• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing trumpet and euphonium and helicon Tuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreas Sperhis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: playing trumpet and euphonium and helicon Tuba Reply with quote

Hi!

My main instrument is trumpet, but playing in the theater often means I have to play euphonium or helicon tuba as well. Can the different mouthpiece sizes make a mess of my trumpet embouchure and playing? My practice sessions involve 95% the trumpet. Did anybody have similar experience?

thanks!

Nikos K, Athens, Greece
No name russian baritone horn
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often double small bore trombone and trumpet/flugel. Most I can say is practice being able to switch between the two at any time (that necessitates putting a LOT of time in on your secondaries in addition to you primaries).

Trading buzzing between the two mouthpieces helped me a lot... now I can play all over from pedals to "super" tones on trombone and still own my trumpet high range and tone.

Too bad I can't play fast!

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing euphonium is good for my trumpet playing. Unless your doubling causes you to practice less, I can't imagine a double that would hurt your chops.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Playing euphonium is good for my trumpet playing. Unless your doubling causes you to practice less, I can't imagine a double that would hurt your chops.

I play all of the brass, and have yet to find a horn that didn't have benefit to playing it.
Horn makes you listen carefully, because all of the partials are so close together. Trombone makes you listen in a different way, because a half inch off throws you out of tune, and you can micro-tune trombone more easily than trumpet. Tuba really makes you aware of air. Just don't 'double' by goofing around with a different instrument. PLAY each instrument as well as you can.
But trumpet takes more physical chop strength, so I practice it more.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play trumpet for one ensemble, euphonium for another, and tuba as well. I find that each helps the other, but there are differences:

1) embouchure and internal mouth and tongue positioning are slightly different from horn to horn for maximum efficiency and stable breath support and intonation;
2) air requirements: the higher the pitch of the instrument, more velocity; the lower the pitch of the instrument, more volume (as tuba players, we talk about "big easy air");
3) practicing all of them is necessary to maintain proficiency on any of them;
4) There really is no correlation between brands, configurations, bore sizes, mouthpiece sizes, etc., on any of them being a full octave apart (I play a BBb tuba), so any horn & mouthpiece combination that does the job, sounds good, and is efficient to play will work;

But the most important item I have found in over 45 years of playing is that breath support and the proper conditioning and coordination of the abdominals and the intercostals to provide stable, consistent air for the instrument and musical situation is absolutely necessary. More issues, whether fundamentals, technique, doubling instruments, other aspects of pedagogy, or anything else, can, if not solved, at least be either minimized or facilitate a player's focus on a particular issue for a particular remedy if there is good breath support. Without proper breath support, no other item of pedagogy will produce better playing.
Andreas Sperhis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank you for your advice and suggestions. I will try to share more equally my practice time between trumpet, euphonium and helicon, even thought trumpet is impossible not to ask for MORE attention...

the transition from trumpet to helicon seems more awkward to me. Maybe it's the instrument, a probably more than 70 years old Stowasser:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hqrpxr97fgxfm6/Stowasswer%20helicon.jpg?dl=0

So much FUN to play this...
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doubling in performances, then the most important facet of practice is going to be practicing changing between instruments.

If you master the change, the rest gets pretty easy.

cheers

Andy
Andreas Sperhis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
If you are doubling in performances, then the most important facet of practice is going to be practicing changing between instruments.

If you master the change, the rest gets pretty easy.

cheers

Andy

Great advice thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: