
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World War II. Period.

My Uncle played before WWII. He played a King Silvertone cornet. He played very well indeed, from 4th grade on.

My Dad played after WWII. He played a King Super 20. His favorite was Harry James. Swing, big bands, etc., overshadowed the concert band and trumpets became the primary instrument, to this day.

Yes, how do I know why trumpet took over from cornet? I lived it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
World War II. Period.

My Uncle played before WWII. He played a King Silvertone cornet. He played very well indeed, from 4th grade on.

My Dad played after WWII. He played a King Super 20. His favorite was Harry James. Swing, big bands, etc., overshadowed the concert band and trumpets became the primary instrument, to this day.

That describes what happened. The question is why.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
World War II. Period.

That describes what happened. The question is why.

Swing and jazz taking precedent over concert band. Trumpets became "cool," and cornets no longer were. Trumpet production increased. For example, H. N. White heavily advertised its Liberty and Super 20 trumpets, and all the endorsement artists were jazz players, but did not advertise the cornets as much, except for the Silvertone, renamed the Silver Sonic in the late '50's to capitalize on the supersonic jets.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that a lot of well known jazz and big band era 'trumpet players' actually played on cornets, some of them all through their careers. Nobody said they didn't have the right sound, or couldn't cut through a big band. The audiences for the most part had no idea.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Why is trumpet seen as superior to a cornet? Reply with quote

I have played both, though I started on a conn trumpet in 1960, I truthfully didn't know or care much about the difference until college when I was given a Getzen cornet to play in symphonic band. I personally believe that some technique is easier to learn on a cornet than trumpet. Double and triple tonguing for instance seemed easier on the cornet. If you want to read a ringing "non endorsement" for the trumpet go to the Benge trumpet sites and find in there a letter from Herbert Clarke to Eldon Benge. Clarke thought the trumpet was a passing fad and that they were only appropriate in big bands. Someone commenting earlier talked about the trumpet and marching bands, its projection. Both are still valuable and used today. I listen to alot of British Band music, although being an American, I love our style of "balls to the walls" sound and throxos, or guts. I prefer a trumpet sound, but also appreciate a cornet having a definite character of its own.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I began playing (early 1960s), the cornet had already been relegated to the status of a beginner's instrument. I started out on a brand new King Cleveland cornet in 6th grade, and played it into 10th grade. At that point, my younger brother started band, so the cornet became his and I "graduated" to a used Conn 6B trumpet. In high school, very few of us were still playing cornets, since everyone knew that they were for kids who were learning to play. Trumpets were what the real men played...ha ha.

It was a long time before I realized that cornets are the instrument of choice to achieve a certain style and sound, not a stepping stone to playing trumpet. Today, I have both, and the decision on which instrument to play is determined by the music I'm playing. That said, I suppose the common reasons cited for the demise of the cornet in the U.S. are correct - jazz in noisy clubs, dance bands, projection, etc.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
It's interesting that a lot of well known jazz and big band era 'trumpet players' actually played on cornets, some of them all through their careers. Nobody said they didn't have the right sound, or couldn't cut through a big band. The audiences for the most part had no idea.

You are right. I prefer long model American cornet for concert band. But that is not where the marketing was or is, unless you are part of the British-style brass banding community.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Why is trumpet seen as superior to a cornet? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I have played both, though I started on a conn trumpet in 1960, I truthfully didn't know or care much about the difference until college when I was given a Getzen cornet to play in symphonic band. I personally believe that some technique is easier to learn on a cornet than trumpet. Double and triple tonguing for instance seemed easier on the cornet. If you want to read a ringing "non endorsement" for the trumpet go to the Benge trumpet sites and find in there a letter from Herbert Clarke to Eldon Benge. Clarke thought the trumpet was a passing fad and that they were only appropriate in big bands. Someone commenting earlier talked about the trumpet and marching bands, its projection. Both are still valuable and used today. I listen to alot of British Band music, although being an American, I love our style of "balls to the walls" sound and throxos, or guts. I prefer a trumpet sound, but also appreciate a cornet having a definite character of its own.

Pretty sure that letter Clarke wrote to Benge was during a period where trumpets were built considerably differently than pro level cornets. I might be mistaken, hopefully someone here will know?

Brad
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cornet vs. Trumpet: Pre-Hybridization Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
blbaumgarn wrote:

Pretty sure that letter Clarke wrote to Benge was during a period where trumpets were built considerably differently than pro level cornets. I might be mistaken, hopefully someone here will know?

Brad

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that letter was written in 1921, before the merger/hybridization of the trumpet & cornet was complete.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infamous Clarke letter was dated Jan. 13, 1921.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are trumpets seen AS "better" than cornets

I can't answer THAT question. However I can answer

Quote:
Why are trumpets seen "better" than cornets

Trumpets can be seen better because they are longer and thus more visible
BardoXV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are trumpets seen as "better" than cornets Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I have never experienced this. I think most people see a cornet and think it is a trumpet.

I have been watching auctions lately, and most auctioneers think that anything with a bell is a trumpet. I went to one auction that had a trumpet listed and it turned out to be half of a trombone, the part with the bell and not the slide.

Silver American Standard, Vega, King Liberty, Beuscher TrueTone.
BardoXV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:

or perhaps I am not quite right in the head! LOL...

I think that applies to anyone who plays a musical instrument.

Q. How do you improve the aerodynamics of a trumpet players vehicle?

A. Take the pizza delivery sign off the roof.

Silver American Standard, Vega, King Liberty, Beuscher TrueTone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: