• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1962 Conn 5A Cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: 1962 Conn 5A Cornet Reply with quote

I wanted to add a cornet to my trumpet collection and found a 1962 Conn 5A Victor short model with a .485 bore at Trent Austin's shop. There's a video of Trent demoing it on his website.

I owned an played a Conn 28B Constellation Bb trumpet between 1953 and 1965 when I quit playing ( and regretfully sold it ). I loved that horn and know the kind of quality Conn instruments offered during that era so I am eager to play my first tune on the 5A cornet.

Anyone here own this model cornet ?
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Sturmbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have a '67 model. The one featured on Christine Derkson's Conn Loyalist site is mine, now minus the dents and with a proper 3rd slide ring. Dale Proctor, who posts here, also has or has had one of these beauties. probably several more...

Great horns! I have only used mine in a brass band setting, but I would imagine they lend themselves to many styles of playing. Big sound when needed, easy blow and good intonation are what I notice about mine.

Congrats of getting a fine instrument!

Bill
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was about to say I think Dale has one, in what appears to be fantastic condition. I've never seen one up close, which is a problem, because I have a weakness for old and interesting cornet designs.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used to have a 5A, but sold it after finding a pristine 9A. Both are great cornets!

Here's the 9A, which is the Coprion version of the 5A. An extremely rare instrument, especially in original condition like this.

aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is me playing my 5A. Merry Christmas! (a little early).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFSWWQFzgJ0
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sturmbill wrote:
Yep, I have a '67 model. The one featured on Christine Derkson's Conn Loyalist site is mine, now minus the dents and with a proper 3rd slide ring. Dale Proctor, who posts here, also has or has had one of these beauties. probably several more...

Great horns! I have only used mine in a brass band setting, but I would imagine they lend themselves to many styles of playing. Big sound when needed, easy blow and good intonation are what I notice about mine.

Congrats of getting a fine instrument!

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I will be using mine occasionally in a small combo but mostly in a larger band setting. I can't wait to get it in my hands.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Yes, I used to have a 5A, but sold it after finding a pristine 9A. Both are great cornets!

Here's the 9A, which is the Coprion version of the 5A. An extremely rare instrument, especially in original condition like this.

What a beauty that is, Dale.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTrumpetdude wrote:
Here is me playing my 5A. Merry Christmas! (a little early).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFSWWQFzgJ0

Thanks for the video, trumpetdude. That sounded so sweet. If I can make mine sound even half as good as you make yours I will be a happy camper.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, aTd

Got any time to describe for us the feel and responsiveness of this Conn 5A versus other cornets?

For instance, why cornet instead of trumpet, and why this one instead of something else?

s/n E24***, but my 5A rarely sounds like THAT!
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to the OP, CONGRATS. You got a good one.

I found that:

a. the wide radius tubing on both sides of the valve block helps me to move thru fast passages with ease. The short cornet is better handling thru the turns than longer, tighter wraps. But attend to the springs, corks and pads to reduce the 'bounce' as much as possible

b. the leadpipe to tuning slide length is much longer than the Conn line-up intermediate 76A, kin to this 5A but modeled after the Olds Recording cornet wrap. The 5A & 9A pro horns share that long front end, much like the Getzen 800. For me it helps me find and keep the center of the note, especially above the staff.

c. the bell end has a dump slide. Neat little tweak: this can be used to fine-tune the horn to your particular blow.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connicalman wrote:
as to the OP, CONGRATS. You got a good one.

I found that:

a. the wide radius tubing on both sides of the valve block helps me to move thru fast passages with ease. The short cornet is better handling thru the turns than longer, tighter wraps. But attend to the springs, corks and pads to reduce the 'bounce' as much as possible

b. the leadpipe to tuning slide length is much longer than the Conn line-up intermediate 76A, kin to this 5A but modeled after the Olds Recording cornet wrap. The 5A & 9A pro horns share that long front end, much like the Getzen 800. For me it helps me find and keep the center of the note, especially above the staff.

c. the bell end has a dump slide. Neat little tweak: this can be used to fine-tune the horn to your particular blow.

Thanks for your very detailed input.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connicalman wrote:
Nice work, aTd

Got any time to describe for us the feel and responsiveness of this Conn 5A versus other cornets?

For instance, why cornet instead of trumpet, and why this one instead of something else?

s/n E24***, but my 5A rarely sounds like THAT!

Thanks connicalman - My 5A responds really well at very low volume and also has a killer low register, which are a couple of the things for me that separate great horns from the rest. Most importantly I really like the sound of it, rich thick sound.

As far as why I choose this horn for the demo, I had just gotten this horn around Christmas last year so I put up the demo. I do lots of demos of vintage horns on my youtube channel. It started out as a way to help sell my horns but now has become a hobby within a hobby. I haven't had a whole lot of cornets though, the other Conns I have had are a '55 28A and a 1890's Wonder. Here is the demo of the 28A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR50uAMUOXU
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey connicalman - You said, "But attend to the springs, corks and pads to reduce the 'bounce' as much as possible."

I just bought a 38A Connstellation, and am having a bounce issue on the 2nd valve. What advice do you have?
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncy valves are my main complaint with the 1960's Connstellation style valves. If you have the top valve caps with the concave underside, you need to make sure you have the proper conical corks to match. That will help a bit. The best fix may be to have all the valves vented. All 3 valves were vented on my 9A when I bought it, which was a little odd. Normally, when someone vents a valve, it's only done to the 3rd one. The 9A valves don't bounce, and the venting of all 3 valves by the PO may be what fixed the problem.
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venting the valves? I guess I don't know anything about that. Tell me more. This was made in '65. The underside of the of the cap looks flat to me, but I haven't taken it apart. I gather this version of valve is a bit mysterious, and all the parts are kinda hidden. I didn't feel good about taking it apart so soon after getting it, just in case things fly out before I see how they go back in.

I bought it Monday. I don't know if the corks and felt are original or not.
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vent is a tiny hole drilled into the side of a valve that aligns with one leg of the valve slide when the valve isn't depressed, but is sealed against the blank side of the valve case when the valve is used. It equalizes the pressure in the closed slide tubing and the atmosphere. It's mainly done to eliminate low and high pressures in the valve tubing when moving slides in and out to aid intonation while playing.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a rather battered 5A a few years before they became all the rage. At the time, I was looking for an affordable horn that played well and could get loud as all heck to take on a tour with a "hard-core" (which is to say, "very loud and very fast") polka band.

By the end of the tour, the 5A was my new best friend.

Looking at the unusual wrap, I had an inspiration. In my defense, the bell had a nasty section where it had obviously been somewhat Dizzy-belled after the last bell brace and then roughly straightened out. The brass looked work-hardened to the point of near cracking, and I imagined the worst if more repair work was attempted. So I researched getting a new bell made for the horn, and one thing led to another...

http://dqscustomshop.com/Custom_Trumpets/conn-victor-5a-cornet/

Michael made an excellent repair on the original bell, and I end up playing it more often with the original brass bell than with the beadless copper bell, but it's a pleasure to play in either configuration.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://dqscustomshop.com/Custom_Trumpets/conn-victor-5a-cornet/

Michael made an excellent repair on the original bell, and I end up playing it more often with the original brass bell than with the beadless copper bell, but it's a pleasure to play in either configuration.

Beautiful and a work of art. Great idea.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

What a beauty that is, Dale.

+1
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered some new springs for my 38A in hopes that they will help the bounce issue, but I'm not sure I can put them in. I showed the horn to a tech today who was unable to remove the valve stem, and it may be difficult to reassemble the valve if you pop the spring clip at the top. I'm trying some Hetman Classic to see if slightly thicker oil might make the valves less bouncy. It may be wishful thinking, but I think it's better.

Here's what the horn looks like. Somebody sure took great care of it all these years! http://slickpic.us/1487205NzTD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: