• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Systematic Approach - Round II!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Systematic Approach - Round II! Reply with quote

Alright, I've been pretty inspired by that CG presentation Jeff Purtle has made available on his website if you create an account, and although I have no real desire to ever be a lead player, I thought I'd go through the book for the second time.

I'm even back on my CG Personal and pulling out my CG trumpet.
It's like Deja Vu.

Did my first range study today in probably a year! I recorded the full range study, so I can see how that's progressed between now and the start of next year.
I also recorded this at the end of my range study. Low F# to... well, it's supposed to be the F# above Double C. I'm pretty hesitant to post this as I'm not a 'high note guy'. I only very, very occasionally actually play in the upper register, and I haven't done any range work in probably a year, so don't judge me too harshly for my lack of a Bergeron-like upper register. I'm no lead player!

https://clyp.it/rmrdym20?token=41582ed4dccbd331fc0109989535261f

This is just recorded with my cheap android phone, and my Marcink. CG Personal (#20 throat) and my large bore CG horn. Full disclosure, I added a little reverb to it (nothing crazy or deceptive though), as my practice room is my bedroom, and the acoustic is pretty terrible. But, it's a bench line. *shrugs*

That said, I was somewhat surprised, as when I was last practising on the CG Personal, my A above High C used to sound like that F# and I used to stall out at B under double C. And when I first started working through SA probably four years ago, I was striking out at High C and C#. Maybe in another few years, some of those squeaks will be real, useable notes?
That'd be fun I suppose.

Anyway, wish me luck. My break is over and I have to get back to watching my tongue Clarke, you cornet-wielding masochist, it's time to dance.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that.

I have made improvements in my high range since starting with SATDP. However, high range isn't my highest priority. I guess if I were to list my priorities it would be overall sound first, fingering/facility second, tonguing and articulation third. In fact, if I were really able to master those things, I'd be perfectly happy with a range that topped out at high C.

Right now, I'd really like to get the fundamentals down. I think that SATDP is a good curriculum for accomplishing that. After that, I'd like to concentrate on jazz improvisation.

But, it is fun to let some high notes fly every now and then.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Systematic Approach - Round II! Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I also recorded this at the end of my range study. Low F# to... well, it's supposed to be the F# above Double C. I'm pretty hesitant to post this as I'm not a 'high note guy'.

You played an F# above Double High C and have the recording to prove it. I pronounce thee from this day forward to be a high note guy. All you have to do from now on to maintain your status is annoy woodwind and string players with your prowess in the stratosphere from time to time (annoying the string players gets you double bonus points).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which CG Personal (Kanstul or Marcinkiewicz) and which CG trumpet (Benge or Selmer) do you have?
thehedge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Which CG Personal (Kanstul or Marcinkiewicz) and which CG trumpet (Benge or Selmer) do you have?

His mouthpiece was listed as "This is just recorded with my cheap android phone, and my Marcink. CG Personal (#20 throat) "
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehedge wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

His mouthpiece was listed as "This is just recorded with my cheap android phone, and my Marcink. CG Personal (#20 throat) "

I should read more carefully. Thanks!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Systematic Approach - Round II! Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I also recorded this at the end of my range study. Low F# to... well, it's supposed to be the F# above Double C. I'm pretty hesitant to post this as I'm not a 'high note guy'.

You played an F# above Double High C and have the recording to prove it. I pronounce thee from this day forward to be a high note guy. All you have to do from now on to maintain your status is nnoy woodwind and string players with your prowess in the stratosphere from time to time (annoying the string players gets you double bonus points).

Hahahahahahaa thanks, John. Might be a while before I really start annoying them with the dBs.

I mean, honestly I would not for one second feel comfortable playing a chart that went or sat over high E for any length of time or required any sought of serious cutting power.

The trumpet is a Kanstul 1070. I call it a CG because it's really what it is, just with a different name. Same leadpipe and bell. 470 all the way. It's a great trumpet. I stopped playing it for a while as I was chasing a different sound and was having some endurance issues. Retrospectively, I think I was just over practicing and not resting enough.
I'm a lot more aware when I need to rest.

With the CGP and this trumpet, everything Claude wrote about tongue channeling the pitch seems absolutely undeniable. On more resistant equipment though, the tongue Is definitely doing something but it feels like the lips are much more involved too.
I think when the blow is open enough, the tongue can stay so forward in the mouth at all times that it and the lips effectively become one thing? .

----

Grits, agreed. High notes are overrated. But I'm a trumpet player, so it's compulsory to try anyway
Honestly, keep at it, although if you're only getting up to high Cs or lower at the moment, you may be better off in the prequel book which right now I can't think of the name for. I spent close to a year on the second half of that book before SA. It has some more appropriate supplemental exercises along with the down and up routines. SA can get pretty intense pretty quickly.
Also, I found I gained range in spurts. I was stuck at various times topping out at Bbs, then Ds then Fs, then As, then Dubba Cs. So don't despair. I was stuck at f/f# for what seemed like forever.
Good luck!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a slight update. I've fallen off the wagon a bit as I've a lot of deadlines at the moment, but I did touch the B above Double C today. (On the Marcink CG3)

I do have recorded proof, but it's far from a particularly musical thing to listen to so I'm not going to both posting it. We're talking squeaks here, but on an embouchure that connects all the way to the bottom of the trumpet.

I also have, for a long time, had a problem slotting the G above High C. F# is always fine, but when I'd try the G, I'd either feel like I was lipping an F# up, or I'd pop up to a note above the break. I've found that if I slightly increase the gap (a single wrap of sticky tape on the shank), and presto. It's there now and just as strong as my F/F#.
So that's interesting. The notes above the break feel a bit more locked in/secure now too.

Anyway, just a progress update on what is a very irrelevant form of progress. I'm posting mostly because I remember I used to genuinely think there was something wrong with my teeth and lips that prevented me from developing an upper register. Now, I guess I have to concede that your teeth and lips are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to playing in any register of the trumpet. It's really just about the right balance of everything. Air, tongue, lip position, contraction of the muscles around the lips, jaw, and the left hand (aka mouthpiece pressure). What makes the extreme range of the trumpet difficult is that if you get any part of the balance wrong, at least in the beginning, it just won't work. Everything needs to be coordinated in just the right balance.

Then, over time, you learn to balance and coordinate those elements in different ways (aka when playing both loudly or softly etc). This is the bit I still have to do a lot of work on. One day, I too might be able to wail loud double Cs all day and night. Although, I like to hope that when that day comes, I'll have enough taste to not actually do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: