• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1979 LA Benge 3X MLP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oceans11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: 1979 LA Benge 3X MLP Reply with quote

Hi all,
looking for your opinions on a 1979 3X MLP LA Benge with a 5 digit s.n. in the
30,xxx's.I do know that was roughly about the time the company was bought out
and the quality went down hill from there. Just like all of us out there,
I don't want to get something that won't live up to Benge name.

Thanks for your time.
L.A. Benge pocket trumpet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugelhorn
1968 Olds Ambassador cornet
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
1957Olds 0-20 valve trombone
jazztrumpet216
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 3x around the same serial number. It was a player. Had a little bit of the Benge scale, but not bad at all. It's one of the horns I regret selling, but I didn't play if much after my rock band folded so I sold it to someone who was going to get more use out of it.

If I had a chance to buy it all over again, I would.

1940 NY Bach 7/37 — 2009 Bach Philadelphia C — 1972 Bach 37/Melk #3 — 1969 Yamaha 734 — 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43 — 2013 Schilke P5-4 B/G — 1990's Getzen Eterna flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you have a chance to try it before you buy it? Can you return it if you don't like it?

I owned a 3X MLP from around the same time and thought that it was a really nice horn. Regardless, the horn you are interested in was built almost 40 years ago. It might have been very well built and then played heavily, poorly maintained, or undergone trauma or "improvements." None of those things might be clear if you cannot try before you buy.

Good luck!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same horn, built just slightly later (1980). Mine happened to be in excellent condition when I got it, and I also sent it to Flip Oakes for his "total enhancement" (well worth the cost, IMO).
It's a great example of a Benge, very vibrant and bright sound, cuts over the amps in the 14 piece funk band I work with. I did have Doctor Valve rebuild the valves also, between that and the enhancement I think it's an even better horn than it probably was when it was built.

Honestly, mine played very well even before I had work done to it, Steve told me that he could try a few things short of a complete valve rebuild, but I spent the money for that and Flip's enhancement because I wanted a Benge that was exceptional. It is.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Benge 3x Reply with quote

The same horn that was the Benge is manufactured by Kanstul now in Anaheim, Ca. There are a couple tests playing it on YouTube that I thought showed it had the old Benge sparkle. I wish I had kept mine. But, the Burbank horn, which is what they call it is slightly heavier but responsive like the Benge, open and you can change the sound by choosing different mouthpieces. Check it out, it couldn't hurt. And Good Luck!
Oceans11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It looks to be in fine shape. One of those that was played for a few years, then put away in a closet until now. unfortunately no way to play it
before buying. Gotta think about this one.
L.A. Benge pocket trumpet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugelhorn
1968 Olds Ambassador cornet
1947 Olds Super cornet
1954 Olds Super trombone
1957Olds 0-20 valve trombone
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oceans11 wrote:
Thanks guys. It looks to be in fine shape. One of those that was played for a few years, then put away in a closet until now. unfortunately no way to play it
before buying. Gotta think about this one.

It sounds like a nice horn, but of course things like red rot or valve problems don't show in a pic. But if you want a Benge, knowing some of their characteristics, it might be something to consider. Depending on the price, if you buy it and it does have problems, your choices would be to have it fixed or re-sell it. Mine needed valve work, I don't regret having it done one bit, but I realize if I ever did sell it (unlikely), I probably would not get all my money back out of it. Which to me is ok; I don't buy horns as investments.

Brad
gunnarerikc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great horn. Although mine is just a few years older, it's the same one I have. Such an awesome trumpet. It's the only trumpet I play and have been for 40 years. Not only is it a great playing horn, it's a collectors item. Go for it.
"If I could Play like Wynton Marsalis I would without a doubt, 100% play like Wynton Marsalis" -Me
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 LA Benge 3X MLP Reply with quote

Oceans11 wrote:
Hi all,
looking for your opinions on a 1979 3X MLP LA Benge with a 5 digit s.n. in the
30,xxx's.I do know that was roughly about the time the company was bought out
and the quality went down hill from there. Just like all of us out there,
I don't want to get something that won't live up to Benge name.

Thanks for your time.

There's a pretty good chance it will at least play well. If you're lucky, it'll play great. I have a beater 3X+ from about '74, it's nothing to look at, but the sound!
https://yourbrass.com/
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge MLP 3x was THE horn to own back in the early 70s. Lots of players in many bands that I worked in preferred that sound over just about everything else. At .464, it is slightly larger than the Bach Strad Large Bores and offers the lightweight blow of an old school Bach 72*/43 but with a very different "hey you in the back of the room" wakeup sound! My old '71 Benge has been a monster for a long time and my grandson is waiting for the pass to him.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason LA Benge trumpets market prices aren't insane like many other horns. And for a relatively small investment you get a heck of a horn and you can always resell an LA Benge if it doesn't have major issues.

I've owned a few 3X MLPs over the years and they're always a joy to play and well built machines. I've never had one in the 30,000 serial range but pretty close. I think as long as it's a pre Ohio built Benge it's a safe bet to be a fun trumpet. Go for it!

Last edited by trumpet.trader on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: LA Benge 3x Reply with quote

I had a Benge serial number 10000s from 72 or 73. It was a rock ship and also very versatile. Range, projection. Easy blow. People tell me to stay away from the numbers that are associated with late 70s and later. But, if you have a chance at a hands on inspection that should allay any doubts you have. If you find a good one you will enjoy it alot. Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: