• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DEG signature cornet and DEG signature 2000 cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: DEG signature cornet and DEG signature 2000 cornet? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if these models were the same or was there a difference between them?
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally familiar with the evolution of the DEG line, but there's a Signature cornet listed on eBay right now. Comparing it to photos of a Signature 2000 cornet I sold recently, they're not even nearly the same. The wrap is quite different. I've always believed the Signature 2000 was the top of the line; not sure about the Signature but would guess it was either predecessor or lower in their line.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: DEG Signature 2000 Reply with quote

As I was closely involved in design of the DEG Signature 2000 line of trumpets, cornets, flugelhorns and piccolo trumpets, I can say that Don Getzen used the "Signature" designation on some horns prior to the "Signature 2000" line that came later. The earlier "Signature" horns came from various sources and the "Signature 2000" line were all made at Allied, owned at the time by Don's brother Bob who also made the marching instrument line for Don's DEG Company under the "Dynasty" label. The "Signature 2000" cornets in both Bb and Eb were quite popular in England and the two models of Bb trumpets named the "Signature 2000" "LA" and "NY" models were being played by some top professionals in the world. Some of the early "Signature" flugelhorns were made by the Swiss company Willson and are quite good value in the used market. Willson owned Bauerfeind valves at the time and DEG was the US agent for Willson who's euphoniums were considered the best in the world.
I hope this clears any confusion up.

Tony Scodwell

www.scodwellusa.com
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time - but one model - I think the "Signature" looked about like a Getzen 800 .464 bore.

The 2000 was a very close in design to a Besson from the late 50's or 60's. The "Besson-like" model was about a .466 bore with 1st valve trigger. It was a very good cornet which played more in tune in the high register than my Besson.

I may have the model numbers turned around - but I owned the "Besson-like" model and have compared that model to a late 50's Besson.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: DEG Signature cornets Reply with quote

The DEG Signature cornets which preceded the Signature 2000 model were made by Blessing. This information from the then partner of Don Getzen and current owner of DEG.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: