• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon and Trombone Mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Claude Gordon and Trombone Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Just wondering what Claude had to say about trombone mouthpieces?
I'm considering picking up a PBone to branch out a bit, and I've heard they work best with a proper (metal) mouthpiece. Looking briefly at some of those, it made me wonder whether what Claude wrote about trumpet mouthpiece matters at all with Trombone?

Anyone play or teach Trombone to any of their students? If so, what do you normally suggest mouthpiece-wise for beginners?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Claude Gordon and Trombone Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I'm considering picking up a PBone to branch out a bit, and I've heard they work best with a proper (metal) mouthpiece. Looking briefly at some of those, it made me wonder whether what Claude wrote about trumpet mouthpiece matters at all with Trombone?

Anyone play or teach Trombone to any of their students? If so, what do you normally suggest mouthpiece-wise for beginners?

Just get a normal, medium sized trombone mouthpiece and you'll be fine. Perhaps a little smaller in diameter than average, given that you are used to playing a much smaller trumpet sized mouthpiece.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Claude Gordon and Trombone Mouthpieces Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Just get a normal, medium sized trombone mouthpiece and you'll be fine. Perhaps a little smaller in diameter than average, given that you are used to playing a much smaller trumpet sized mouthpiece.

Cheers, John. I've order my PBone, and a 61/5 diameter piece.

Also ordered a Marcinkewicz CG3 at the same. Have recently started playing on my old Marcinkewicz CGP and have been really enjoying playing it.

I thought I didn't like this piece because of the rim, I was having accuracy and endurance problems on it, but I think it was because I was pair it with an already very open horn, and it was just too much for me. On my ML bore Yamaha 6335 trumpet it feels really great to play and I actually love this rim now. I'm not getting that 'it's sinking into my lip' feeling I used to get. It feels really comfortable and I'm just not missing notes the same way.

Nice sound too, although maybe a little on the Wooly side. My upper register actually seems more secure too... It's all very strange!

I've gotten James New to send me a bunch of his round Rim tops too in different cup depths. So will be interesting to try those out. With a few different backbores. I will report back.
Looking forward to getting the CG3 though! I only ever tried the Marcink P so not sure what to expect.

I know you've said you had some problems with that rim yourself. I'm wondering if you ever had occasion to try the CGs on a middle of the road (bore) trumpet or that rim on a less open throat?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Claude Gordon and Trombone Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I know you've said you had some problems with that rim yourself. I'm wondering if you ever had occasion to try the CGs on a middle of the road (bore) trumpet or that rim on a less open throat?

No, I've only played on my large bore horns (CG Selmer, CG Benge and now mainly my Burbank Benge 6X that was custom built with the CG specified .464" reduced diameter Bell Tube) for the past 37 years, so I've never tried any CG mouthpieces on smaller horns. But I never had an issue with the openness of the mouthpieces (or horns). For me, the only issue was the rim blank shape. I can relate to what you wrote about the upper register feeling more secure with the CG Personal mouthpiece - I remember that feeling.

I've never really given the Marcinkiewicz produced CG mouthpieces a shot - maybe I should. I was one of the people who Joe sent the mouthpieces to for testing during the development process, but I never bought one and spent time on it.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but what I'm saying is that you may find they work better for you with a touch more resistance. For me, it played find on my large bore and I could certainly play it fine, but I always felt that the mouthpiece was sinking into my lip after a while which then caused accuracy problems.. On my ML Yamaha though I don't get that feeling at all. I assume it's because the Large Bore was causing me to fall in more?

May be worth trying one of James New's round rims on a normal throat and whatever cup you like to make sure it really is the outside of the rim/blank that was giving you problems or not. Of course, you may not care, but I know you do like to try different mouthpieces now and again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: