• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette and Pickett Short Shank Backbore

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Monette and Pickett Short Shank Backbore Reply with quote

Hey, has anyone tried the Pickett short shank backbores? What was your experience with them on your C trumpet?

The reason I ask is I have a large bore C trumpet and I'm having that compressed octaves issue with pretty much every mouthpiece with a few exceptions. The lower register is only going a smidge sharp, but the upper register gets seriously flat with all but two mouthpieces that I've tried. Have tried large throats and large backbores and both combined, and nothing quite seems to properly resolve the issue.

However, I plugged in a Kanstul copy of the old Monette C2 and - presto! - no more problem. I can play pianissimo scales up to high C and the slots are spot on with no lipping. Even the Eb/E at the top of the staff are in tune without alternate fingering. It's actually pretty remarkable how much difference it makes. And the Monette diehards all say that the Kanstuls don't have 'constant pitch centre' or whatever, so the real thing will probably be even better.

The only problem hitch is that it's not the diameter I play.
So, you say, buy a Monette in my diameter, right? Well, for the classic resonances models they don't have an in my size ready to go, wait time could be 6 months apparently.
They do have the prana configuration in stock in my size. But I'm hesitant to get a prana as I've heard a number of people around here say they find Prana configurations can wear you out when playing on conventional trumpets.
My inclination is to just order the Classic Resonance and wait it out.
Or I can get the classic it in the old STC blank which they have in stock. But I am resistant to spending $250 bucks on an old model. hahah

So if you have any advice about all of that, please let me know.

I thought it might also be worth trying the Pickett short shank backbores in addition to the Monette, as I have a bunch of tops in my size, and it would be nice to be able to actually have the option of using them if I wanted.

So if anyone has played the Pickett Short Shanks let me know what your thoughts were. Also, if you've played a Monette C trumpet piece and can compare, that'd be handy info as well.

Thanks for reading!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've tried the short-shank Pickett's, so I'm going on a tangent from word one...

Your Kanstul copy isn't "exactly" the same as the Monette, but it sounds like it's fair to say that you like that piece...

So why not contact Jim New (who almost certainly made your Kanstul) and have a chat with him about what you're after - odds are, he'll still have the file your piece was made from and can produce a modified version of that piece to your specifications.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TK,

Good suggestion. James New does have all the monette scans that Kanstul have available as their M series. They're all a bit outdated now, and I'm assuming that the newer monette models (Slap cups and Resonance blanks) will be an improvement on the old models.

That said, I actually have James New currently making me a CG Personal (in my diameter) with the CG personal rim and cup, but with an STC1 blank and prana backbore and throat.
No idea if it'll actually play well or not. I'll have to wait and find out.

I do be feel somewhat ethically obligated to at least try a genuine monette seeing as the copy works so well.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind as an option
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked for a used mouthpiece in your size? As I live in Portland, I usually buy my mouthpieces directly from the Monette shop, but last year I needed a C trumpet mouthpiece and didn't have the cash to pay the freight for a new one. I purchased an old C2 (my size) from Thompson Music for less than $100, and had it in a few days.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette and Pickett Short Shank Backbore Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Hey, has anyone tried the Pickett short shank backbores? What was your experience with them on your C trumpet?

When I was playing a Monette C12 S3 I tried a Pickett 1.5c and bought one. I later bought a short shank. It was just that -- a short shank to use with my cup. If your tuning slide is in too far, the short shank can allow it to be pulled more. The only difference I noticed is the difference in the tuning slide. I didn't notice the other improvements the Monette C mouthpiece gave me.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH - Thanks for that information. That's helpful to know!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Monette and Pickett Short Shank Backbore Reply with quote

DH wrote:

When I was playing a Monette C12 S3 I tried a Pickett 1.5c and bought one. I later bought a short shank. It was just that -- a short shank to use with my cup. If your tuning slide is in too far, the short shank can allow it to be pulled more. The only difference I noticed is the difference in the tuning slide. I didn't notice the other improvements the Monette C mouthpiece gave me.

Hey, was yours the OS or the CS.

| just noticed on the pickett website that the description for the OS doesn't mention intonation but the CS does.

Quote:
CS
Very free blowing symphonic backbore. The CS is a Symphonic short-shank backbore designed to help the intonation challenges associated with many C/D/Eflat trumpets. Applications - Orchestral/Symphonic/Soloistic/Chamber playing
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette and Pickett Short Shank Backbore Reply with quote

Hey, was yours the OS or the CS.

| just noticed on the pickett website that the description for the OS doesn't mention intonation but the CS does.

Mine says #OS. I didn't see the CS.... But I buy used when I can and that's the one I found for sale.
Quote:
CS
Very free blowing symphonic backbore. The CS is a Symphonic short-shank backbore designed to help the intonation challenges associated with many C/D/Eflat trumpets. Applications - Orchestral/Symphonic/Soloistic/Chamber playing

Perhaps the CS is the answer I was looking for. Thanks for pointing it out!!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the main difference between the OS and CS is that the OS is bigger (size/shape).
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I believe the main difference between the OS and CS is that the OS is bigger (size/shape).

So we're still back at square one XD
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is often the stock answer, but have you checked with Peter or Eric at the Pickett shop? They've always been super helpful to me.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I know that this is often the stock answer, but have you checked with Peter or Eric at the Pickett shop? They've always been super helpful to me.

I emailed them through their website and asked this:
Quote:
When I used to play Monette, their C tpt mouthpiece was a different mouthpiece, and it DID play better on my C than the Monette Bb mouthpiece. One difference is that it was shorter.

I see you have short shank backbores and am wondering what differences there would be other than the basic pitch difference due to length

The response was
Quote:
Thanks for the message - If you like our standard #0 backbore you would love our short shank #OS model. You can check out a description of the #OS at: http://www.pickettbrass.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_108&products_id=1063

Let me know if you have any further questions.
I didn't really like the #0 backbore per se, it was just the only one I had.

I thought at the time it didn't really answer my question about playing better on a C trumpet, and it didn't (the #OS model.) I didn't check out the #CS on the link and probably should have. That also probably should have been in their answer to me.

So this leaves me wondering the same thing as the OP.... DOES the #CS make a difference on C?
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty crap response from a manufacturer. We can get away with that on the forums but I expect more information from the people making the stuff...
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not what you asked for, but I had my trumpet tech and life saver shorten an exact copy (cup and throat) of my mpc, and then shave the shank off to make i shorter and go further into the reciever.

Due to the alteration of the throat, my octaves had become compressed and hard to push in tune.

This altersation solved this, and as an added bonus opened upp the sound and projection dramatically.

Well worth a try![/img]
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

I emailed them through their website and asked this:
Quote:
When I used to play Monette, their C tpt mouthpiece was a different mouthpiece, and it DID play better on my C than the Monette Bb mouthpiece. One difference is that it was shorter.

I see you have short shank backbores and am wondering what differences there would be other than the basic pitch difference due to length

The response was
Quote:
Thanks for the message - If you like our standard #0 backbore you would love our short shank #OS model. You can check out a description of the #OS at: http://www.pickettbrass.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_108&products_id=1063

Let me know if you have any further questions.
I didn't really like the #0 backbore per se, it was just the only one I had.

I thought at the time it didn't really answer my question about playing better on a C trumpet, and it didn't (the #OS model.) I didn't check out the #CS on the link and probably should have. That also probably should have been in their answer to me.

So this leaves me wondering the same thing as the OP.... DOES the #CS make a difference on C?

I truly think the CS is just smaller.

To be honest, the only short shank that made a significant difference for me (in either Bb or C) is Monette stuff. I think anything else is just making the overall pitch of a horn higher. The way Monette does it with a larger throat is what I believe makes the difference. The difference is more pronounced on Prana pieces (even sharper upper register) because the larger throats of the Prana makes the pitch center higher.

I think the best way to get the effect with Pickett with either a OS or CS would be to get a really large throat like a 22+.

Also, I just had this thought. Perhaps reach out to Phil Snedecor (http://www.philsnedecor.com/Phils_website/Home.html). If I remember right he is playing a Pickett mouthpiece on a Monette C Trumpet after using only Monette gear exclusively for many years. Perhaps he'd have some insightful information.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

I truly think the CS is just smaller.

To be honest, the only short shank that made a significant difference for me (in either Bb or C) is Monette stuff. I think anything else is just making the overall pitch of a horn higher. The way Monette does it with a larger throat is what I believe makes the difference. The difference is more pronounced on Prana pieces (even sharper upper register) because the larger throats of the Prana makes the pitch center higher.

I think the best way to get the effect with Pickett with either a OS or CS would be to get a really large throat like a 22+.

Also, I just had this thought. Perhaps reach out to Phil Snedecor (http://www.philsnedecor.com/Phils_website/Home.html). If I remember right he is playing a Pickett mouthpiece on a Monette C Trumpet after using only Monette gear exclusively for many years. Perhaps he'd have some insightful information.

Hey Jason,

I don't think it's the throat that has the monette effect. The large throat just creates bigger targets.

I think the secret is probably the relationship of the backbore taper to the length.

Which is to say that on a shorter mouthpiece, it's possible to have quicker taper as there is less distance. Which I would imagine would spread the octaves.

That was my theory on it all.

I have James New making me the monette Classic C-length backbore as a screw-backbore with a #27 throat (as that's what most of my tops have). I'll let you all know if it works out or not.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a system where each component plays a role, so what I was saying is taking a 'regular' mouthpiece and making it shorter doesn't have the same effect.

I do know that the throat plays a role in the Monette system though. For example, you can special-order Monette Prana's with a smaller throat, and it will have a much lower pitch center in the upper register (I've had a few that were set up this way in the past, as well as some custom "Half-Pranas" which also had a backbore in between the classic and prana. [These are usually only made for Monette instrument clients] One of these was the best C trumpet mouthpiece I ever played, but the piece was too big for me over all as it was a C15DS1)
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of another factor Monette sparked by the other discussion near the top of this sub-forum. I do believe the gap of Monettes make a difference, and I also believe the very thin walls of the shank play a role when Prana configurations are brought into play.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have tried a GW on it which has a.very sharp/thin shank end it works really well on my Bb but my C doesn't like it, so I can rule that out.

I've also tried a couple of pieces with drilled out #22 throats. r
They're possibly worse than stock.

My Marcink CG personal is pretty close . That has a normal length and a #20

But then, I have a Kanstul CG Personal just with a different rim and slightly larger diameter. That's really flat.

So I'm totally baffled.

Short shank will hopefully help.

If not, I'll talk to Osmun about doing their short-shank process to something and or buy a Monette. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what I'll do. Find someone who can make me a custom leadpipe or something. Unfortunately there's no one in my country that does any of that sort of stuff, so I'll have to ship overseas and back baby blah and it's all goinG to get expensive sigh.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a short shank mouthpiece that you mostly like, you should consider getting it cut for sleeves. Adjusting the gap might take you the rest of the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: