• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The gig from hell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Leaving a gig because of massive bar brawl, heading towards the stage? Not me. I have announced, on mike, where the fight was, and warned the ladies in harm's way which way to move. This in a situation where there were no bouncers, due to some scheduling conflict.

Just to clarify: I'm not suggesting grabbing my stuff and running out the back door without trying to help (I've never been at a gig that degenerated into a semi-riot, luckily), I'm saying that I might not finish a Blues Brothers country bar scene chicken-wire-around-the-stage gig where that happened, unless the situation was resolved and the place got back to "normal."

Brad
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one last night.

First, lots of middle aged single women, usually a good thing for us. After the 2nd wine spritzer, we are having fun, they are on the dance floor and the tip jar does quite well.

Well, somebody's divorce was final and it was the wounded gazelle syndrome, complete with several, several rounds of tequila shots.

2nd set, one woman takes a header right into the guy next to me's horn stand. Big dent in his flugel bell, and took us a few minutes to get the stand shank out of his C trumpet bell.

3rd set, another woman knocks over the bass players stand, which knocks over the board, so a 15 minute delay getting everything back up and running.

And as the coup de grace, with 10 minutes left in the 4th set the skies open up and the bottom falls out, and we are playing outside. First time playing with our 6 grand Bose setup, and we are pulling out tarps trying to just cover everything up.

I was at the band leaders' house until 2AM, drying off equipment.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Had one last night.

First, lots of middle aged single women, usually a good thing for us. After the 2nd wine spritzer, we are having fun, they are on the dance floor and the tip jar does quite well.

Well, somebody's divorce was final and it was the wounded gazelle syndrome, complete with several, several rounds of tequila shots.

2nd set, one woman takes a header right into the guy next to me's horn stand. Big dent in his flugel bell, and took us a few minutes to get the stand shank out of his C trumpet bell.

3rd set, another woman knocks over the bass players stand, which knocks over the board, so a 15 minute delay getting everything back up and running.

And as the coup de grace, with 10 minutes left in the 4th set the skies open up and the bottom falls out, and we are playing outside. First time playing with our 6 grand Bose setup, and we are pulling out tarps trying to just cover everything up.

I was at the band leaders' house until 2AM, drying off equipment.

YIKES. Sometimes playing for a place full of drunk women is kinda entertaining, but throw in equipment damage, not so much!

I do have to ask though, just out of curiosity, a C trumpet? Doesn't exactly sound like the sort of gig that might call for a C, maybe he just prefers it to a Bb?
I do hope his flugel and C and the PA didn't get too badly damaged though.

Brad
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent GFH story...

Last night, outdoor big band gig in Texas. At a German biergarten of all places. Start time temperature: 103 degrees. Halfway through the show, cool 98 degrees. Packing up afterward, a chilly 90. Not one hint of a breeze the entire time.

I'm still drinking water by the bucketful 12 hours later.
Melissa P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so fun to read the notes from musicians about their lives. I am an avid music lover and I played as a teenager. Did anyone here start playing an instrument later in life? Like age 58? Do you think it is possible?
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa P wrote:
It is so fun to read the notes from musicians about their lives. I am an avid music lover and I played as a teenager. Did anyone here start playing an instrument later in life? Like age 58? Do you think it is possible?

Hello melissa,
Yes of course it is possible, a lot of us in here are come backers after long layoffs, I stopped playing for 25 years out of frustration, barely able to play high C, but after some careful reading and web browsing i have found a better way to play for me. High C is nothing now, check out the different forums and see what resonates with you, i love the Bill Adam approach to playing, you may too. good luck. Find a good teacher to jump start. You can do it online, Matt Anklan is a member here, he would be a good person to contact, if claude gordon resonates, contact John Mohan, another member here. You can do it.

regards,

tom
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just a rehearsal from hell.

if i didn't have to haul my stand and Light i would have
packed up and left at the break

instead i suffered away on the jazz chair that had 1 solo all night

it's on my Just Say NO list
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
i just a rehearsal from hell.

if i didn't have to haul my stand and Light i would have
packed up and left at the break

instead i suffered away on the jazz chair that had 1 solo all night

it's on my Just Say NO list

Was it the lack of solos that made the night bad, or were there other issues?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big band was just plain turrible

corny charts
high school level players
bad singer
guitar and piano playing at the same time
turrible solists

when the leader called me he said that it was a fantastic band working up some super hard charts and the young guy that i was subbing for would be a name not to forget.............. he said the jazz chair was really hard etc........

:cue trumpet with solotone
wah, wah, wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh

i hesitated as i think that i may have done the band before when they rehearsed at the Union but since it closed and they were now close i said yes. shouda said NO

lamius maximus
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: