• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

In the dark... and headphones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: In the dark... and headphones Reply with quote

I've recently been grabbing my horn late into the evening, especially after a long day. In doing so, a handful of times I've just grabbed my horn in my basement, not turned on the lights, and done some basic practice in the dark. I think it's a great way to focus on sound and feel, especially just for basic practice- long tones, lip flexibility, etc.

This made me curious, does anyone recommend this specifically? Practice in the dark to support more focus on sound and feel?

Separate, but related. Occasionally I jump off of work calls with my in-ear headphones still on, and pick up the trumpet to play. You can REALLY hear your tonguing clearly when you wear headphones or ear plugs.

It seems that visual and sound isolation are very helpful to have some focused practice.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it, and oddly enough, I did it tonight before reading this thread - long tones in the dark with my eyes closed, focusing on sound, how the mouthpiece feels, and what's going on between me and the horn.

I don't know if anyone specifically recommends it, but I've always liked to do it at times where I feel like I'm forcing things too much - usually when pressure starts to creep back into my playing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Never done that before. I'll give it a try.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
MonkeRules
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like practice in the dark as some kind of performance preparation. Sometimes I play the piece 3-4 times in the dark, then switch on every lightsource available and jump in the air 10 times. Then play immediately!
It seems to help handling performance nervousness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: