• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Sound like Bach Trumpet 190S43?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louie Finch, as always, left you a very thoughful quite accurrate response.. The only thing I'd add to the thread is that I don't agree that with a mouhptice alone you can get a complete trumpet like sound out of a cornet.

Realize that various models of cornets and trumpets have design features that move them slightly toward a middle ground. i.e. modern trumpets are a bit more conical.. and many cornets are more cylindrical than even 50 to 75 years ago. So, shading moreso in either direction is possible and common.

However, you will not truly get a trumpet sound out of a cornet and visa versa. You may think is sounds similar in your practice space, when you practice, but put it in a room/in an ensemble, I contend that it's less than adequate. No matter what you do on the front end of a cornet, you will not have the core of sound that a trumpet has - in projection, in upper register carry, especially in the range of dynamics. Conversly, putting a funky mouthpiece on a trumpet will not make it sound like a cornet/flugelhorn - similar, close, but there are overtones, wavelengths, and colors that won't be created. Put that in an ensemble, in a decent hall or outdoors and I don't believe it will stand up.

I have several Bach trumpets and a Bach 184 Cornet, Blessing cornet and Schilke Eb Soprano, Bussey & Hawkes Eb.. they all have unique qualities that played side by side or back to back, do not sound alike regardless of mouthpiece - And I know that the difference is distinguishable even from an untrained audience.

In solo or combo work play what you like and feel good on.. but if you're in a section play the instrument that is called for.. cornet, flugelhorn or trumpet, If you show up at a Brass Band with a trumpet, or Orchestra with a cornet (unless called for), a C trumpet for a picc. gig..... I'm the guy that will say something.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 181ML37 long cornet and while it can sound very trumpet-like with a 3C mouthpiece it isn't nearly as loud as a trumpet. When pushed for more volume it becomes very strident and not necessarily appealing. Think of drum corps groups with G sopranos and that's the sound I compare it to. They were essentially G cornets with trumpet mouthpieces.

Kent
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest would be a Bach 181ML which comes with the 37 bell standard. You can usually find used ones on ebay and the marketplace here. MAYBE you can special order a 181 with a 43 bell but I have my doubts.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Louie Finch, as always, left you a very thoughful quite accurrate response.

Hi zaferis

I have been very busy lately and am just catching up with notifications from previous threads. Thank you very much for your kind words.

The only thing I'd add to the thread is that I don't agree that with a mouhptice alone you can get a complete trumpet like sound out of a cornet.

Realize that various models of cornets and trumpets have design features that move them slightly toward a middle ground. i.e. modern trumpets are a bit more conical.. and many cornets are more cylindrical than even 50 to 75 years ago. So, shading moreso in either direction is possible and common.

However, you will not truly get a trumpet sound out of a cornet and visa versa. You may think is sounds similar in your practice space, when you practice, but put it in a room/in an ensemble, I contend that it's less than adequate. No matter what you do on the front end of a cornet, you will not have the core of sound that a trumpet has - in projection, in upper register carry, especially in the range of dynamics. Conversly, putting a funky mouthpiece on a trumpet will not make it sound like a cornet/flugelhorn - similar, close, but there are overtones, wavelengths, and colors that won't be created. Put that in an ensemble, in a decent hall or outdoors and I don't believe it will stand up.

I completely agree.

All the best

Lou

I have several Bach trumpets and a Bach 184 Cornet, Blessing cornet and Schilke Eb Soprano, Bussey & Hawkes Eb.. they all have unique qualities that played side by side or back to back, do not sound alike regardless of mouthpiece - And I know that the difference is distinguishable even from an untrained audience.

In solo or combo work play what you like and feel good on.. but if you're in a section play the instrument that is called for.. cornet, flugelhorn or trumpet, If you show up at a Brass Band with a trumpet, or Orchestra with a cornet (unless called for), a C trumpet for a picc. gig..... I'm the guy that will say something.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves correctly, a Bach 181 cornet is, as a standard ML instrument, fittted with a 25 leadpipes nad 37 bell. The bell is shorter, however it’s done, and there’s some more tubing in front of the valves after the tuning slide.

Seems pretty wella Bach 37 trumpet with the valves back alongside the pipe and a few corresponding changes, like a different choke and the valves interfering with the nodes in a different way.

Just order a ML cornet with a 43 bell. It can’t be that hard to make, all they need is take a 43 bell. Treat it like they do the 37 bell for a cornet and bung it on.

Cheers

Andy
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Very good suggestion. However since this thread dates back to September and without checking I don't believe that the OP has posted anything further, he is possibly no longer interested in pursuing this.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: