• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2 piece mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: 2 piece mouthpieces Reply with quote

Was looking into purchasing a Warburton. Are there any negatives of using a screw/2 piece mouthpiece?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! Just don't neglect to test for intonation, along with other factors. I have discovered that gap affects this so much that I have gotten everything cut for sleeves, (well Stomvi couplers) which means I play 3-piece mpcs; top, backbore, and coupler.

Even so, it's cheaper in the long run to wind up with stuff you really like as compared to trying to do that one piece.

His size 4 rim has an ID of .650", with each smaller number increasing the ID by .010", so a 3 is .660". This doesn't exactly line up with standard sizes based on Bach 7, 5, 3, or 1.5. Maybe you can find what you like there anyway, but many other makers also make components, that take the same threads.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Warburton setup for playing rock horn lines in the wedding band. I'm using a 4SVW top on a KT backbore, and although my preference has been for the standard KT backbore, I also have a DKT and an EKT - inner dimensions are the same, but the exterior dimensions allow for adjustment of the gap - the DKT seats a touch deeper than the KT, and EKT seats a bit deeper than the EKT.

All three of those backbores play and respond a good bit differently due to the difference in gap. I'm considering shifting to the DKT for a new horn I picked up recently - I haven't made up my mind on it yet, and like Razeontherock, I may wind up moving to a coupling system as well. A buddy of mine has a lathe setup and can cut mouthpieces for sleeves, so I'm thinking of having the EKT cut for sleeves, so that I can dial that in even more precisely.

In any case, I like having the 2-part setup because it allows for dialing in or changing your backbore configuration rather than trying to get a whole new mouthpiece when you are already comfortable on a certain cup and rim. I'm not there yet with my legit setup, but I'm doing the research to head down that road pretty soon, probably with some offerings from Trent Austin and Austin Custom Brass.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there actually a significant negative regarding the throat and throat size.
First, there is a super small minority of people out there that get a hiss in the sound even if the two pieces line up perfectly and butt up and everything correctly. Ive seen it two times, thirty years apart, but it could happen.

More commonly, the "standard" 27 throat size just might not a good size for a sizable portion of the players out there. You Can open the throat of course, but then you cant switch and try backbores as easily. And that switching etc is a big part of the advantage of 2 piece. You can bore out both pieces together by hand with a reamer and things will be fine until you try another backbore. If you ream by hand it wont be perfectly on center. You need to ream in the lathe after indicating concentricity to about "half a thousandth" as the old school machine guys used to say. It takes that much concentricity to not get artifacts in the sound due to mismatch. Having said that..... SOME players, a lot actually get zero artifacts no matter if the pieces match in concentricity or even size. Weird.

One thing that works kind of well, is to have the backbore throat size be bigger than the top throat size. Seems weird, but that can make for a good working and sounding setup. It gives the feel of a bigger throat, and you dont alter the top. Even sometimes gives a better G on top of the staff. Usually only one or two sizes is how far you can go with that rig.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the rim makes a big difference to the feel, sound and response of the mouthpiece. That is why I changed from a 2 piece to a 3 piece (Breslmair) setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: