• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I dunno about all this pressure stuff. I know in College, playing lead on top of 4 other very strong trumpet players you all recognize, Bobby Burns's DHC was so loud that David Baker had to ask Bobby to play softer. Bobby was already playing as soft as he could, and certainly did not seem engaged in any strenuous activity.

I think something else besides just more air pressure can be involved?

Yes more is involved - practice and a lot of it. Bobby didn't start out that way - he worked his butt off to gain the ability he has! He and I have been friends since the mid 1980's when we both played in the Los Angeles Jazz Workshop big bands along with guys like Wayne Bergeron. Then years later under the subject heading of "it's a small world" Bobby and I found ourselves working together in the pit orchestra for Evita during a run in Berlin, Germany. I was just subbing on the 2nd book (I lived in Berlin at the time). Then when the run resumed in the Fall, Bobby had another job so I was offered and took the 1st trumpet position on Evita. It was shortly after that when Bobby got the spot with EW&F. He earned that spot!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:

The tongue as in anchor tonguing also creates a funnel and focuses the airstrean down from the entire width of our mouth (like non arch players) to about 1/8 of an inch width in the extreme upper register.

Since it has already been shown in science experiments at the University of BC that cutting the width of the airstream in half raises the pitch an octave.... well you see how this might be why so many pros keep telling people to learn how to anchor tongue.

Exactly!!!

Though I would submit that the funnel created by the up and forward arched tongue (while anchor tonguing) in the extreme upper register could very well be even less than an eighth inch in diameter.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old thread, but Charlie Porter posted a video that explains compression in simple terms. I found this very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22k_eacohto

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie's video is not a very good explanation. A "resistance" is not a "compression".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: