• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass as a first horn?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephemere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Carol Brass as a first horn? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

(This is a follow-up on my first post over on the mouthpiece forum.)

Would a Carol Brass CTR-4000H-YSS-L be a reasonable horn for a 9-year-old starting out? I know it's overkill compared to a student model such as an Olds Ambassador or Yamaha 2330/2335. But putting that aside, is there any reason why the CB 4000 would actually be more difficult to learn on than a student horn?

I originally chose the CTR-5000L-YST-L, but I got some advice over on the mouthpiece forum that the 4000 would be easier for a beginner due to the smaller leadpipe (explained here).

My original plan was to pick up an Olds Ambassador. But at the price that the nicer ones were going for, plus shipping, a new case, and some money for servicing, it's ends up more than I wanted to pay for a 50-year-old instrument that is unlikely to be headache-free.

Finally, someone recommended a used student cornet as a backup horn for practicing. I'm curious about this because Thomann has a cornet under their own label for quite a low price. Is there a rationale for this?

TrumpetHerald has been super-helpful to me so far. Thanks!
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your budget but I picked up a new Kanstul 700 for my daughter for under 700. And for me if I can pick up a Known good horn for the same or less than an unknown variable horn I'm going with the sure thing. Ymmv.

JJ
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Carol cornet Reply with quote

Better to buy a newer trumpet. Most of the older student trumpets don't have a first slide thumb saddle. I have owed many ... vintage trumpets and cornets. With the cost of repairs etc. my money would have been better spent on lessons.

Yes. A Carol Brass CTR-4000H-YSS-L or a CTR-4000H-YSS-S is a reasonable horn for a 9-year-old starting out. Ask for a smaller size mouthpiece. Excellent price for both trumpets. Trumpet should last her a long time. What is the return policy?

Not sure what country you live. In USA silver plated is preferred. Generally High school band directors like silver plated Bachs or Yamahas.

Will your daughter have a private instructor,music teacher or both? A brass instructor could tell you if the mouthpiece is suitable.

Good luck. You are an excellent parent.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to check might be Austin Custom Brass. Trent (owner, and one **** of a player) has some student level instruments under either his own label or Manchester Brass (which is basically Carol Brass), and Trent does not sell any junk.

As others have mentioned, the Carol 5000L is more of a lightweight commercial horn, and being lighter also means easier to dent...which always happens with kids. It's also relatively bright, and might not be the best choice for concert band. (That being said, beginners' challenges in starting out pretty much over ride tone color; just a good clear tone period takes a while to develop). Not a terrible choice for a beginner, but I think there are better and even cheaper options.

In the area where I teach private lessons, 90% of beginners show up with Yamaha 2335's. I personally don't especially like them (they're NOT terrible, and are ok for a beginner), but that's what the local music store chain uses for it's beginner rental programs.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Carol cornet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Better to buy a newer trumpet. Most of the older student trumpets don't have a first slide thumb saddle. I have owed many ... vintage trumpets and cornets. With the cost of repairs etc. my money would have been better spent on lessons.

I'd agree with not owning a high-maintenance vintage horn for a student.

I'd also say that the presence or lack of a first slide thumb saddle on a student horn is essentially irrelevant. It certainly doesn't hurt, but even I, when I played at a high level, only occasionally used it. Some sort of adjustment device on a third slide is far more important, in my opinion. Fortunately, most horns - even vintage ones - have that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Carol cornet Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

I'd agree with not owning a high-maintenance vintage horn for a student.

I'd also say that the presence or lack of a first slide thumb saddle on a student horn is essentially irrelevant. It certainly doesn't hurt, but even I, when I played at a high level, only occasionally used it. Some sort of adjustment device on a third slide is far more important, in my opinion. Fortunately, most horns - even vintage ones - have that.

Agreed!

Brad
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CarolBrass makes excellent cornets, and a cornet might be more comfortable to hold for a young person, promote good posture. Brasspire and Jupiter are brands worth considering too.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ephemere, Why not get your young daughter a CarolBrass or Manchester pocket trumpet instead of a full size one?

Carol and Manchester make pocket trumpets that are excellent instruments, Not toys by any stretch of the imagination.... For all I read, these beauties are built to last... And all the videos I have heard of them makes me feel that they are quite good.

Reason that I am suggesting a pocket model is that a small person like a 9-year old might find holding up a long trumpet during long band practice sessions somewhat tiring... She will have to extend//stretch her arms in front of her proportionally much more than an adult.

But matthes93401 is absolutely right... A short cornet would work perfectly as well.... I simply adore my shorty Carolbrass CCR-7772R triple crooker.... And am way past 9 years of age. Mine has a .465 bore... Perhaps for your daughter, the 7770 variant with its .460 bore might work even better. The cornet is available in Yellow, golden, and red brass..... And with the usual Carolbrass finishes... Lackquered or silver plate, scratched or shiny. IMO, these cornets are life-long keepers. And intonation is as easy as it gets. The Carolbrass Classic mouthpiece that the horn comes with is delightful... It reminds me of a Wick "B" cup with a "better hair-cut".

Finally, there is the Carolbrass CTR-1100 Mini Pocket trumpet... Only 6" long... Basic, but sturdily constructed.... Costs about $450. Nice, but from the videos I have seen/heard, it does not seem to have the breadth of tone of the standrd pocket trumpets, let along the marvellous Carolbrass triple crook cornets.

Regards, Guido
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Hi ephemere, Why not get your young daughter a CarolBrass or Manchester pocket trumpet instead of a full size one?

Carol and Manchester make pocket trumpets that are excellent instruments, Not toys by any stretch of the imagination.... For all I read, these beauties are built to last... And all the videos I have heard of them makes me feel that they are quite good.

Reason that I am suggesting a pocket model is that a small person like a 9-year old might find holding up a long trumpet during long band practice sessions somewhat tiring... She will have to extend//stretch her arms in front of her proportionally much more than an adult.

But matthes93401 is absolutely right... A short cornet would work perfectly as well.... I simply adore my shorty Carolbrass CCR-7772R triple crooker.... And am way past 9 years of age. Mine has a .465 bore... Perhaps for your daughter, the 7770 variant with its .460 bore might work even better. The cornet is available in Yellow, golden, and red brass..... And with the usual Carolbrass finishes... Lackquered or silver plate, scratched or shiny. IMO, these cornets are life-long keepers. And intonation is as easy as it gets. The Carolbrass Classic mouthpiece that the horn comes with is delightful... It reminds me of a Wick "B" cup with a "better hair-cut".

Finally, there is the Carolbrass CTR-1100 Mini Pocket trumpet... Only 6" long... Basic, but sturdily constructed.... Costs about $450. Nice, but from the videos I have seen/heard, it does not seem to have the breadth of tone of the standrd pocket trumpets, let along the marvellous Carolbrass triple crook cornets.

Regards, Guido

I agree that a cornet for a beginner is a good idea, for reasons you mention, and if it was up to me (it's not), I would have most of my beginners start on cornet. But I think a pocket trumpet would make the kid "stick out" if they are in any school ensemble. Kids tend to be influenced by their peers, and a pocket trumpet, in my opinion, is not a good idea.

Brad
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught beginning trumpet for 32 years. If she is a normal sized 9 year old she can manage a trumpet. Don't bother with a cornet or pocket trumpet. The 4000 would be an excellent horn that she could play all the way through High School.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely remove pocket trumpets from the list of options. First, I doubt you will find any in 9 year old’s clsssmates. Fitting in is a big deal at that age. Second, standard mutes don’t fit some pocket trumpets.

I also would avoid cornets. Both my son and I started on cornet, so it isn’t the cornet per se, but again the child will be different. Also true cornets have a different sound concept than a trumpet.

In my opinion both of these reasons outweigh any benefit of having a shorter instrument which might, might, help initially, but will soon not be needed and you will need to purchase a trumpet.

As I did with my son.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do a lot worse than a horn from CB!
I think a cornet should be played as such so not recommending that for a beginners
I still fell pocket horns are a novelty
Kids don't want to be the odd man out so new, shiny and regular trumpets fit the bill
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dennis78 and LittleRusty

The blow and sound of a pocket trumpet (i've a good one : CB ...) is somewhat frustrating for a trained player compared to the real thing, why impose that to a beginner ?

The cornet is not a bad idea,(i began on a Selmer one) but why ? Smaller wrap, sweeter sound ok. But as previously said in other beginners threads your kid risk to be "the one with the cornet" (and not appreciate that...)

Finally if you are in Europe (you speak from Thomann in the mpc thread) the 4000 CB seems to be a good choice, 538 Euros at your door, good playability and intonation, well made, very good valves after the breaking period (clean the valves and re oil after each day use the first weeks)

Just add a good Mpc : Yamaha 11B4, Bach 3 to 8 C and the most important : a good teacher.

After a few lessons the teacher will be able to give your kid some mouthpiece to try or/and advices for the mpc choice if the initial choice seems wrong for him.

Good luck to your daughter
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredo wrote:
Finally if you are in Europe...
Traditions might be different if you aren't in the US. For instance British brass bands use cornets. Perhaps they start people on them also.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find student models by Bach, Yamaha, Besson, Olds, Holton on a site like your local Craigslist for $200 (or less every) day.

They come with a case and are in ready to play condition. No costly repairs needed. Most are in outstanding shiny shape. Since they are local, no shipping and you can check it out yourself in person.

Absurd to pay (an irresponsible for someone to suggest) paying hundreds more for a brand most people have never heard of...unless they read Trumpet Herald. And wait till you have to try to sell one of these brands if your daughter decides to not play anymore.

A what? These people really piss me off...have for years now.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB makes very good horns - you will not be disappointed.
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a good used Carol Brass there are lots of them available. Have it ultrasonically cleaned and your good to go. 6280 H is a clone of a 37 Bach, good choice IMO.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:
You can find student models by Bach, Yamaha, Besson, Olds, Holton on a site like your local Craigslist for $200 (or less every) day.

They come with a case and are in ready to play condition. No costly repairs needed. Most are in outstanding shiny shape. Since they are local, no shipping and you can check it out yourself in person.

Absurd to pay (an irresponsible for someone to suggest) paying hundreds more for a brand most people have never heard of...unless they read Trumpet Herald. And wait till you have to try to sell one of these brands if your daughter decides to not play anymore.

I agree with most of the above, but “irresponsible”? Sounds a bit extreme to me.

Brad
ephemere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice!

I haven't had good luck shopping for a used horn. Folks on craigslist seem to want about 2x the going rate, and every single ebay listing I was following sold for much more than I was willing to pay. Maybe it's just that time of year.... That said, jgadvert has got me looking at craigslist again this morning. I do see an unidentified Bach that I might be able to get for cheap—marked "Bach USA" on the bell, otherwise I can't tell what model/vintage.

Also, while my daughter doesn't need a shiny new horn, I draw the line at sending her to and from school carrying one of those beat-up Olds Ambassador cases. That's just not going to fly with the 4th-grade set.

I really appreciate the feedback!
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:

If you are referring to Carol Brass horn in your rant here, you seem to ignore the fact that they have become pretty well-known for their quality in the last 10 years or so. So in the case you mean CB trumpets you are not right in my opininon using such a harsh tone in your post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: