• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Microphone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Microphone Reply with quote

I'm in search of a new microphone for live playing on stage. I want something that will clearly capture brass sounds, have a little flexibility of angle so I can move a tiny bit and still not pick up other horns around me.

www.rossandrosslaw.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio-Technica Pro 35 clip-on.. great sound and always a consistent distance from your bell. You will have to learn to reposition it if you use a mute or want to put you trumpet on a stand. - At times I've clipped it to my music stand, then use it like a stand mic.
They are good at not picking up others from the sides or rear.

Old workhorse - Shure SM-57
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Microphone Reply with quote

davidbross wrote:
I'm in search of a new microphone for live playing on stage. I want something that will clearly capture brass sounds, have a little flexibility of angle so I can move a tiny bit and still not pick up other horns around me.

Here we go again. (Out of curiosity, what kind of budget do you have?)

The stock answer, and one of the first answers you're likely to get, is a Shure SM57, or possibly a Shure SM58, which are similar but different. Then comes the part where people want to talk about how the SM57/58s are just a horrible mic for live trumpet (pretty sure I saw The Boss playing through either an SM58 or possibly a Beta 58 on numerous occasions, but let's not let that deter us from the argument.)

The thread will meander around here and there for a while, extolling the virtues of this mic or that mic, mostly ignoring the venerable offerings from Shure.

My thought is that if you want a dependable mic that will get the job done well enough and won't cost a ton of money, get a Shure SM57. I've done a lot of playing through either a 57 or 58 and they always seemed to get the job done ok. Are they the "best?" Probably not, but it's only $100, and chances are you'll still have it and use it 20+ years from now.

If not the Shure SM57, look into other cardioid or super cardioid dynamic microphones, although if you do, you may wind up spending a fair amount more than on the Shure.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
davidbross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably up to $300.00. Please keep the recommendations coming.

www.rossandrosslaw.com
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: