• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Easy playing medium bore horns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Easy playing medium bore horns Reply with quote

I am an intermediate student, and out of curiosity tried a rotary and liked it so much that I only practice on that and have not touched my medium-large bore piston trumpet for a long time. It is a very easy-playing horn - requires very little air and I find it very easy to jump between partials. It has a much smaller bore than a piston trumpet and I attribute the ease of playing to that- I read somewhere on these forums that players think the Schilke B6, B7 are also easy to play because of their medium bore.

To the trumpeters who play larger bore horns, do you find the medium-bore horns easier to play but you don't like them for other reasons? Or, for you the larger bores are just as easy to play and they have some other advantages?

Thank you,
Peter
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are many factors besides bore size that affect how a horn plays, Renold Schilke wrote about that. If a smaller bore size works for you, play that, but I don't think there are any absolutes regarding bore size and playing characteristics.

Brad
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My medium step-bore Yamaha 8310z is the easiest horn I've ever played. Quite literally effortless. If you get the chance to try one, give it a blow.

I also used to play my Connstellation (small bore) as my main axe for many years. Great horn, but not as effortless as the Shew Horn.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the Ingram
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my three horns are medium large bores. The Selmer vintage is a smaller bore and to be honest, I don't think bore size makes any difference in playability in my case.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Easy playing medium bore horns Reply with quote

peter777 wrote:
I am an intermediate student, and out of curiosity tried a rotary and liked it so much that I only practice on that and have not touched my medium-large bore piston trumpet for a long time. It is a very easy-playing horn - requires very little air and I find it very easy to jump between partials. It has a much smaller bore than a piston trumpet and I attribute the ease of playing to that- I read somewhere on these forums that players think the Schilke B6, B7 are also easy to play because of their medium bore.

To the trumpeters who play larger bore horns, do you find the medium-bore horns easier to play but you don't like them for other reasons? Or, for you the larger bores are just as easy to play and they have some other advantages?

Thank you,
Peter

My lifetime trumpet up to now has been a King Super 20 Symphony DB.
A fine instrument which has served me well during 46 years - still in very good condition (not the lacquer). In my efforts to occupy a lead chair I came across the Bach Commercial 1B Medium Large and I have to admit that the Bach is far more easy to play, besides not at all that heavy.
I tested a lot of trumpets (Yamahas, Stomvis, Bachs, Getzens, Hub van Laar) up to this buy but, the Bach was the one for me. The Hub van Laar was also very easy to play (B3).
An important variable is the tone color - do you want brighter or darker sound - what´s the main setting for you, concert band, big band?
My Bach is much brighter than the King (which however pushed hard can penetrate a bigband trumpetsection).
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. To be a tiny bit more objective, is it a true statement that smaller bores require less air? At least, that is my experience, and that's why I think it's easier for me.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I've heard good things about the Ingram

I've owned and gigged on a lacquered Jupiter 1600i for a couple of years, and to me, this horn never felt small. It has always had a very even, balanced blow from bottom to top and it slots like no horn I've ever played. For the rock horn lines I play in the wedding band, this trumpet literally made me a better player because it tightened everything down and increased my accuracy, which was the main reason I bought it in the first place.

There are only two things about the 1600i Ingram that stand out as minor detractors:

1.) The 4th line D is really low. Others have noted that about this horn too. When I first got the horn, due to how the horn pulls you into the slots, in my effort to play that D where I felt it should be, I'd sometimes split to the next higher partial. It's always a note I have to lip up.

2.) The sound - this isn't so much a detractor as much as it's a thing where the character of the sound isn't what I want for the classical music I play - there's a brassiness and cut that comes through even with a bigger mouthpiece any time the volume is pushed just a little bit, and it stands out in a section of Bachs - at least that's been my perspective.

But getting back to the blow, it's a wonderful trumpet and it's nearly perfect if you are doing any kind of lead or commercial type playing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Easy playing medium bore horns Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
peter777 wrote:

Thank you,
Peter

My lifetime trumpet up to now has been a King Super 20 Symphony DB.
A fine instrument which has served me well during 46 years - still in very good condition (not the lacquer). In my efforts to occupy a lead chair I came across the Bach Commercial 1B Medium Large and I have to admit that the Bach is far more easy to play, besides not at all that heavy.
I tested a lot of trumpets (Yamahas, Stomvis, Bachs, Getzens, Hub van Laar) up to this buy but, the Bach was the one for me. The Hub van Laar was also very easy to play (B3).
An important variable is the tone color - do you want brighter or darker sound - what´s the main setting for you, concert band, big band?
My Bach is much brighter than the King (which however pushed hard can penetrate a bigband trumpetsection).

Thanks. I couldn't find information about the King Super, so was that the smaller bore of the two, and you are saying that the larger bore turned out to be easier for you? Or the other way around? Which one is the brighter?

At this point, I'm just learning, and not concerned with the tone for a particular style of music. Simply, I just appreciate the ease of playing because it lets me focus on music - playing etudes, practicing arpeggios, etc.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter777 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. To be a tiny bit more objective, is it a true statement that smaller bores require less air? At least, that is my experience, and that's why I think it's easier for me.

Hi Peter,

According to actual trumpet makers that post on this site, bore size is one of many factors that will affect how open the blow of a horn is, including also leadpipe shape, bell shape, weight of the horn, radius of the tuning slide, bracing, etc.

So all other things being equal, yes, a smaller bore horn will blow tighter, but all other things are generally not equal - everything else on the horn may be different! Small bore horns can play wide open, and large bores can be stuffy. You just have to play the thing and find out.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter777 wrote:

Yes they do. I can play much longer on one breath on a small bore horn. I can play much longer without getting tired. The easiest trumpet I ever played that had the best sound and was basically perfect in every way was a King Liberty.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Conn 10B which is .438. It is easier to manipulate and slur on than my medium large horns. As for sound, I always eventually return to my core sound regardless of mp or horn changes. Its a nice horn that my daughter plays now. Other daughter plays the '55 Special.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally feel that there can be a difference between medium bore and large bore trumpets, but that's arbitrary when you actually get down to playing them.

The best way to feel a difference is if you play two models that are otherwise the same except for bore, over two horn of totally different makes and models.

For example, I can tell the difference between my medium bore and a large bore Committee, but I personally find little difference between my medium bore Schilke and my medium-large bore Benge.There can be a difference, sometimes there's no difference.

For me, I play medium bore horns and I offer my list as an example. I love my med-bore Committee, Schilke B7 and Connstellation. You could try one of these.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(BTW, if you get interested in the Schilke, let me know.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I play and have played medium large, large and medium bore horns over the years and hear is what I found works with me and my observations.

My first pro horn was a Bach 37. Was fine for college, but when I started doing lead and show gigs I thought it to be stuffy. What I know now is that it probably needed blueprinting or at least a PVA. I now have a blueprinted 37 that plays great in all registers.

I have owned and played medium bore horns: a Callet SIMA, Jupiter 1600i, and a Stomvi VR II (my present favorite).

ML: Benge 3, Bach 37's, Lawler TL (great horn and should have kept it), Schilke B5 (should have kept that one too), early Elkhart Bach 72 MLV (a great concert or jazz combo horn, but didn't project for lead).

L: Benge CG, Benge 6X (another great one that got away), Yamaha 739T, Besson Meha, Schilke S22. Flip Oakes Wild Thing.

Here are my observations. All horns played well for me. I found that I didn't like horns that had the feedback way out front. The Sima worked well for loud rock gigs, the sound is out front, but in a concert band setting the clarinets and flutes got slammed with my mf. It didn't feel that way at the horn. I A/Bed the Sima and Wild Thing on 2 back to back rock gigs and found I liked the WT better, it took the air, the SIMA you need to back off. I had same endurance on both horns.

I played lead showband gigs with large bore and medium horns all with good results.

I A/Bed my VR II with my WT the other night. I could do up to DHC on both horns on the same mouthpiece. The difference was the WT was slightly easier upstairs and maybe a little cleaner, but in the middle register and up to maybe D or E the VR II seemed more alive. However, I rarely get a gig that needs the extreme register. It's the sound I'm looking for in the money register.

I think you can acclimate to a horn. I had to do that in the military bands I played with because you are limited to what's in supply. After my first showband tour I determined my Schilke S22 should stay home and I checked out a Besson Meha. At the end of the second tour it was in pieces, held together with rubber bands and duct tape, because of gear handlers and yes, it was in an Anvil case. The other factors are what, how, and how much you practice. I know many guys who play successfully on medium and large horns, it's what you put into it. I like feedback, my Lawler TL also was a great lead horn, adapt and overcome. I have a Scodwell on the way and can't wait to play it.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Interesting personal observation on bore Reply with quote

I bought a new Callet Sima 2 years ago very early in a comeback. It was much easier to play than the Conn 60b I had and I didn't have much breath. A year later I started gravitating toward ML horns as my wind and blow had become more supportive and a ML was now more comfortable than the medium callet. In the last 6https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&tbm=isch&q=maine+coon+images&chips=q:mainecoon+images,g_8:black+smoke&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm68fuqKbWAhVD2IMKHUmQAwEQ4lYISygA&biw=768&bih=960&dpr=2#imgdii=gnaLpoMACayCfM:&imgrc=yJ82DdR45L_PVM: months I bought an Eclipse bell tuned Enigma and found what I thought was a horn that fitted me in every way. I went to ITG to order a new one just exactly right for me. Then I got introduced to the Eclipse interchangeable lead pipe system. He has 6 stock pipes and can draw anything you would like. These pipes made for at least 3 distinct playing horns. The least open 2 were much like playing my Callet and an early Super 20, the middle 2 we just slight variations of my pipe of choice, and the 2 most open felt like a 464 and 470 horn. The sound remained the same for the most part with some differences required in you blow (backing off on smaller - leaning a little more on the bigger. The horn had same bell and valve block thruout the tests. I seriously felt like 3 different horns. Same sound characteristics but more a feel than sound difference. I could tell the really big one would kill me in short order, and that I would have to consciously have to back off on the small. No large differences in ranges or tone in the short time I played. My point is that the leadpipe and bell throat choke if any has more to do with feel than bore or bell. Sound not as much as bell. FWIW
Rod
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find one, my ‘41 Handcraft Committee #2 is by far the easiest med bore I’ve ever played. Steve and Shawn (Zman), and I would venture to say Chris Botti (I would think he’s played a #2?) would all corroborate...

Link

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Handcraft!
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a handcraft, and a famous one to boot:

1941 Martin Handcraft Committee Trumpet

The price may seem esoteric, but if you're committing to playing the rest of your life (like the rest of us), and giving equal attention to a medium bore, then this is worth every penny. IMHO, the best there is.
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a .468 Reynolds that's easy to play. Consider lots more than bore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: