• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Toot Suite - Claude Bolling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GillianC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Toot Suite - Claude Bolling Reply with quote

Hi all,
This year I will be working on a full performance of Claude Bolling's Toot Suite, but performed by 6 trumpets so that the work can be performed in full.

It is my understanding that the piece is impossible to play all the way through as one player due to endurance issues.

Have you or anyone you know performed the whole thing? Have you seen it performed? What are you experiences with this piece?
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Toot Suite - Claude Bolling Reply with quote

GillianC wrote:
Hi all,
This year I will be working on a full performance of Claude Bolling's Toot Suite, but performed by 6 trumpets so that the work can be performed in full.

It is my understanding that the piece is impossible to play all the way through as one player due to endurance issues.

Have you or anyone you know performed the whole thing? Have you seen it performed? What are you experiences with this piece?

I believe there may be a thread on this very issue, if you do a quick Google.

It's rare, but it's been done successfully. I recall a colleague from my undergrad days at the New England Conservatory who performed the whole work on a recital - including other works: (virtually) anything's possible if you have the right set-up, put in the right practice regimen, and set your mind to it!
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
JCJOTpt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I performed the full toot suite live (plus a couple of other pieces) a few years back as part of a 4 performance "tour" of churches in the Philly Suburbs.

Difficult, but doable...

Actually chronicled it "as it was happening" in an older thread here on TH asking the very same question...

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139350

Went on to do a studio recording after the tour.

Video promo for the release if you're interested -
https://bwtpt.com/TS-PromoVid
http://bob-wagner.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: