• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Polished German Rotaries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Polished German Rotaries Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have just created my TH account today but have read plenty of discussions here about various topics, all very interesting. Thanks for that.

I am about to buy a high-end rotary trumpet from Germany, a Gerd Dowids G72. It is "polished", which I find surpsrising because American made piston trumpets in the same price range would definitely come silver plated. While I was "shopping"'online, I also noticed that Weimann rotaries have the same "finish". Do you know if there is a strong culture of raw brass among rotary makers of Germany? Do they really believe in the tone produced by raw brass? Or simply they are not really knowledgeable about silver plating?

Thank you,
Peter
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Peter,
If you buy a professional rotary trumpet in Germany you first orderthe horn.
When it is built,you try it and after that you can choose if you warnt the instrument raw,lacquered,silver or goldplated.
How Long does it take till you geht the horn ?
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the thomann website you can order Thema in the finish you want.
thomann.de
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered it from thomannmusic.com, which is their international website. The dowids I ordered is not available silver plated on that site. I live in the US, can't test rotaries here, I tried.. Thomann has a good return policy though, in case the Dowids turns out to be a piece of junk
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or send it to me for 50$ shipping included, as would say Homebilly.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter777 wrote:
I live in the US, can't test rotaries here, I tried.. Thomann has a good return policy though, in case the Dowids turns out to be a piece of junk

There is a 0.00% chance the Dowids would be a 'piece of junk' - they are some of the finest brass instruments of any type being made at present time. Which is not to say that acclimating to a German-style trumpet can be as plug-and-play as, say, certain flugelhorns, or a Schilke piccolo. They take a different attention to articulation, dynamic nuance, and many other musical and technical factors.

Many players therefore prefer to go on a mouthpiece safari in conjunction with their acquisition of a rotary trumpet. I'd caution against this, as I do think it amounts to putting the cart before the horse...and moving the target! However, please post your reactions (and maybe some photos...or even video, if you feel bold!) to getting to know this fine instrument. There is a wealth of community knowledge and a willingness to be helpful here on TH that can help in a big way with getting the most out of your new horn.

Finally, on the topic of finish - lacquer is probably less popular in Europe than on 'this side of the pond' and, frankly, I think that's a good thing. It has been more than half a century since Renold Schilke demonstrated how lacquer kills the resonance of a horn, and while the things manufacturers use now are less thick/heavy, raw brass is how brass instruments were made for millennia - silver/gold plating is nice for appearance, and to protect an instrument if you have particularly acidic hands.

That said, I have seen many Dowids (perhaps most!?) in Silver, so it's odd that you didn't have the option of ordering your horn that way. Have you tried contacting Thomann directly about this issue?

Best,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Daniel. I sent an email to Thomann, curious about what they say, especially about the cost... The horn is expensive enough without plating.

Yes, it took me a while to get used to my Scherzer (which I will probably sell in the Marketplace after the Dowids arrive), but it was a pleasant surprise that I was able to practice a lot more before I got exhausted - I am a comeback player and still in the process of building up my stamina. I think it is because of the smaller bore that requires less air. I bought a Getzen 900 when decided to play again, which sounds great but I find it very demanding. I might sell that one too.
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
peter777 wrote:
I live in the US, can't test rotaries here, I tried.. Thomann has a good return policy though, in case the Dowids turns out to be a piece of junk

There is a 0.00% chance the Dowids would be a 'piece of junk' - they are some of the finest brass instruments of any type being made at present time. Which is not to say that acclimating to a German-style trumpet can be as plug-and-play as, say, certain flugelhorns, or a Schilke piccolo. They take a different attention to articulation, dynamic nuance, and many other musical and technical factors.

Many players therefore prefer to go on a mouthpiece safari in conjunction with their acquisition of a rotary trumpet. I'd caution against this, as I do think it amounts to putting the cart before the horse...and moving the target! However, please post your reactions (and maybe some photos...or even video, if you feel bold!) to getting to know this fine instrument. There is a wealth of community knowledge and a willingness to be helpful here on TH that can help in a big way with getting the most out of your new horn.

Finally, on the topic of finish - lacquer is probably less popular in Europe than on 'this side of the pond' and, frankly, I think that's a good thing. It has been more than half a century since Renold Schilke demonstrated how lacquer kills the resonance of a horn, and while the things manufacturers use now are less thick/heavy, raw brass is how brass instruments were made for millennia - silver/gold plating is nice for appearance, and to protect an instrument if you have particularly acidic hands.

That said, I have seen many Dowids (perhaps most!?) in Silver, so it's odd that you didn't have the option of ordering your horn that way. Have you tried contacting Thomann directly about this issue?

Best,

-DB

So Thomann got back to me and said it's not possible to add silver plating to my order, the Dowids G72 is sold as listed on the website (polished).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: