• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkutcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: New Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I just bought an Austin Winds 460LT and LOVE it. I've been playing on a Bach 3C for my entire trumpet playing career. What might be a good match for this horn? Or where to start? Thanks!
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just PMed you about some mouthpieces I have for sale.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Mouthpiece Reply with quote

rkutcher wrote:
I just bought an Austin Winds 460LT and LOVE it. I've been playing on a Bach 3C for my entire trumpet playing career. What might be a good match for this horn? Or where to start? Thanks!

The system is you, the mouthpiece and the horn (which constitute a lot of parameters). I would ask yourself if there is something unsatisfactory with the combination of the new horn and your long accustomed mouthpiece.
I had this problem bfore. When I got a new horn, I felt I was not getting enough advantage of the openness of the new horn, and I wanted the mouthpiece to be more open. I worked it out with little changes to throat and backbore, moving eventually from a standard 1.5 C to a 1.5 C with a 26 throat and finally to a 1.5C Symphonic (26 throat, 24 backbore). That seems to be just about right. (On my backup horn, I had to adjust the gap to find the sweet spot.)
You might also look at adjusting the gap. It may be that that mouthpiece/horn/player relationship requires a different gap with the new horn.
I would start with small steps and see how it goes.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: