• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Dental issue Reply with quote

I have conclude that I have to replace my front upper four teeth. The question is What is the best way to do this? Aside from implants which
are prohibitively expensive, what is the next best option for a strong set of teeth to help me maximize my trumpet sound. Partial plate??? etc.
thanks,
tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me from my hockey accident back in the 80's...

I would see if your dentist would opt for a full bridge. It's permanent unlike a partial plate. When I had my bridge, I was fine and could still do everything like nothing ever happened. I could hit the high C and high D without trouble.

Partials (and like me now - with a full upper denture plate) takes MONTHS and MONTHS to rebuilt your embouchure. Forget about range... Basically it will be like starting all over again in the 5th grade in school with an old Conn Director.

I hope this helps....
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Dental work Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments as they were quite helpful. A full bridge, however, sounds like it would be quite expensive?? as compared to a partial..?
Regards,
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following comments and discussions about dental issues for some time now. I may face these issues myself someday if I continue to want to play a trumpet as time goes on. But, I have not resigned myself to anything yet, and will by all means consult a dental professional and not the Internet if and when the situation arises.

I do not have any answer. Moreover, I'm not sure there is a universal answer that applies equally in all situations. I have heard various reports and experience stories, and it seems that none of them are exactly the same.

You may get a variety of opinions from people based on experiences they have had. While interesting, none of that is even a remote substitute for professional and personal medical advice.

And, If you are looking for some kind of inexpensive procedure, I seriously doubt that you will find such a thing. All medical care, including dental care, is expensive. In fact, dental care can be extremely expensive. So, if you really want a solution, you will probably need to get prepared to pay the price.

Good luck, but the idea of inexpensive is probably fantasy.
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Dental care issue Reply with quote

Thanks for your wise counsel, but I must assert that there are dental schools that perform amazing things for mortals like us, for absolutely nothing - if you qualify for their educational process in doing the operation. Here very professional dentists teach students with you as the guinea pig and you take your chances, but its worth a look at any rate. Got to find the right dental school, the right teaching dentist pro, and get lucky. Otherwise, be prepared to use a known pro for a permanent bridge operation, and still take your chances at a pretty high cost. I know since my dad was a dentist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: