• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's Your "Rough Day" Routine?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: What's Your "Rough Day" Routine? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure we all have those days when we just... well suck. Stuff isn't speaking. You're missing notes left and right. I'm sure you know the drill.

I've heard everything from "spend an hour doing clarke instead of what you intended to practice" to "just put the horn away, come back tomorrow."

Anyone have advice for getting through those occasional crap days?
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the luxury of putting the thing in the box and walking away, sometimes that's the best option. It's certainly the easiest!

But sometimes -- or usually, depending on your playing schedule -- we don't have that option. I think the biggest mistake you can make is to think, "Man, things are really messed up. I should totally focus on how crappy I feel and do stuff I never do!" I understand the temptation to try to correct course and force things to work; but I can't say I've had a lot of success with that approach... and I've certainly tried.

I just do my thing. It worked yesterday and the day before that, it will work today. I might take more time between exercises, I might back up and do something again if it starts coming off the rails, I might just keep doing my routine over and over until it works. Better yet, I might go listen to recordings of Herseth for a while to wash out my brain. Trying to fix things just draws my attention to what's wrong, and that way lies frustration. For me, if things aren't working, it's because I need to get my head out of my posterior cavity and into the sound... where it belongs.

Even if you don't buy into to that kind of approach to the instrument, I still think the best solution to bad days is a calm, careful, focussed effort to return to what you always do... by doing what you always do.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find practicing a consistent, well-balanced daily routine reduces or eliminates "off-days" entirely. If I have an off-day, I don't deviate from my routine - I just do the best I can. If my routine is the correct routine for me, what would be better?

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhardt Routines, day 1. (And day 2 is a nice follow up to that, for the next day). This deserves the caveat that it will work better if your first time playing these drills isn't a day as described in the OP, consistent with what the 2 above posters said.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I’m just exhausted from over-exertion, I work on whatever seems to be giving me trouble, at an easy enough level that I can start turning it around successfully.
Piccolo Stomvi
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well let's see.......

I let my beard grow out
I get my leather together

oh, you said rough day routine

oops! never mind
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
well let's see.......

I let my beard grow out

oops! never mind

Actual lol

One of the finest comments yet made on this forum
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
If you have the luxury of putting the thing in the box and walking away, sometimes that's the best option. It's certainly the easiest!

But sometimes -- or usually, depending on your playing schedule -- we don't have that option. I think the biggest mistake you can make is to think, "Man, things are really messed up. I should totally focus on how crappy I feel and do stuff I never do!" I understand the temptation to try to correct course and force things to work; but I can't say I've had a lot of success with that approach... and I've certainly tried.

I just do my thing. It worked yesterday and the day before that, it will work today. I might take more time between exercises, I might back up and do something again if it starts coming off the rails, I might just keep doing my routine over and over until it works. Better yet, I might go listen to recordings of Herseth for a while to wash out my brain. Trying to fix things just draws my attention to what's wrong, and that way lies frustration. For me, if things aren't working, it's because I need to get my head out of my posterior cavity and into the sound... where it belongs.

Even if you don't buy into to that kind of approach to the instrument, I still think the best solution to bad days is a calm, careful, focussed effort to return to what you always do... by doing what you always do.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE !!!
Especially the part about... It worked yesterday... It work the day before that...
it will work today !
dutchtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Here's a version from my practice and teaching. Reply with quote

something like this...

http://www.simpletrumpet.com/trumpet-blog/its-not-a-routine-unless-it-happens-every-day

Last edited by dutchtrumpet on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do simple things and spend extra time breathing and listening.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
homebilly wrote:
well let's see.......

I let my beard grow out

oops! never mind

Actual lol

One of the finest comments yet made on this forum

thank you Turkle

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
like John Mohan & others said, a good regular routine will prevent you from such probs; BUT sometimes, it's not sufficient (shape, or hard rehearsal or gig the day before etc). In such case, i mean when you are tired more than usual for various reasons, if i don't rest completely, i do a lot of fluttering, and play clarke only in the low register, slowly and piano-mezzo piano.
best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's Your "Rough Day" Routine? Reply with quote

jjtrumpet wrote:
I'm pretty sure we all have those days when we just... well suck. Stuff isn't speaking. You're missing notes left and right. I'm sure you know the drill.

I've heard everything from "spend an hour doing clarke instead of what you intended to practice" to "just put the horn away, come back tomorrow."

Anyone have advice for getting through those occasional crap days?

Long answer:
Seems a day like that is characterised by lack of concentration which in its turn could depend on just anything, from worries that d-n car has to be fixed, will I ever attain some proficiency, having practiced for n years still long way from even remotely sound like .....you name it.
Amittedly it is an ordeal to diligently practice every day, always bear in mind you will have to practice or else (=vacation eh? can I bring the horn?; "you will have to go see XXX today - oh and I thought I could practice" etc). A streak of "nerdishness" goes with our playing.
Quite demanding. So, very human experiencing lacking geist. What to do?
Accept it Doesn´t mean your suffering from a playing meltdown.
But if recurrent days you might have to ask yourself questions like "is this what I really want to do?" "What´s the goal"? "Do I have some gigs to look forward to?"
Short answer: never mind, will always come another day. Winter turns into spring´.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's Your "Rough Day" Routine? Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Seems a day like that is characterised by lack of concentration which in its turn could depend on just anything, from worries that d-n car has to be fixed, will I ever attain some proficiency, having practiced for n years still long way from even remotely sound like .....you name it.
Short answer: never mind, will always come another day. Winter turns into spring´.

Right on, Seymor. If my mind is pre-occupied in any way ( especially if I am dealing with a major problem ) my practice , and my playing in general , just goes to hell in a basket. In my case it may be an age thing, but anyway, the next day, when some major issue has been resolved and I concentrate on the instrument in my hands, I am good to go once again. So I have learned not to sweat over those occasional bad days.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of - I think it was Bud Herseth? - someone said "when you sound great, it's because you're breathing well."

So when my chops are not responding correctly, I play long tones, breathing real easy, and the first few Schlossberg exercises. Once I have my breathing together, everything else falls into place. Everything - range, articulation, accuracy, the whole bag - starts with a nice relaxed breath.

Hope this helps.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with John M. It's very rare that I can't get in productive practice by just scaling back my expectations and focusing on fundamentals.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aspect talked by Seymour is right too.
i'll add to my previous suggestions leadpipe playing for couples of minutes, previous to the soft "oxygenating" practice
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere along the way I decided that most of my bad days, were really bad warmups. By that I mean, I was a little 'hungover' chopwise from the day before, and the warmup felt horrible initially.

Then I decided to do part of it, for about 10 minutes or less, then put the horn down and walk away for about a half hour while the increased blood flow flushed out the previous days leftovers, if you will.

Seems to always be much better when you come back to it a little while later. Unless you really wounded yourself somehow, it seems to solve most of those 'what's up with my face today?' warmups.

Free to try it out for yourself.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare that I ever feel truly wrecked but when I wake up feeling swollen or tight I try to make the easiest sound. I start the day focusing on the sound I expect to produce and listen for the most immediate response with breath attacks. I do the "Pah" pronunciation on the leadpipe before proceeding on to middle G until I start to feel normal. Then I do the regular routine but try to do it a little softer and take more time for rest.
Raggerty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an easier version of what I normally do. Slower, lower, and creep up to the standard version of what I normally do, but if I cannot get there I finish early and put the horn down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: