• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

Looking for used cornet recommendations for my son who is just starting out after two years of piano. So far I have recommendations for Getzen, Yamaha, and Bach. A few questions:

-What’s a good price for a used student Bach trumpet?

-What’s a good price for a used Getzen 300 or 400?

-What’s the difference (if there is a difference) between a Getzen and an Elkhart Getzen?

V/R,

Roger
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is not as much the price as it is what you are getting for the price paid. Whether a cornet or a trumpet, you want an instrument in a reasonably good shape. No leaks, no major dents, no red rot, valves and slides moving smoothly. Getzen is a very good choice.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

Villanovaswo wrote:
Looking for used cornet recommendations for my son who is just starting out after two years of piano. So far I have recommendations for Getzen, Yamaha, and Bach. A few questions:

-What’s the difference (if there is a difference) between a Getzen and an Elkhart Getzen?

V/R,

Roger

Roger,

Cornet or trumpet? Your title of post says cornet, your note says trumpet. If I were buying a beginner a cornet, I would find a good used Olds Ambassador on eBay and buy it. I would not go over $125 shipped, and I would see if I could find a Los Angeles version. It should serve you well, should be easy to put into top shape and to keep in good condition.

I would not spend more on another instrument until he shows he is interested, and capable of handling a more fragile instrument with maturity.

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Villanovaswo wrote:

V/R,

Roger

Roger,

Cornet or trumpet? Your title of post says cornet, your note says trumpet. If I were buying a beginner a cornet, I would find a good used Olds Ambassador on eBay and buy it. I would not go over $125 shipped, and I would see if I could find a Los Angeles version. It should serve you well, should be easy to put into top shape and to keep in good condition.

I would not spend more on another instrument until he shows he is interested, and capable of handling a more fragile instrument with maturity.

Hope this helps,

AL

Doc,
This helps a lot, thanks! I meant cornet; local music store suggested pocket trumpet because of my sons age (may son is about to turn 8 but big for his age), but the wise people on this forum suggested a cornet. I will check out the Olds on E-bay at the price point you suggested. How do I know if the Olds trumpet I am looking at is made in LA?

V/R,

Roger
(A trombone player trying to navigate the trumpet/cornet world)
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

Villanovaswo wrote:
What’s the difference (if there is a difference) between a Getzen and an Elkhart Getzen?

Getzen is located in Elkhorn, WI. There is no Elkhart Getzen and never was.

Villanovaswo wrote:
local music store suggested pocket trumpet because of my son's age

That's the sad state of today's music stores. Even 100+ years ago pocket trumpets and cornets were little more than novelties.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

Villanovaswo wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Villanovaswo wrote:

V/R,

Roger

Hi Roger,

It should say Los Angeles on the bell in the engraving. Many advertise them as Los Angeles models as well as they are slightly more desirable. I myself haven't ever found an Ambassador cornet that did not work well.

Hopethat helps!

AL

Roger,

Hope this helps,

AL

Doc,
This helps a lot, thanks! I meant cornet; local music store suggested pocket trumpet because of my sons age (may son is about to turn 8 but big for his age), but the wise people on this forum suggested a cornet. I will check out the Olds on E-bay at the price point you suggested. How do I know if the Olds trumpet I am looking at is made in LA?

V/R,

Roger
(A trombone player trying to navigate the trumpet/cornet world)

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point about pocket trumpets - I understand why one was recommended, but I have had two and I question that small fingers can really negotiate the unique wrap that pocket trumpets have.

My last pocket trumpet was a Carol and was excellent and if your child can negotiate holding one properly good. But I would try one before buying it sight unseen.

FWIW, I started on a normal sized cornet when I was nine and had no problem holding it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to take anything from the excellent reputation of the Olds Ambassadors (I have 3 of those), I would suggest you check out the Conn 15a cornet, '60's era. Built like tanks, dent protection on the slide crooks and bends in the horn. They are what I call "5 Slide" Conns, with a slide on the bell tail, which is handy for cleaning. Also, the tuning slide is more like a trumpet, with a straight shot at the mouthpiece receiver that facilitates keeping the lead pipe clean. Bottom springs, a very easy to maintain horn, which is handy for a young person who is likely to blow food, candy, soda pop, chips, etc. into the instrument. It is a large bore horn, but to me plays much like a smaller cornet.

Holds it's value very well, also. These are going in the $100-$200 range currently, and pristine examples going somewhat higher. The 17a is the copper bell version, and is identical otherwise. Plays about the same. I would suggest the 15a, as these are more common, and leave the Coprion models for restorers.

As a dubious benefit, they sound more like trumpets to me, at least in the context of cornets. My Coprion 17a is a nice jazz solo horn, very mellow tone. They ARE very high quality, as were most of the Conn instruments of that time period, and can be played on the semi-pro level and more. To me, they were actually practical "pocket" trumpets. A good 15a can carry a student up through high school, if properly cared for. Maybe not as "cool" as a shiny trumpet, but hey...

Good luck in your search. Hope this helps!

Dave
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Not to take anything from the excellent reputation of the Olds Ambassadors (I have 3 of those), I would suggest you check out the Conn 15a cornet, '60's era. Built like tanks, dent protection on the slide crooks and bends in the horn. They are what I call "5 Slide" Conns, with a slide on the bell tail, which is handy for cleaning. Also, the tuning slide is more like a trumpet, with a straight shot at the mouthpiece receiver that facilitates keeping the lead pipe clean. Bottom springs, a very easy to maintain horn, which is handy for a young person who is likely to blow food, candy, soda pop, chips, etc. into the instrument. It is a large bore horn, but to me plays much like a smaller cornet.

Holds it's value very well, also. These are going in the $100-$200 range currently, and pristine examples going somewhat higher. The 17a is the copper bell version, and is identical otherwise. Plays about the same. I would suggest the 15a, as these are more common, and leave the Coprion models for restorers.

As a dubious benefit, they sound more like trumpets to me, at least in the context of cornets. My Coprion 17a is a nice jazz solo horn, very mellow tone. They ARE very high quality, as were most of the Conn instruments of that time period, and can be played on the semi-pro level and more. To me, they were actually practical "pocket" trumpets. A good 15a can carry a student up through high school, if properly cared for. Maybe not as "cool" as a shiny trumpet, but hey...

Dave

Another great suggestion, and one to look for if you want to have a little more choice.
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:

Dave

Thank you so much for all help! The Conn 15a (and even 17a as I am finding some examples of those) open up the spectrum, beautiful horns in decent condition and price. How about the Conn 16b? Does it matter if the horn is silver or brass for student (I know is bone players tend to like brass to keep the tone rich, but the trumpet/cornet players I remember would search out silver horns)?

V/R,

Roger
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villanovaswo wrote:
boog wrote:

Dave

Thank you so much for all help! The Conn 15a (and even 17a as I am finding some examples of those) open up the spectrum, beautiful horns in decent condition and price. How about the Conn 16b? Does it matter if the horn is silver or brass for student (I know is bone players tend to like brass to keep the tone rich, but the trumpet/cornet players I remember would search out silver horns)?

V/R,

Roger

I meant Conn 16a (silver cornet made in the USA - says CONN USA on the bell).
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a Conn 22B trumpet to start on. It is a well made student trumpet, small bore, which makes it easy to play for a young person and it keeps him playing something that won't be made fun of by other young players. Everybody plays trumpets now. Why saddle him with something that others aren't playing. The configuration of the 22B has the valves close to the face and it is not a heavy horn.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions
Holton t602, t602p
Or many of the vintage pro model Holtons because they’re all very well made and great horns
Same with the cornets c602 for a very good student cornet or c603 & 605 are great semi professional models
If you’re looking strictly for a new cornet that has a traditional sound and is cost effective I would recommend the Brasspire Unicorn from ACB
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<I meant Conn 16a (silver cornet made in the USA - says CONN USA on the bell).>>>

Not familiar with that cornet, but I would guess it is a "post-Elkhart" horn. "Conn USA" horns were most likely made by another manufacturer after the company sold out in the early 70's.

For history and model lists see "The Conn Loyalist" web page:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/

As for silver or lacquer, that is choice or availability. Has little to do with how the horn plays. Although, kids seem to like the shiny horns...as for me, I have always been a fan of lacquer or raw brass. I have both finishes as well as silver on several of my trumpets. Some players swear that they can hear the difference between identical instruments in lacquer or silver. I guess my hearing is not that good. Must be from standing in front of Mesa Boogie stacks too much as a kid...
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet Recommendations Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Villanovaswo wrote:

V/R,

Roger

Roger,

Hope this helps,

AL

Doc,

What’s the difference between the difference between LA and Fullerton Olds Ambassador horns?

V/R,

Roger
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Olds Ambassador version of cornets. I bought one on eBay a while ago and absolutely love it! It's from 1975 and says Olds Ambassador, Fullerton, CA right on top near the bell.

I have heard about LA versions and Fullerton versions, but I am not sure of the differences, other than the years they were made.

Honest... My '75 Olds Ambassador was $69.95 on eBay!! Two issues though: One (major) - no MP at all! Two - one of the bottom braces was loose and needed to be resoldered. That's it.

938278 puts it right at 1975 in Fullerton, CA.

It's a heck of a cornet for very little money and built like a tank! I picked up a cheap Conn 3 (no letter) MP also on eBay and it sounds very nice and sweet!

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The venerable YCR-233, YCR-2330 (shepherd's crook) as well as YCR-231 and YCR-2310 (American style) are fine, too.
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to purchase an Olds Ambassdor LA horn for my son and it cost es with a mouthpiece.

Will the mouthpiece the horn comes with be alright for my son as someone who is just starting out?

After doing some research, my only concern is if I need to change mouthpieces since I am very limited due to the shank limitations.

V/R,

Roger
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a later Fullerton cornet to avoid the non-standard mouthpiece shank issue. There's no significant playability difference between the L.A. and Fullerton models, especially for a beginner. The L.A. models typically came with an Olds 3 mouthpiece, which, in my opinion, is too small/shallow.
Villanovaswo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I'd buy a later Fullerton cornet to avoid the non-standard mouthpiece shank issue. There's no significant playability difference between the L.A. and Fullerton models, especially for a beginner. The L.A. models typically came with an Olds 3 mouthpiece, which, in my opinion, is too small/shallow.

If I were to get a Fullerton Ambasaador, which date range should I get that has the chance of quality and will accept modern or standard mouthpieces?

V/R,

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: