• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Building my library

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Building my library Reply with quote

Hope this is in the right place.
I noticed there are now several Arban books available and some specifically state "Authentic" in the title. Are there knock off versions? So I have a 2 part question.
Which is the correct version and how many prefer the digital version?

JJ
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct version..?? no real answer.

If you're getting one, I would look for the Arban's Complete Conservatory Method.. so that you have all of the material..

However, I do prefer Allen Vizzutti's version.. especially if you get the spiral bound book..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Correct version..?? no real answer.

If you're getting one, I would look for the Arban's Complete Conservatory Method.. so that you have all of the material..

However, I do prefer Allen Vizzutti's version.. especially if you get the spiral bound book..

Sounds good.
Apparently there was a 2013 version published with errors. I picked up the 2015 publish date which I believed corrected the errors.

JJ
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeDad wrote:
I picked up the 2015 publish date which I believed corrected the errors.

Near as I can tell they all have errors. Figuring out the errors is part of the education.

If you're interested in following a guide (such as https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/) you'll want the version that looks like this:

Gary.

PS: You asked about the digital version: I have it - the only thing I use it for is printing out large-print versions of the characteristic etudes. It's much quicker to find post-it's in the printed version than to scroll to a page with a viewer. And teachers write in the book - that's what they all do.

Last edited by ghelbig on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/NewArban.html

Pops McLaughlin's edition.

You might want to consider this one.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I can't post pics here's the one I picked up. It's supposedly just reformatted for easier reading etc. also picked up Clark and schlossberg books as well.
Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet https://www.amazon.com/dp/0825848849/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zZeXzbM5VC3TX

JJ[/img]
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different versions of Arban's method. The method is in the public domain, so there’s no need for anyone to make a “knock off” version. Almost all of the versions of Arban’s method that I have seen include the same set of exercises, though not always in the same order.

In the United States, I'd say that the "standard" version is the one published by Carl Fischer with Goldman and Smith (or Goldman, Smith and Gordon) listed as the editors. Aside from editorial comments that version has largely gone unchanged since 1893.

There are many editions of Arban’s method that are essentially copies of the Carl Fischer edition (which may itself be a copy; I don’t know). Carl Fischer has several versions of its own edition. The latest is edited by Hooten and Marotta. It spreads out some of the exercises and studies to make them more legible, but includes no new exercises/studies.

There are also editions that contain some minor changes or additional material. Examples include the Charles Colin edition, which adds Arban’s Opera Fantaisies and some notes by Colin; the Vizzutti and Jacobs edition, which adds notes by Vizzutti and Vuzzutti’s Carnival of Venus solo; and the International Music Diffusion edition, which adds several solos and fantaisies by Arban (different from those in the Colin edition).

Finally, there are a few editions that are quite different:

The Maire edition published by Alphonse Leduc. This is broken down into three volumes. The exercises do not follow the order in the Carl Fischer edition. There are new sections on transposition, the scale section is reworked, 12 Etudes of Style have been added, along with 27 Modern Etudes.

The Andre-Ricquier version, published by Gerard Billaudot, reorders Arban into lessons of increasing difficulty. At least some of the songs in “The Art of Phrasing” section are different from the Carl Fischer edition.

The version by “Pops” McLaughlin, which takes a few exercises from the various sections of the Arban method and transposes them up a step, two steps, three steps…into the extreme upper register. It includes some new exercises as well.
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
There are many different versions of Arban's method. The method is in the public domain, so there’s no need for anyone to make a “knock off” version. Almost all of the versions of Arban’s method that I have seen include the same set of exercises, though not always in the same order.

In the United States, I'd say that the "standard" version is the one published by Carl Fischer with Goldman and Smith (or Goldman, Smith and Gordon) listed as the editors. Aside from editorial comments that version has largely gone unchanged since 1893.

There are many editions of Arban’s method that are essentially copies of the Carl Fischer edition (which may itself be a copy; I don’t know). Carl Fischer has several versions of its own edition. The latest is edited by Hooten and Marotta. It spreads out some of the exercises and studies to make them more legible, but includes no new exercises/studies.

There are also editions that contain some minor changes or additional material. Examples include the Charles Colin edition, which adds Arban’s Opera Fantaisies and some notes by Colin; the Vizzutti and Jacobs edition, which adds notes by Vizzutti and Vuzzutti’s Carnival of Venus solo; and the International Music Diffusion edition, which adds several solos and fantaisies by Arban (different from those in the Colin edition).

Finally, there are a few editions that are quite different:

The Maire edition published by Alphonse Leduc. This is broken down into three volumes. The exercises do not follow the order in the Carl Fischer edition. There are new sections on transposition, the scale section is reworked, 12 Etudes of Style have been added, along with 27 Modern Etudes.

The Andre-Ricquier version, published by Gerard Billaudot, reorders Arban into lessons of increasing difficulty. At least some of the songs in “The Art of Phrasing” section are different from the Carl Fischer edition.

The version by “Pops” McLaughlin, which takes a few exercises from the various sections of the Arban method and transposes them up a step, two steps, three steps…into the extreme upper register. It includes some new exercises as well.

We have a winner!
Thanks for the clarification.
I got the 2nd version by hooten and maroota
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two printed copies, my first copy, which is pretty beat-up, and a newer copy I bought in recent years. Now I use a digital copy on my iPad Pro with ForScore for convenience.
Piccolo Stomvi
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maire edition (mentioned above) is quite a bit different from what most people think of when they envision an Arban book. It's huge (in printed form at least, very large format paper), three volumes, and a lot of interesting new/different material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: