• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences in Lead pipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Differences in Lead pipes Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Yamaha 6335. The original lead pipe was switched and now has a Bach #7 leadpipe. In addition, there is a second brace near tuning slide (similare to a Bach). I'm not the tech savvy to understand the differences between the lead pipes (I've tried researching on-line and gave up). Nor do I understand how the Bach #7 leadpipe and the second brace changes the playability and sound of the 6335 from its original configuration. It sounds great and I love playing the horn. For about $250-300 I could have it changed back to original, but really no need to. Thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oldtrumpetguy

Harrelson Summit
Yamaha 6335 (modified)
Reeves 40 S
Reeves 40 ES
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the way it plays, leave it alone.
https://yourbrass.com/
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 6335 pipe is similar to a standard Bach 25 pipe. I actually have a 6335 lead pipe tube on my Bach trumpet, and other than the Yamaha pipe being gold brass, they really feel similar. The Bach 7 pipe is a bigger blow and sounds broader than the standard Bach pipe. I doubt the extra brace makes much difference. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gord-o wrote:
The original 6335 pipe is similar to a standard Bach 25 pipe. I actually have a 6335 lead pipe tube on my Bach trumpet, and other than the Yamaha pipe being gold brass, they really feel similar. The Bach 7 pipe is a bigger blow and sounds broader than the standard Bach pipe. I doubt the extra brace makes much difference. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

I'd be more surprised if the extra brace didn't make a difference...

Either way though, if it ain't broke don't fix it - we certainly agree on that.
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in Lead pipes Reply with quote

don't change anything

Oldtrumpetguy wrote:
It sounds great and I love playing the horn. For about $250-300 I could have it changed back to original, but really no need to. Thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oldtrumpetguy

Harrelson Summit
Yamaha 6335 (modified)
Reeves 40 S
Reeves 40 ES
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Differences in leadpipes Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe more of what I'm looking for is an answer to the question of how does the different leadpipe and the extra brace change the way the horn feels? I'm not sure how to most accurately answer this question as I'm trying to sell it currently. The best I can tell is that the Bach leadpipe opens up the horn more and the brace may help with projection of the sound. Would that be accurate?

I have played another 6335 and to my recollection, comparing the two, the current mods reflect what I've stated above. So, I guess I answered my own question.

Thanks again for the responses.
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brace placement or adding/removing braces can make a huge difference. If it works well though, I wouldn't change anything either.
Oldtrumpetguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The added brace makes it a little more like the YTR 8335 in terms of having the two braces on tuning crook. I agree with you all. It works fine. No need to change it. It is currently my back-up horn. But, sadly, need to sell to buy new electrical equipment that went bad this past week. At first I floated it out there. But now it needs a new home.
Reeves 40 ES 692 SL
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a dark art, but to generalise, braces tend to make a horn more rigid in it's slotting than if they weren't there, all else being the same.

Of course they add a bit of weight too, which can change the projection and "zing" of the sound.

However it really is hard to judge what a brace does as usually the leadpipe is different from a braceless version of a horn to a braced version, as all the specs add up to the feeling and sound the maker was trying for.

The Bach #7 leadpipe is a more open feel I would think than the original one.

It would be interesting to test an original Yam and Bach with your frankenhorn, and see which one you preferred.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the bracing has an effect on intonation on certain notes. Then again, the braces don't serve their purpose if the leadpipe and/or tubing lengths or taper are off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: