• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pedals - Systematic Approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Pedals - Systematic Approach Reply with quote

Mainly out of interest in what others are doing and to get some discussion going, how far down do people go in the part 1 excercises of systematic approach?

Using #2 as an example, i tend to get down around double pedal C most days, which feels like a good workout of the blowing muscles. Has anyone experienced any particular benefit/detriment to their playing by going lower?

Interested in your comments
Cheers
EricV
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question.

To tell you the truth, my intonation is so flat from pedal C and below, I'm really not sure what concert pitch I am playing. However, according to the fingering, I play down to F below pedal C in the exercise. However, in addition to the notes in the arpeggios, I usually try to play the lowest pedal notes that I can reach and, as I say, I really don't know what notes they are.

My impression is that in playing the arpeggios in the exercise, most of the benefit comes from playing only down to A below pedal C. As near as I can tell, I don't get any benefit from playing any lower than that. Perhaps that is because I am not very good below an A below pedal C.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a comeback player (from woodwinds), I have a double C although my practical top range is an E above high C and I worked out of Maggio's style, which incorporates pedals considerably. I realize some just don't like pedals and don't believe they help and to each his own. But for me, pedals helped significantly.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"While I play to third pedal C, for the purpose of development it is not necessary to go any lower than second pedal C (two octaves below low C), because nothing further develops from this point."

Bill Knevitt
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One should work their way down to the point where they can take the Part One exercises down to Double Pedal C. For some this will happen very quickly. Others will take several months of more to get to where they can take them down that low.

Claude felt that going beyond Double Pedal C really didn't hold any benefits, and I agree. In fact, I had a bad thing happen back when I was a little over-enthusiastic and taking the Part One exercises down to Triple Pedal C.

It happened when I was playing for Disney's Der Glöckner von Notre Dame (Hunchback) at the big Theater am Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. After the last show of the day I'd often go up to the 7th Floor Orchestra Rehearsal Hall and do the Systematic Approach Part One and Part Two exercises. I was doing a lot of playing at the time because in addition to the full schedule of Hunchback shows, we had a children's musical called Emil und die Detektive playing concurrently at the theater (10 am shows on Saturday and Sunday, evening shows on the Monday night when the theater was normally dark, Emil replacing Hunchback on the Tuesday night, and Emil matinees through out the week). I managed to get hired to play on that show as well, so I was playing 13 shows a week, and the Emil show was actually a pretty heavy book (an amazing number of high notes in it for a children's musical set in the late 1920's).

One night after the shows as I was doing my Part One exercises and sustaining something around a G or Gb below Double Pedal C, all of a sudden I felt what felt like a paper cut occur on my lip. The left side of my top lip had split open a little bit right on the edge of the callus where the inner edge of the mouthpiece contacts the lip! Panic city!!!! Basically, my lips were vibrating violently enough on that ultra low not that the callus gave way and split. I put the horn away, drove home, maybe I put some vitamin E on it (can't remember now) and went to bed hoping for the best. The next day I very carefully warmed up and played the shows as easy and carefully as I could, and all turned out okay - the cut had healed up enough in the night that it held and did not become a chronic problem.

I sure learned my lesson from that incident! I had suffered through a much worse case of a cut lip while playing in the heavy duty bands of the Los Angeles Jazz Workshop in the 80's. Every time I played a rehearsal my lip split open again. It was agonizing and it took about 6 weeks before it finally healed. John Thomas went through a similar thing when he was playing lead on one of the big bands - I think the Buddy Rich band. Months of agony that NOBODY wants to go through.

So stay away from the extreme pedal notes (the ones below Double Pedal C) especially if you are doing a lot of playing and have calluses built up.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, all interesting and helpful.

Cheers,
EricV
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trash talk and personal attacks split out.

Grow up.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
Trash talk and personal attacks split out.

Grow up.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: