• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pet peeve: poor instrument hygiene

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazztptplyr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Pet peeve: poor instrument hygiene Reply with quote

As a teacher, I make sure that my students, at a minimum, clean their instruments twice a year. I know they do this because we set aside several days post-concert to do it in class.

However, time and again, I am appalled whenever I try friends' horns, buy horns off of other people, etc, and find poorly maintained equipment. The first thing I do when I acquire a new horn is to give it a bath and then lubricate it up to my standards. I understand some people have multiple horns and some sit for a while, but I would think it would be common courtesy to clean an instrument before selling.

I think we on TH should try to uphold a standard of care in buying and selling and strive to ensure that we teach that ethic to our students and colleagues!

*Stepping off soapbox*

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a modern horn off eBay one time that was so disgusting I couldn't even bring myself to even touch it. I brought it immediately to the shop for a full in-and-out cleaning.

Revolting.

Clean your horn! It is so easy!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently bought a used Strad, and it was both bone dry, and very dirty. It also has some minor damage, so it's getting ready to go to my tech, who will do a once-over on the whole thing, which includes a sonic cleaning.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeve: poor instrument hygiene Reply with quote

jazztptplyr wrote:
As a teacher, I make sure that my students, at a minimum, clean their instruments twice a year. I know they do this because we set aside several days post-concert to do it in class.

However, time and again, I am appalled whenever I try friends' horns, buy horns off of other people, etc, and find poorly maintained equipment. The first thing I do when I acquire a new horn is to give it a bath and then lubricate it up to my standards. I understand some people have multiple horns and some sit for a while, but I would think it would be common courtesy to clean an instrument before selling.

I think we on TH should try to uphold a standard of care in buying and selling and strive to ensure that we teach that ethic to our students and colleagues!

*Stepping off soapbox*

I have gotten to the point where everything I buy I have to include (in my purchase expense) a planned sonic clean Mouthpiece are always sterilized and scrubbed before I do anything with them. It amazes me that a $300 mouthpiece is maintained so poorly, and the reason I am told it was sold was that it wasn't "working for me" anymore. A good clean would have likely solved the issue. But, if you want to keep selling me expensive equipment at significant discounts because you fail to clean them and they do not work well anymore for you, I'm happy to restore the performance with a cleaning and pass on to one of my less fortunate students at a discount.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, I used to change my own oil and the simpler mechanical stuff on my old beater cars. Today I'm completely out of my element there, but the monthly trumpet soak/clean and the every 100-mile bike chain clean/gear and brake adjustments are my new forms of simple mechanic therapy.

OTOH, I guess maybe a lot of people who end up selling horns are doing it because they didn't like them or play them much...so I wouldn't expect a lot of TLC on them.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I've got a medium sized ultrasonic cleaner and a larger one, the larger one may be capable of cleaning a whole horn with the slides removed, with only the bell sticking out .... wonder if I should hang onto that baby (it's for sale on Ebay right now).
LargoBone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my classmates set aside an HOUR a year to clean out their horns...some of those things are disgusting. Some of them use the same horn for marching band and everything and never bother to give it a bath or snake it or anything! I have several horns now so not all of them get cleaned every couple of months but all at least once a year and some of them don't even get played in that time.
Regiment Bugle for scout camp-Bach 5C
jazztptplyr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Hm, I've got a medium sized ultrasonic cleaner and a larger one, the larger one may be capable of cleaning a whole horn with the slides removed, with only the bell sticking out .... wonder if I should hang onto that baby (it's for sale on Ebay right now).

What are the dimensions? I've been thinking of buying one for myself to take my cleaning to the next level... Post a link, I'll take a look.
strangedejavu506

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I religiously keep my horns clean but I was amazed in college how many people would eat, drink, chew gum etc all while playing. My first Bach strad had a redo lupus amount of rot from similar abuse. I ended up replacing the lead pipe because it had pinhole leaks. i now clean my horns religiously about every month or so even if they are not played frequently. Just recently we got a shop that does ultrasonic cleaning and I think I am going to start adding this to my routine once a year to get the crap off it that I cannot get.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztptplyr wrote:

What are the dimensions? I've been thinking of buying one for myself to take my cleaning to the next level... Post a link, I'll take a look.

Here it is ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cole-Parmer-8895-52-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heat-Timer-Degas-Settings-/132227472327?hash=item1ec95f1bc7

Feel free to make an offer, offering 30% lower price pretty routinely gets accepted with us - I'd be happy to see it going to a fellow trumpeter.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my young students I suggest they rinse out their mouthpiece everyday and their tuning slide once a week. No snakes or anything like that, just rinse them out in a sink with fresh water. Between that and oiling the valves daily, (one at a time!) these little steps keep the instrument in satisfactory shape for the first year or two. As they get older and start playing more we get more involved, but these simple steps early on work well.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeve: poor instrument hygiene Reply with quote

jazztptplyr wrote:

*Stepping off soapbox*

Well, this is part of the reason I make a living doing repair. People think you pick up the trumpet, play it, then put it away in the case until next time. No cleaning, oil, grease or other thought required. And except for an interested minority of players, that probably won't change.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my horns very clean, but one another comes I usually play it a little with the mouthpiece that came with it before I clean it. I'm not to worried about what may be lurking
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found interesting is that the horns I play more often seem to stay cleaner - just did my half-yearly clean on my A6T cornet, which I play at the very least two hours per week and usually about 5 - hardly a bit of gunk in it.

On the other hand, some of my trumpets that I play more rarely seem to be dirtier when I clean them.

Perhaps I'm blowing the crud out of the cornet with more use...

But to agree with some posters here, I'm amazed and disgusted at what some people do to their horns - potato chips and coke 2 minutes before playing....yuk.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've heard that Mr. Schilke walked around the shop with a leather "holster" on his belt that held a toothbrush. (I visited the old Schilke location on Wabash MANY times, only saw Mr. Schilke a few times, so I don't recall seeing that, but that's what I've heard).

I agree that students' horns (and many adults') are often full of disgusting junk, I've seen in lessons. I've even made copies of Don Herman's very detailed instructions on how to clean a horn and given it to kids, but most never do it.

Brad
jerikfp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more with cleanliness...
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once bought a used Yamaha 2335 off eBay.

After the first blow I thought I wasted my money. Sounded very restricted and thin.

Took the tuning slide out to check for red rot. HALF of the lead pipe was full of old gunk.

Cleaned the whole instrument and played it. Now it plays like a charm and sound great. More like a pro horn.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a new (1955) horn, and took it to The Guy in Anaheim*, who gave it a thorough servicing, including an acid bath, and a couple of hours of talk about proper maintenance. He was happy to hear that I'd been to the Navy School of Music, and had maintained their regimen (clean your horn at leastevery month, more if you play it a lot) of maintenance on my horns. Just cleaning and proper alignment brought that horn from a 3 to about an 8 (more would require replacing parts, which is not in the budget right now).
What bugs me is why people don't maintain. It takes very little time, and is worth every minute spent.
*Those who know, know.
jerikfp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it either but I'm OCD on cleanliness with everything. Cars, house, etc.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Pet Peeve Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have gotten into the habit of swabbing my leadpipe out after I have played. After having to replace leadpipes due to red rot, I though it might be a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: