• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hammond for jazz/commercial pro work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Hammond for jazz/commercial pro work? Reply with quote

Does anybody use Hammond's S cup mouthpiece for commercial and jazz playing? I'm looking for a piece with a more flexible sound than my old trusty Burbank Marcinkiewicz E8 Baptist.

My Burbank Baptist, while being the most comfortable piece I've ever played, sort of has a "Studio Brignt EQ" setting that is hard to shape, for lack of better words. It really doesn't respond well to playing with a more subdued timbre. I can do so, but I have to actively expend more effort to tame the sound...

I'm thinking about the 6S Hammond. Ideally, need an efficient piece that has a very flexible sound. I cover lots of genres and eras in my performance, and I need a piece that can both be zippy on one tune (Like Charlie Shavers), and then mellow and blends well later (like Chet). Tall order for one mouthpiece, I know...
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Sturmbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the 5S in a big band setting, and am quite happy with it. I had been using a Curry, but like the color palette the Hammond gives me. I have to play a little lead, some 2nd and a lot of 3rd, and it seems to work well for me in all those settings. Even when doing the solo on Li'l Darlin' it has a nice rich sound.

I'm sold.
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6S, 7S, and a few custom pieces around that size. Great response and intonation, and clearer articulations versus other brands. Highly recommend them!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Truman

why not making open the backbore at the bottom and mid-part?

When i played the Marcinkiewicz Ingram, I made open by a pro an exemplar of this model, when i needed a less bright sound than the lead sound the original mpc gave me.
I then used that "opened" Ingram for bands where i needed still high register with less cutting sound. It was perfect for that purpose.

When i upsized, and Marcinkiewicz made me custom mpcs with a 0.05mm larger ID, i asked for 2 lead mpcs, one having a piccolo backbore for the contexts i talked about above.

so i think that buying another Marcink. Baptist, and make the bb open at the bottom and mid-part, would suit you (or maybe ask Marcinkiewicz to send you a Baptist with a picc. bb)

best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: