• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Easy, then hard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Easy, then hard. Reply with quote

Good Evening;

I've recently been working on my range, and while the upper end really hasn't moved much. Usually, with luck and being really fresh, I've hit a G an octave off the staff, usually and E or F, and none of it on command yet. I can get those notes out once or twice, and that's about it. What I have noticed is that I can get up to a C off the staff without feeling like I'm straining, and then WHAM, the notes above that are a pain in the neck to get out. The other thing I've noticed is that, if I'm below the high C, everything is generally easy, and then above that C, everything is then really hard.

So, for those of you who had hard fought battles with trying to expand your range, was it easy up to a point, and then really hard to get even a few more notes, or was there something else? I feel like I'm getting stronger overall as a player, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,
D
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Easy, then hard. Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Evening;

I've recently been working on my range, and while the upper end really hasn't moved much. Usually, with luck and being really fresh, I've hit a G an octave off the staff, usually and E or F, and none of it on command yet. I can get those notes out once or twice, and that's about it. What I have noticed is that I can get up to a C off the staff without feeling like I'm straining, and then WHAM, the notes above that are a pain in the neck to get out. The other thing I've noticed is that, if I'm below the high C, everything is generally easy, and then above that C, everything is then really hard.

So, for those of you who had hard fought battles with trying to expand your range, was it easy up to a point, and then really hard to get even a few more notes, or was there something else? I feel like I'm getting stronger overall as a player, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,
D

I'm not sure why your post got ignored so far. As it seems a reasonable and most common complaint.

What I like about your post is that you've been observant. In order to apply critical thinking to a problem we need to both ask questions and be observant.

And the most interesting observation is that you notice "everything at or below high C is easy, everything above the C is hard".

Wow! This simple statement unlocks a treasure trove of facts and observations. From this vantage point you can easily observe other matters. Such as,

"Why are the high notes difficult for me but easier for others"? And,

"Shouldnt it stand to reason that any given whole step played above high C should be no more nor no less difficult to resonate than the next one higher"?

So? Do yourself a favor and ask youself a few more questions like this. Then throw these thoughts out here again and we'll rehash and try and come up with some answers. Or if you want? Bug me with some questions in a p/m. Always glad to try and help.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
burnhamd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: My thoughts Reply with quote

Dkwolf,
I understand what you are saying. iMHO, you trying to obtain or make ground in new territory. It first starts with hitting it once or twice. All of us have done that or at least most of us have. There are several things to consider where you are now. When you first started playing you did good to get any sound out at all. Fast forward to now, you are comfortable up to High C. If you want to play higher there has to be some changes made. There could be a number of things you have to do to get those notes. For example, changing up your routine for example work range after warm up first. Bill Chase did long tones a lot, NOT PEDALTONES, he would start at High C and work up. Now he did pedal tones but after he played a concert etc, What works for one will not work for everyone else. You have to look at what is available regarding expanding range and try them and see if they work, if not try something else. I started out with the Steven's method. It worked good up to G above High C. I was stuck so I tried the MF Protocol and that is what worked for me to get me on up to Double C. You have to experiment and find out what will get the results you want. Good luck in you search,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
OldKing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: yes.

We're in the same boat. But I have no desire, or need to play lead, so the struggle continues slowly and carefully. "First, do no harm." It's just part of what I work on.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Easy, then hard. Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Evening;

Thanks,
D

Try this,

A. Learn the main reason why so many trumpet players either get weak at above High D or cut-off altogether.

B. Once figured this out learn to blow a soft High C with the horn resting only on your palm. It doesnt matter which horn angle or chop setting. Unlike the Stevens System? Just play your most natural setting.

C. Work that High C up to High G. Just get a piece of the note. Dont try for too big of a sound.

D. Once at high G? Try to open that tone up. So you may get a solid FF with only the contact pressure derived from gravity against and open palm.

E. As you go through this process you should consciously work to reduce the amount you jam the horn. Its a gradual process so dont look for an overnight success.

For a lot of trumpet players the arm pressure really reduces the amount of time you can play in the upper register. I call this,

"Register Decay". And the only treatment for it is rest and to refuse to allow arm pressure to take over yoyr life. I used to be the "Five minute hero".

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

Excellent Advice,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon;

Thanks for all the input. From what folks have said, I'm on the right track by taking the slow and steady approach, and to just keep working on playing at the top of the register gently until it becomes more solid.

I've spent the summer practicing with just enough pressure to make the mouthpiece seal on my embouchure (someone mentioned resting the horn on my palm to play; I'm doing pretty much just that), and focusing on my sound. That way, I can adjust until I get the best sound I can, and work on the range (and everything else) in that position. Letting the ear drive the lip, instead of the other way around. Now all I need is for the range to catch up.

Thanks again,
D
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Afternoon;

Thanks for all the input. ...
...I've spent the summer practicing with just enough pressure to make the mouthpiece seal on my embouchure (someone mentioned resting the horn on my palm to play; I'm doing pretty much just that), and focusing on my sound. ...
Thanks again,
D

I would be careful using the palm approach. I could be wrong and quite often am, but I always thought this should be used as a check on your emb. And not a technique to strengthen it. You would never play this way. In my opinion no one plays pressureless, you have to maintain a seal to get full vibration/resonance in the lip and unless you increase the pressure as you increase velocity or volume of air you will leak and tone and everything else will suffer. If this is working for you then you should keep using it, but I do believe that continuing with the belief that no pressure is a goal will hurt your efforts in the long run. This exercise has worked when I feel I am starting to use too much in places, but I wouldn't make it a big part of ongoing development. And like using too much pressure, I think developing this no pressure way of thinking is flawed.
Rod
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how to use tools is just as important as having them. No pressure, combined with too soft to have much sound, is just to get a feel for notes higher than you can really play.

Anything like that needs to be only a small part of your practice time, maybe not daily but once or twice a week at first, giving your chops time to adjust. Strain is always possible when working on either range or volume, and will always set your playing back further than seems reasonable. Might take a week to even show up, making it difficult to learn what caused it.

Playing more in the top of your solid and easy range is something you can spend more time doing and thus make more progress with, but you still need tons of frequent rest, like maybe one phrase and then twice as much rest as you just played. Use that approach with both playing by ear and reading, anything and everything.

Realize that the biggest difference between notes below and above high C is mental! Bill Adam type thinking is a great tool for this. You can expose yourself to a lot of that in that dedicated sub-forum here.

One of the simplest and most broadly successful ideas is to learn to think of the next note higher as simply being farther out. Learn not to tolerate your sound as being stationary, but always flowing.
Raggerty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts, kinda related, but I'm no expert so take it with a punch of salt. May or may not apply.

You can get the highest couple of notes in your range using some form of tension, maybe mouthpiece pressure, maybe screwing up lips somehow, contorting you tongue and blowing harder, idk. If you do this enough you get used to it and maybe it don't feel like tension anymore. But as a technique it's a dead end. This is why you hit a wall. You need to drop back a ledger line or so and find your tension free range. Then advance your range in a tension free manner, trying to unlearn whatever tricks you were using before for your highest few notes.

Second thought is there's no better way to pile on the tension than a mental block. Fool yourself somehow. Put the tuning slide right out and play a C# which might now be a B. Or play a familiar tune an octave too high that creeps above C

Good luck.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Easy, then hard. Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Evening;

Thanks,
D

Hello Dkwolfe,
Your story is the norm for most players who can get to a high C. Its the notes after that that require some finesse. For me things shut off at Eb above High C. I just couldn't "feel" the High E. I changed a lot of things, mouthpiece size being the most dramatic. It caused other things to happen though by going to a really small inner diameter. I had to change the way i was approaching these notes. I had to learn to "feel" where they were in my note alignment. Through the course of trying to learn to play with less tension and lip intrusion into the cup i started to develop thru the use of a daily routine (i mean everyday) based on Bill Adam principles, the way these notes "feel".
Leadpipe blowing is at the core of my routine, for i feel that when i learned to blow the leadpipe, which literally took seconds after following a video posted by Greg Spence and was an AHA moment, with a nice resonant sound the whole trumpet scale from top to bottom started to "feel" very similar. It took a while to get there,and ofcourse other things are happening as well, but the key was to do the routine everyday, eventually the High E started to speak, now its always there and speaks easily, The Ascending scale routine that is attributed to Mr Adam finishes with Low F# to F# above high C, I can do it everyday now with little to no practice. I have learned to "feel" those notes. For me now, the G above high C is where the High E used to be, but to be honest i rarely try to expand beyond the F#. Going to DHC will require more time than i have currently to invest in those notes. I would just be "hitting" them anyway, which for me has no place in music. Playing them though is a different story, perhaps when i have some time after i retire.

Find a routine that helps the low and high notes "feel" the same to your chops and do it everyday, expand outward, those notes should come in time, but also don't be afraid to try new things to get there. I was told for years to stay with my 1 1/2C and the notes will come, they never did, but i was doing other things wrong then too but that's another story. Hope some of this helps. A common theme in alot of my posts is to blow the leadpipe, i really recommend it's usefulness.

regards,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: