• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Preparing for a Performance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Preparing for a Performance Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to post this question so I decided on the lounge!

I was wondering how you all prepare for a performance. How does your practice routine change the days leading up to the performance? What do you do the day of the performance? How do you warm up minutes before a performance? Any feedback, stories, advice and personal routines are appreciated
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably in the minority here, but: nothing. I think it may in part have to do with what the performance is; an important recital or audition is probably different than a regular weekly gig.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I'm probably in the minority here, but: nothing. I think it may in part have to do with what the performance is; an important recital or audition is probably different than a regular weekly gig.

Brad

+1

If I don't know it by the time of the performance, it doesn't do any good to run the part. I might double check a rhythm or run, but normally not.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the OP could explain in a bit more detail exactly what the performance in question is, we might have some suggestions.

I do agree with LittleRusty, last minute make-up practice is probably going to do as much harm as good. Rest, hydration and RELAXATION is probably going to help as much as anything, especially relaxation. One of the best college semester solos I ever did was one where I had the flu. Physically that makes no sense at all, but I was so relaxed/I-don't-give-a-______, the solo actually went well.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point, as a director I never believe in running a pre-concert rehearsal that went over all the numbers. Again I might hit some of the known trouble spots, but I would rather have the group fresh for performance. Not rehearsal.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually taper my practice effort a day or two before the performance so I'll feel fresh in the performance, especially if the rehearsals have been strenuous. If there are any tricky spots in the book, I'll work those excerpts at different tempos (slow/at expected tempo/fast), but I won't run through the entire book. Otherwise, I hit the usual items—sound production, technique, repertoire—but spend less time working each thing than I usually would so I'll feel fresh in the performance.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: