• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

FWIW, I think my endurance is back on track at least for now. Resting as much as I practice at home as well as intelligent pacing has been key to making my Performance chops almost youthful again (tongue in cheek). I had a "convention" type performance today that began with a long rehearsal beginning at 3pm backing several vocal groups during their respective rehearsals and a long orchestra rehearsal touching problem areas. After a supper break around 5:30pm, a quick warmup and then a performance beginning at 6:45 and finishing about 9:45, it was a very long day. Following all of the relevant advice including taking advantage of every opportunity to get the horn away from my face, I finished as strong as I started. A quick warm-down, horn clean up and drive home and I feel very good about the climb back up to gaining the endurance I needed for this. Many thanks to all on TH for the advice and sharing. The challenge, at least for now will be maintaining what I seem to have recovered, especially since I don't get marathons like this very often.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Angiemac811

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s so hard to get that back. I’m struggling with getting mine back.
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations cbtj51. That's quite an accomplishment. Very encouraging testimony. Thx for sharing.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just saw the original post, how long into your comeback did it take to reach this point?
Tsox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way that I stay in shape on my horn between sporadic performances of various difficulty levels is to keep a mouthpiece in my car and do buzzing as I am driving. It helps to get in more lip time on days that I may not be able to practice like I want. There are also some other isometric exercises “The Pencil Method” that can help keep your chops strong when you can’t put the horn on your face.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comebackcornet wrote:
So I just saw the original post, how long into your comeback did it take to reach this point?

I was about 3 years into my comeback when I wrote the post. My experiences and challenges have been all over the map since I picked up my horn again. I practiced way too long and way too hard in the beginning and found that my endurance was actually suffering from overwork. Once I understood that, I began practicing much smarter, breaking my daily sessions up and resting a good bit between. Practicing at much softer volumes and really concentrating on proper warmup and taking a more conservative approach to stretching my abilities has been key. I still find a need to check myself often to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

Your experience may vary.

Best wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing about 2 months short of 2 years after a 50+ year hiatus. I'm over 80 now but played from age 16 to 28 and I could play 2- 3 hour gigs easily back then. But not so today. For the first 6 months of my comeback it was a real effort to play 20 minutes before losing lip vibration.
I practice 90 minutes each morning with appropriate rest breaks and I play tunes I like for an hour in the afternoon. That 20 minutes has now expanded to a full hour of about 10 to 12 songs with the only rest being the length of time it takes to change sheet music on my stand and do a quick run through the piece I am about to play. It wasn't that long ago that 5 or 6 songs was the limit.
Now on band practice nights I do find playing not so great the next day and my afternoon playing is often reduced to 7 or 8 songs, sometimes less. But I usually bounce back the next day. I am shooting for greater endurance but chop muscles are weaker with age, so even with the daily pencil exercise and 2 octave lip slurs, and emphasis on proper posture and breathing ( daily ) it is taking a long time. But I will get there eventually. I may never have the endurance for a 2 hour gig but I am sure going to give it the old college try...ha ha .
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
DutyBugler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

I am finding that short sessions throuout the day are better for me. But that is not easy to do for those of us with regular jobs. I used to keep a pocket trumpet in the car for lunch break. Playing every day seems to be the most important thing. I need to reduce the number of dead days.
DutyBugler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Endurance Reply with quote

I was at orchestra rehearsal last week and I took over the first part. I was nailing it. Great tone, intonation, clean articulation, and all on a pretty demanding piece with a lot of repetition on As, and Bs above the staff and little rest. I was thinking “I’m back!”. Then after a half hour of steady rehearsing the tank went from full to empty in about 8 measures.

I was done (at least on the first part) for the night.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance Reply with quote

DutyBugler wrote:
I was at orchestra rehearsal last week and I took over the first part. I was nailing it. Great tone, intonation, clean articulation, and all on a pretty demanding piece with a lot of repetition on As, and Bs above the staff and little rest. I was thinking “I’m back!”. Then after a half hour of steady rehearsing the tank went from full to empty in about 8 measures.

don't you hate that, arrgh!
Wick 2BFL
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance Reply with quote

DutyBugler wrote:

Oh, yeah, it's happened to me more than once.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others, I too am a comeback player. I play about a half hour each day, running through various pieces in my collection. Then I try working on my high range by playing along to pop/rock songs like "Saturday In The Park", "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is", by Chicago and also "Vehicle" by The Ides of March. I can't play Bill Chase stuff or Maynard Ferguson stuff, as it's way WAY too high up into the heavens!

Monday nights, I play 2nd chair trumpet with the Shriners "Million Dollar Band" here in town, and we practice for roughly an hour. After that, I'm totally shot and need to recover. What we try to save for last is the popular Disney tune "It's A Small World" which is also a Shriners Hospital favorite for all the children. At the very end of it, is a pair of tied whole notes with a crescendo. 1st trumpet (my buddy Steve) hits the high C (above the staff), and me - 2nd trumpet, I hit the high G (on top of the staff), and we hold it like that for an 8 count, increasing our volume. It's right at the end of the popular tune where it goes, "It's a small world after all. It's a... small... world... af--ter... ALLLLLLLLLLL..." And that's it - we're done and almost feel like we blew our lips out!

But I guess slow and steady practice each and every day, will gradually build your endurance back up. It takes time and patience. If I can do it, anybody can do it!
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has really helped me is lip slurs (From Schlossberg's book). I'll be doing some today since I haven't had the horn out since last Sunday. However, the Wedge mouthpiece gives me at least another half hour. I play a size 5CG. Dr Dave made me one that has added to the lower half (of the mp) to help with my receding jaw and overbite. This is for my trumpet and high C is no problem at all for me and I have not done a good job in keeping my chops up. I can hit E above when my chops are in good shape. I do have to admit that I rarely play anything that's above high C though. Also, I can't play higher than high Bb on my cornet. Rather than range, I place a greater importance on tone and endurance with tone being priority one. YMMV
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, lip slurs for sure. They really work the muscles necessary for endurance.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I played this year's version of the OP marathon this past Thursday and found it relatively easy. Many things have become the norm in my daily practice and I believe, have helped me to have the endurance necessary to make a long playing day much easier:

My daily warm-up has evolved to include Eric Bolvin's "Schlossberg Warm-up" segueing into Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities (one and sometimes 2 Sections per session) using a drone and metronome and varying my volume throughout. This daily warm-up takes between 1/2 hour and 45 minutes. This is the minimum routine that I do everyday, even when traveling (with Silent Brass and headphones in play when in hotels).

Minimum 1/2 hour break then technical exercises and practice of music pieces for upcoming and current performances, sometimes lasting a couple of hours with breaks throughout. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for rehearsals either, as that minimizes overworking, at least for me.

Adhearing to a DAILY practice routine has made all of the difference in making my playing experience consistent and helping me to recognize aberrations in my playing. Endurance issues seem to have gone to the wayside, at least for the performance requirements that I experience these days. I am always open to making any necessary changes in routine that are beneficial to the end results.

Kindest regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: