• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Chart "Sway"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: New Chart "Sway" Reply with quote

I have finished the Song, "Sway" wonderfully arranged by Nolan Murphy. Nolan thank you so much. Hope you folks that are looking for some High Range Tracks will enjoy this,

Dan

Link:
http://www.danburnham.com/fun-music-downloads.html
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely got strength. I'm a little concerned about what may be an intonation issue. A good microphone and mixer is half the battle.

Just as a suggestion, find a way to mix some of the treble out of the final recording. And drop the recording level so the lead trumpet isnt overly dominant.

Next record the thing with tuning slide pulled out almost another quarter inch. Hopefully you wont automatically pull the tone back up to the same sharp pitch. I'm hearing sharpness in the Weather Report tune "Birdland".

Dont take this personally. I can do the same thing too. Heck when I first went out on the road some truly good musicians kept harping on me for blowing sharp. They were right of course but man it really hurt to hear the truth. Eventually I grew out of it. Its just part of the process. Dues and all that. Today my friends often compliment my intonatiin. Esp in the upper register. The same should happen to you.

Good luck!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
burnhamd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Lionel Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will take that under advisement. I am recording with a YETI through a Mac Mini. Thanks for the advice,

Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan thanks! I watch many times your videos. I have decided to buy it from Derek. I like to buy from him. These paints talk to soul... I have received 3 mouthpieces of the V CUP too - TM, TS, HG. Still Heim 2. Interesting all this to me... A week later - I have interestingly more. HG - probably for the leading pipe in orchestra and group. TM - probably, the most universal, but is deep to me today... TS - I study... Also the MF Protocol is interesting to me. Today I try to systematize all this for daily exercises. The best regards of Dan! Thanks to Derek for reciprocity! Good luck!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw,

After reviewing some of the other soundtracks I hear pretty good intonation. Good work. It was just the Birdland tune where the lead trumpet sounded a little high in pitch.

Tuning and recording are tricky matters. I havent figured out how to achieve consistent results. Once in the studio I felt very pleased with my trumpet work. But the engineer had purchased $2500 microphones. And god only knows how much the rest of his system was worth.

burnhamd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

sergeybondarev,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm an old come back player trying to share my experiences with these mouthpieces. Thanks for watching the videos. I try to give the listeners as much info as I can so they can make an informed decision on buying a mouthpiece. After laying off for 34 years and coming back I found that so many things have changed. I love the MF Protocol, it has worked wonderfully for me. My favorite pieces are in order HG, TXS, TS. Thanks again.

Lionel,
Thanks for the kind words as well. I took no offense to your suggestions. You are right. I have fluid on my ears LOL really I do most of the time so I have trouble hearing the highs. I record through a YETI mic into a mac mini using Logic Pro.

I can appreciate what your saying exactly. I try to mix it the best I can but I have come to appreciate those who have an ear for mix down, that is as much of a talent as the guy behind the horn. And I have noticed, that each track is mixed a little bit different LOL.

I wished I had better samples of trumpets, trombones and saxes. I only have access to what is in the software.

My sole purpose of the site is to provide tracks for kids and adults to play along with at home, for free. I remember when I was 16, God Bless her, I drove my mother crazy trying to play along to Maynard Ferguson albums. Neighbors turned us in to the police because they swore I was killing cats in the house, LOL.

Thanks again for listen to the tracks, and I will implement the suggestions in the coming tracks in the future.
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

burnhamd wrote:
sergeybondarev,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm an old come back player trying to share my experiences with these mouthpieces. Thanks for watching the videos. I try to give the listeners as much info as I can so they can make an informed decision on buying a mouthpiece. After laying off for 34 years and coming back I found that so many things have changed. I love the MF Protocol, it has worked wonderfully for me. My favorite pieces are in order HG, TXS, TS. Thanks again.

Lionel,
Thanks for the kind words as well. I took no offense to your suggestions. You are right. I have fluid on my ears LOL really I do most of the time so I have trouble hearing the highs. I record through a YETI mic into a mac mini using Logic Pro.

I can appreciate what your saying exactly. I try to mix it the best I can but I have come to appreciate those who have an ear for mix down, that is as much of a talent as the guy behind the horn. And I have noticed, that each track is mixed a little bit different LOL.

I wished I had better samples of trumpets, trombones and saxes. I only have access to what is in the software.

My sole purpose of the site is to provide tracks for kids and adults to play along with at home, for free. I remember when I was 16, God Bless her, I drove my mother crazy trying to play along to Maynard Ferguson albums. Neighbors turned us in to the police because they swore I was killing cats in the house, LOL.

Thanks again for listen to the tracks, and I will implement the suggestions in the coming tracks in the future.
Dan

As I said before, good work. Your products definitely fill a need. As I'm sure that your neighbors werent the only ones suffering from high notes students living next door. Back in my teens at least we kids lived on full acre lots. Never the less anywhere in the 'hood one could hear Lionel blowing his brains out. And this was back in the early 1970's when Chase and Maynard's M/F II album were the rage.

Your products must be making others think,

"Now thats something very useful. Why didnt I think of that"?

Next I'm thinking you might sell the whole package with likeYamaha's Silent Brass". Because even the neighbors do not like the sound even if played perfectly. We high note trumpets are a poorly understood minority.

Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that your play-along tracks are awesome, what a great project! Thanks for sharing with the trumpet community. I'm sure anyone working on their high register chops will love these resources. You're very generous to share them, and great chops too!

Cheers.
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnhamd
Thanks a lot for the message. I study these mouthpieces in practice in orchestra now. All pay attention to my sound. Of course, there are questions with an articulation and probably the system of exercises. It is interesting to me what exercises are preferred by my colleagues for stability in an upper case...
I should change several times mouthpieces in one concert. I play solo with orchestra and the leading pipe. A question of an articulation and intonation for me daily.
I hope for your councils and the help of colleagues. Best regards
burnhamd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Again Reply with quote

Lionel,
Thanks again, that's funny.

Turkle,
Thank you so much for the kind words. It is a labor of love. This is my sole hope, and that is that this music provides a way out for some kid in a bad situation. I hope this is a way for them to take their horn and find music as their escape, a place where they can find comfort and peace.

For the older guys, I've been asked about gospel tracks for them to play in church. I realize that I don't do "High Church" music if you will but I'm finding most of the come back players in my area want traditional southern gospel hymns to play along with.

This is my ministry which started in October 2016 after laying off from trumpet for 34 years. Just trying give a little back. What is so funny is when I tell people it doesn't cost anything they think I'm crazy or there must be a catch, LOL.

For me it has been a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE to meet people like yourself, Lionel, and sergeybondarev, Lex and many more. That there is worth it.

sergeybondarev,
I know there are a lot of great mouthpiece companies out there. I have dealt with a few of them. Now that I play for enjoyment and the occasional concert I can afford to play whatever kind of music I want and what type of equipment I want. I played Schilke for years, a variety of models. After coming back George Rawlin who I consider to be a dear friend sent me some mouthpieces to try out. One of them was the Legends Brass Roy Stevens model. I really liked it. I played it for a good while. In fact all the tracks that I did the original compositions on my website were done with that model. I eventually changed everything and went to the MF Protocol. After doing that I found out about Derek with Legends Brass. I also found out that he was in Tennessee. So, I called him and we started talking. Thus my journey with the Legends Brass. (Sorry ran a rabbit)
Anyway there are so many camps of thought with regards to what piece you use for whatever. The journey involved in landing the right mouthpiece can be a long one. BUT, you learn so much and it cost so much LOL. Use the piece that works for you for what you are doing.

I like the FBL series mouthpieces and the Holy Grail piece by Derek at Legends Brass. My all time favorite piece though is the Holy Grail. Good luck on you endeavors,

Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
wendym221

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this...fun stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: