• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shires trumpets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Shires trumpets Reply with quote

Can anyone speak to quality of Shires trumpets and if so, which models are most suitable for big band?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None better in terms of quality craftsmanship. For big band playing, check out the Severinsen "Destino" model.

Dave Hickman
HCarlHess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the AZ B-flat (as does Mr. Hickman, I believe), and it is the most versatile horn I've ever played. It has a huge spectrum of tonal colors and, wait for it - plays in tune.

I played Bach trumpets for many years and the AZ is everything I loved about Bach's without the things I didn't so much love.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shires trumpets are of the highest quality. I've owned Shires Bb, C and Eb/D trumpets, and played most of the Shires models at ITG this year. Fantastic horns.

As for which is most suitable for big band playing, there are a number that could work for you. It really depends on your needs as a player. As a starting point, you might consider the Destino III as mentioned by Mr. Hickman, or the B, BLW or CVLA ("Vintage Los Angeles") models. Having said that, my favorite Shires models are the AF and the CVP. Very different horns, but both are plenty versatile (for me) for big band playing.

If you look hard enough you'll probably find just about every Shires model represented in one big band or another based on the needs of the individual players, much as you'll see Bach 37, 43, 43LT, 72LT all being used in similar settings by players with different needs.

Happy hunting!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specific vintage horns that influenced the design of the CVLA series?
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bare brass BLW is the best lead horn I've ever played. Try one if you can.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shires Severinsen Destino III, narrow, has great valves sounds mellow when played easy but can really sizzle when you push it. Not to mention the build quality and at the time out cost a Bach by about $1500 but I don't regret spending the money and Sam was a great help. I think they are having a factory day some time soon, go if you can , I'm going to try, I'm dying to try that new CVLA with the 0.465 bore.

Dave
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate

Last edited by dcjway on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing shires for the past 2 years and couldn't be happier. I'm primarily a classical player, but I would probably lean towards the
Doc Severinsen Destino III if I was looking for a Jazz or big band horn.

I think you'll be very impressed if you have a chance to try these horns. Each Shires model that I've tried, which is quite a few, has played extremely well. They all have very quick response and play far more in tune than the Bach instruments from which I switched.

Good luck, and have fun!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
DizzyChrizzy01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Destino III and a BLW and play all my big band (lead) stuff on the BLW. Superb projection, nice sound, fast response.

I currently have a CLW and a CVLA-L here to try.

All four would be suitable to play in a big band. It's a kind of shoe size thing I guess.

Shires are top notch.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from Shires a couple days ago. I am 67 and was asking about the smaller bore horns. They recommended the medium bore Destino III, and the LA horn in medium. I also think their CMW, with different leadpipe and french bead was one they mentioned. If I had the money, even though I just picked up again after 17 years at 67, I would order a Shires immediately. Good Luck
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Shires I have seen and played is impeccably put together, and they all play very well. If I had a big budget for a new horn, Shires would be right at or near the top of my list.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Shires get bought out recently? Or perhaps they're still in the process of that? Or maybe I'm getting my rumors mixed up.

A lot of products change design/materials/quality after a buyout, so I'm curious about that with Shires, if it is indeed a factor.

How many of you that are currently playing have a newer/older horn, etc.?

I've been playing the same Bach 37 for the last 37 years. (See what I did there?) I think it might be time to declare victory on the original $425 investment, and move on to a new horn. I also have a XO 1600i, but I feel like it's pretty one-dimensional, leaning quite strongly to the commercial side, and don't use it for anything that doesn't want to be quite bright sounding. That leaves me wanting a really good 'legit' horn in Bb.

I'm even considering one of the new Yamaha Xeno II's, but don't tell my horn, it may get offended in the interim.
HCarlHess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Didn't Shires get bought out recently? Or perhaps they're still in the process of that? Or maybe I'm getting my rumors mixed up.

A lot of products change design/materials/quality after a buyout, so I'm curious about that with Shires, if it is indeed a factor.

How many of you that are currently playing have a newer/older horn, etc.?

I've been playing the same Bach 37 for the last 37 years. (See what I did there?) I think it might be time to declare victory on the original $425 investment, and move on to a new horn. I also have a XO 1600i, but I feel like it's pretty one-dimensional, leaning quite strongly to the commercial side, and don't use it for anything that doesn't want to be quite bright sounding. That leaves me wanting a really good 'legit' horn in Bb.

I'm even considering one of the new Yamaha Xeno II's, but don't tell my horn, it may get offended in the interim.

I just bought their AZ model Bb and it's the best horn I've ever played. I can't speak to what they were before the sale to Eastman.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Shires was purchased by the Eastman Music Company. Steve Shires had been working with Eastman for some time beforehand helping Eastman design their own line of trumpets.

I've owned Shires trumpets made before Eastman purchased Shires, and trumpets made after the purchase. I haven't noticed any change in quality. Great horns.
hndrsn12b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Shires CLW Trumpet Reply with quote

I am a senior player and currently play a Bach Strad LT72 * trumpet which is almost 50 years old. I primarily play in church. The horn is in great condition but starting to show its age. Since I recently retired I decided to treat myself with a new horn. I have tried a new Bach Strad LT commercial which was a beautiful horn but just didn’t fit me. To me the sound wasn’t as good as my old Strad. I then got a Shires CLW. This is a barn burner! It will peal the paint off the walls (in a good way). The sound is amazing and much more brighter and powerful than my Strad. My LT Strad has a more mellower sound than the Shires. This horn is great for solos when you want to wake up the sleeping members and short out hearing aids! Lol. This is a keeper..
deleted_user_34face8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by deleted_user_34face8 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
Does anyone know the specific vintage horns that influenced the design of the CVLA series?

The CVLA horns are inspired by vintage Benges.
Don Low

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, that is beautifully done. You make the Shires sing.

I have a new Destino III for sale in the marketplace for about $1,000 under cost if anyone is interested.
Getzen Eterna 896 Flugel
Schilke HC1
Schilke X3
Wild Thing
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we are continuing an older thread. I have one of the earliest Shires C trumpets and I like it so much, I went back in March 2020 to get a Bb. I'm also a senior and I was looking for a horn easier to fill. I corresponded online with Alex so they had an idea what I should try when I went to the showroom. I tried many horns without knowing what they were, Alex listened, and I bought a Severinson Destino III in medium bore (their smallest). It's terrific, exactly what I wanted. I also received a tour of the factory - great fun. Highly recommended.

My understanding of the Eastman question, based on what they said at the tour, is that the top of the line Shires trumpets are fully made in their Massachusetts factory. Only the 'lesser' models are shipped in to be assembled there and sold under the Eastman name. If that's wrong, let me know please.

Note: I play the jazz chair in big bands, so my goal is not to peel paint. I wouldn't even know if this horn could.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a chance to try the C series compared to the Destino?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: